New USSF Logo, New Ref Jerseys?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Dayton Ref, Feb 26, 2016.

1. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Let us know if it washes out.
    A couple of years back I bought the highest rated sunscreen commonly found, from Neutrogena. Shortly thereafter, I noticed black smudges on my jerseys after working some hot games. I deduced the marks were from wiping the sweat from my forehead with the sleeves. Luckily the marks washed out.

But I did quit using that brand -- also because it really stung my eyes and made them water. I guess when Consumer Reports recommended that brand they did not consider all factors...

2. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Nice typo. Still accurate though.

cmonref, uniqueconstraint and tomek75 repped this.
  3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I know this isn't a sunscreen topic, but Neutrogena was just like you said...it left my with stinging eyes.

I have since gone to Banana Boat 50 and although it takes a while to get it rubbed in, I have had no eye issues.

Back to OSI, I ordered more socks, shirts and shorts Friday and I got an email saying they are delayed (not the socks). Then, a couple of hours later I got another 2 emails saying the order had shipped.

4. VariableFeedback

Aug 3, 2009
    I've found the same thing with spray sunscreens. FWIW, I've used the OxiClean stain remover and it worked to remove the spots. If they continue stain, this will be a major problem for me, as I am pretty close to needing to use sunscreen when there's a full moon.

5. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I have not yet noticed the sunscreen issue on the OSI jerseys, but I just started bringing the sunscreen out again, so we will see.

The one thing I have noticed is that they hold on to dirt much more than the previous versions - my SS yellow's collar is already pretty dirty, and I even occasionally shower. I don't know that they'll have the longevity of the older jerseys - tradeoff for a lighter fabric that doesn't cost more to acquire, I'm guessing.

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  6. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used Oxy something spray (and actually read the directions - and followed them!) and it diminished the stain but it is definitely still there (no apparent damage to the shirt).

I am pretty sure its sunscreen as I had a drop on the right sleeve above the logo that I remember wiping off and there is a pretty large red stain right there. It is very faded pink now but still visible. I haven't worn the yellow since, I didn't notice it on my blue or green (worn for one match each yesterday and today).

7. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a skin condition that makes my face peel most of the time (It's like having dandruff on your face). I tried a lot of different creams and lotions to alleviate the symptoms, I even went to a dermatologist. Nothing helped until I got this cream. The great benefit is that it's got built in SPF. This is all I use and I don't get the burn in my eyes or stains on my clothing. In the past I used baby sunblock but it was way too greasy.
    [​IMG]

camconcay and Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  8. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1083 cinepro, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Just got my yellow and red "Krown" referee jerseys. These look really good, and if you're looking for a deal, these appear to be the ones to beat. I haven't seen the Score jerseys yet, but I've seen the Team Ref and Fold-a-Goal ("Foal-a-Goal") ones.

http://www.krownsports.com/new-2018-pro-referee-jersey/

$22 with reasonable shipping.

First pic shows the shirts side by side. The yellow color is indistinguishable between the two shirts, and the solid fabric looks and feels exactly the same. The Krown (and OSI) fabric is much, much better than the Fold-a-Goal:

[​IMG]
    The only noticeable differences are the slightly wider thin stripe in the two-stripe pattern on the Krown shirt, and the ventilated side panels are a looser mesh with a more distinct diagonal pattern. The tag for the Krown shirt says "Nova Sports". They're both men's medium and fit the same (a little more "fitted" than I would prefer on my 5'10" 175lb frame).

Here's a detail of the mesh:

[​IMG]

Here's the red shirt. I don't have an OSI to compare. Interestingly, the thin stripes on the red shirt are identical to the OSI shirt:

[​IMG]

Here's full-size pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h64xs4effxjmch/Krown_1.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uqb7xiuu3oa7ym/Krown_2.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qr3bshizrx05cs/Krown_3.jpg?dl=0

Vinnydabody and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  9. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After another week of wear with sunscreen (and sweat) the yellow top did not get any additional red staining and the stains that I did have are barely noticeable (3-4 more washings)

so

maybe not sunscreen? I used the same bottle of Coppertone sport spf 50 and treated the uniforms the same as far as segregating them before and after wear and in my bag.

10. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    It must have been the gyros sandwich you had the night before. Sweating out all that garlic and onion...

voiceoflg and camconcay repped this.
  11. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    THANK YOU for the really thorough comparison. I really need a second shirt and really hate the economy shirt I have from OSI, the cut of that neckline forces me to wear a black tech shirt underneath that makes me far sweatier. I'm one of those people who over-researches then can't make a decision. HATE wasting money on stuff because I had to buy it online. This is a big help. Cheers, buddy!

i like the bigger holes in the side vents, seems like a good deal, buying one today.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    If you haven't already, try one of the hot weather shirts underneath -- I find I'm cooler wearing that under my ref shirt than wearing nothing. (The one I have is under armor, but I think all the big manufacturers make them.)

IASocFan, Vinnydabody and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...plus it's kinder to the viewing public when you find yourself having to change jerseys on the field. :barefoot:

SouthernYank, voiceoflg, cinepro and 3 others repped this.
  14. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Can I get a specific recommendation on these?
    I cannot conceive of two shirts being cooler than one; and I cant see spending 50 bucks on an undershirt, but sweating thru the new shirts can not be a pretty sight.

15. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do you mind measuring and/or posting a pic with the Krown yellow laid over the OSI yellow? I'm curious as to size difference (I know the Score version is about 3-4 inches wider in the torso for a medium).

16. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can do it tonight, but I did overlay them and the sizing appeared to be very, very close.

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I got mine a couple of years ago (I think after reading about them on here), and you're right that they aren't cheap. I think it is the combination of compression and wicking that helps, similar to the way your feet can be cooler in wool socks (or faux wool) on a hot day (or maybe it is just like Dumbo's feather -- if so, don't tell me, because I am convinced it helps). Beyond that the one I use is under armor and has made me happy, I can't give any specific advice.

18. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The measurements on these are very, very close. The Krown is maybe .5" wider in the torso. The OSI is no more than .25" longer. But I honestly can't tell a difference when trying them on.

Here's the Krown on top:

[​IMG]

Here's the OSI on top:

[​IMG]

kayakhorn and Vinnydabody repped this.
  19. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    But the vertical stripes are closer together in the Krown! :eek:

Nice comparison. Now they need a few more colors.

20. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    @cinepro thanks very much for this.

From the description at Krown's site:
    • 1 Pro Referee Jerseys w/ two buttons (100% Polyester moisture wicking)
    ...are these pockets velcro'd like the OSI ones? Honestly I think I'd prefer a button, seems longer-lasting.

21. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the UA, Adidas, Reebok, Head and Nike undershirts, My favorite by far is Nike (like a micro knit material) with Head (knit material) coming in a close 2nd and Reebok in 3rd. That's a huge endorsement from me considering that I am a big Adidas fan. Adidas and UA are on par when it comes to moisture control. I almost never wear Adidas or UA undershirts anymore.

22. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    The pockets certainly look like velcro in the picture. I think that description is left over from the old style jersey with two buttons at the collar that they are still selling.

23. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Makes sense @Schlager, I should probably put down all these Ts & Cs I'm reviewing between forum posts ;)

24. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Can yuou give me a style name?
    And do you buy them online somewhere less expensive than other places?

25. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I was wearing a C9 compression undershirt, sometimes it felt like it was helping. I'll give one of these name brands a try. Had a UA one years ago, just felt like I was wearing panty hose over my torso. Sassy, but hotter than without.

DaveRef repped this.