New USSF certification/recert/resource center

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Beau Dure, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    How many of you have done the new 2020 online recert? Thoughts on it?

2. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My state has zero clue on what they’re doing for recerts. Info was supposed to be out early November and surprise surprise: nothing. But whoever does do it, let me know if you see a teenage ref in there on some slides. It’s me! :)

SparkeyG repped this.
  3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the blonde kid in the Grassroots Online Course?

4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I did the online grassroots recert back in mid august. I was horrible. I did the assignor recert back in October. It was equally bad. Almost none of the material related to the duties of a ref or assignor and several of the elements in the ref module were flat wrong including the choices of the coin flip winner (they had the old law in the video clip). I was less than impressed.

5. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The grassroots test was cake.

voiceoflg repped this.
  6. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Can't yet... Been waiting two weeks for them to fix my "license history" so I'm "eligible" in the system to start on the re-cert course items. SRA's heard nothing on it yet either :(.

I suspect I had originally certified with my state using abbreviated first name rather than full legal name and the records-matching logic failed.

7. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I didn't have a problem. The modules were like wading through waist-deep molasses. But I passed everything, did the background check and had the classroom instruction. Just waiting for my new badge. And waiting...and waiting...

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm only about 3/4 through it. Aside from the errors (in addition to the coin toss one, it's adamant that a goal can be scored directly from a dropped ball), I'm mostly concerned about it being such a slog to get through. Is it a boomer thing to be so put off by several hours of click here, now click there, now click ... where? Heck it took me what felt like forever to figure out how to actually get the course going after I'd jumped through all the registration hoops. How many 13-year-olds are going to have the attention span for it? Or is it enough like a video game that they'll love it?

9. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more states that have joined the LC the slower their customer service response time has become unfortunately.

10. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Can I ask? How was the recert/training process like for new/returning refs? I cannot see many youngins having their attention span held for such a long time...

11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was quite glad that I had to get on and do my lessons in September. My name wasn't matched, I'm pretty sure USSF had me registered in OH-S still. Also it appeared that the support email address on the website wasn't monitored while the referee support email address given me by the SRA had a quick turn around. I honestly don't remember how it was taking the Regional course, granted I know that I won't learn anything new from that.

When it comes to bad questions, I don't know that anything will top, "Are you allowed to drink alcohol the day before a game?" Which can be two very different questions, "Are you allowed to drink alcohol on game day before the game?" or "Are you allowed to drink alcohol on the day preceding game day?"

Geko repped this.
  12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    #112 chwmy, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Might be the first time ever for me to not recert before the new year. Used to be more flexible- I used to be able to go to a class, then deal with the registration to ussf, background check whenever. This fall I missed a class because I couldn’t register without the background check which took four days. I can’t do the online stuff until I’ve signed up for a specific class, and one doesn’t fit for me before the end of the year.

will be interesting to see if recert numbers drop off- if they do it very well may be because it’s just more of a hassle than it used to be.

refinDC and Law5 repped this.
  13. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Did you take it via the US Soccer site or the MNSRC site? I see nothing on the USSF site for Minnesota. I was curious to see what the national org had produced.

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That's exactly my worry – and I'm doing it all online.

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Just a quiz? We have to complete a 4-hour online course.

16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    MNSRC site. I assume it was the ussf grassroots test.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    These two errors are in early modules. I see they got them right in the last one, which I am just finishing up.

18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Hmm, here's another one: "The goalkeeper defending the penalty kick must not be touching the goalposts/crossbar/nets and cannot be moving."

19. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the goalpost/crossbar/nets that are not supposed to be moving. I think there is a punctuation problem in the sentence.

MJ91 and voiceoflg repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Took the test and only got an 82. I'm sure if I had an open book I'da aced it. :unsure:

Ps...I was hoping to get a question about socks! :whistling:

21. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    I love questions about socks!
    (If only we could get all our newbies to pull them up!)

22. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Or get newbies (or rather not) to appropriately put their patch on in the _middle_ of the velcro let alone at the right angle.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I know a very experienced referee (AYSO National Referee, National Instructor, blah, blah, blah) who will do younger games as an AR and deliberately push down his socks, wear a Regional Referee (lowest AYSO level) badge crooked so that he can see how coaches are treating/mistreating newbies (or those who look like newbies) . . .

24. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is November, I'm just happy when the whole crew has patches...
    I am almost guilty of this, when I lost my patch I used a black sharpie on my 2018 to make the 8 look like a 9

IASocFan, voiceoflg and gaolin repped this.