New Year's Day Brighton Vs. Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not that he was playing particularly well today, but we haven't threatened at all since Puli came off

2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    our passing has been woeful

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We are too lax when we score and it happens every single time. We’re too casual and instead of making an effort to close the game, shit like this happens.

lobomojo and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  4. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kepa to the rescue again

5. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kepa saves our ass again

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #31 Naughtius Maximus, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Is it possible we could make at least ONE pass forward which doesn't go straight to one of their players?

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Honestly, after the goal, we don’t do enough to shut it down. We never really created much chances.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, you could also say the same about Mount but, tbh, we weren't doing a lot before as well. There's a reason they went off.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ahh shite more points wasted

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Timo time

11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lucky to get the draw in the end. Lovely goal from that Iranian lad. We were not creative enough, simple as that, and Mount and Pulisic could have and should have done more. CHO had a couple of real chances when he came on AND he should have done better. Kovacic only played a small part of the game and he could easily have got sent off. Not very disciplined from him. Frank set the team out properly, this is down to the players, they needed to do more today.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is the ball just takes too long to get forward from the centre of the pitch and, when it does, it often doesn't threaten anything, apart from our possession stats.

That starts with the CB's, Zouma and Rudi, but continues with Jorginho. The only guy who gets it forward, (usually reliably), is Kante and that's by running with it.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who remembers the good old days when struggling teams would play us and basically defend and hang on for dear life, now of course they fully expect to beat us (and generally do). Brighton looked disappointed not to do what nearly ÀLL other bottom clubs do - get all 3 points from us. It's just not good enough really is It? It's about time we showed the same 'fight' as these 'struggling' teams then one day we might actually beat one of them! Disgraceful apathy.

14. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We just didn't create enough chances over the course of these 4 holiday games

15. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very disappointed after a quick start. We just lose all impetus. I love Tammy but his decision making was terrible. I counted 2-3 times where he could have passed to players who were clearly open but chose to shoot into a heavily populated area. CHO missed a golden opportunity at the end as well.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Jekyll and Hide all over again. Happy New year everyone!

17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Lamps has squeezed as much juice as one can out of this squad. Even still, I am surprised by this last 1.5 months of form.

If we don’t get 2-3 new players in Jan, I expect the rest of the season to play out like this with my money on us finishing top 4 but not by much. Crazy how these guys pull out wins against Sp*rs and Arse then either lose or can’t kill off much lesser opposition. Such is life.

JimWharton and lobomojo repped this.
  18. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    what I don't understand is how out of all the players they are talking about they aren't talking about a real 10. A guy who can create offense from the middle of the pitch attacking.

having a guy like mount out there who is so limited shows up 6/7 times a match and its ugly.

people want a winger...who is going to get that winger or another forward the ball?

19. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Agree...except the top 4 part. I think we’re on borrowed time.

limpidrock repped this.
  20. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Borrowed time? Thats the spirit. :D But yeah, we are 4th and we are having a roller coaster season. But we are 4th mainly because our rival, Arsenal, Spurs and United are having an even worse time. The advantage we have over them is that they have been allowed to buy players and they are still a mess. We have also unearthed some real gems from the academy. So I think we have a greater upside than our rivals. United need a total rebuild. Spurs will continue in their current direction with Jose. Arsenal will take time to change.

lobomojo repped this.
  21. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Lostus Cheek will give us a cutting edge when he comes back. We need a left back though. Isn't there anyone in the academy?

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Perhaps but on what basis though? Who, currently below us, is definitively better?

Even marginally better form would have seen us miles ahead of 5th. We’re playing like crap and 5 points clear. This isn’t to say it’s going to stay that way. Just haven’t seen anything to really tell me otherwise tbh.

JimWharton and lobomojo repped this.
  23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I know Isco was mentioned once, as was Draxler, in the press. I don't think either have much truth to them. It's great that Mount has given us some really good performances, but he's also been absent from more games than he's impacted.

I think Pulisic was one of the only players who had any creativity yesterday. His work to wriggle free of defenders, create space, and gets shots away was rewarded with a sub in the ~60th minute.

Frank really got the subs wrong yesterday but the whole team vanished at once. Not the first time it's happened.

24. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well to be fair we were up 1-0 when he was pulled and he was rested the previous game as a precaution to his hammy, i'm assuming frank didn't want him to play the full 90 going in to the game.

if we are going to play the 4-2-3-1 i really wouldn't mind seeing Pulisic in the middle for a spell. i think part of the problem is you'd think CHO would be the other winger and he hasn't really been playing that well, so right now, it's Mount over CHO, and you shift around that line to compensate.

funny the two academy players we raved about last season have had no impact this season, it's been all the other ones. kind of speaks to how much we've had to put faith in these players. a healthy RLC is a new signing. a healthy RLC is also something i'm not sure we'll ever see for a full season.

Dr_Intoxicated and Wrath repped this.
  25. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    We surged to the top on early season form. I agree that none below are ‘definitely’ better but MU are playing better, Tottenham has plenty of talent and experience to nip us, and eventually another club will crack that upper echelon (like Leicester seems to have). It might be Wolverhampton. Arsenal and Everton are probably too far gone, even with new managers.

I just don’t think win one/lose one/draw one form will be strong enough to hold that spot.

Wrath repped this.