NEW USMNT KITS & CREST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lucho305, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So you're a Walmat guy, then, yeah?

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’m another fan of the hoops shirt, but I would REALLY like it if they did a shoulder pad pattern on top that was blue with medium size white stars. Basically it would look like the middle of a large flag made into a shirt. That would be ultra iconic.

Capt.Tsubasa and jnielsen repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    HomietheClown and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks pretty good to me.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is that the away kit or just the trianing kit? The rumor I saw last night wasn't clear on that.

7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    not sure. Looks a bit like a training top doesn’t it.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bummer. For a few moments I thought that our boys would be turning up in respectable jerseys, ones of which the fans could be proud.

10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seem kinda dull, even for a training shirt.
    At least they finally got the shade of blue correct!!

jnielsen and Three and Three repped this.
  11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    it’s a blue t-shirt with a little double stripe on the bottom of one sleeve.

jnielsen and CMeszt repped this.
  12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought the US was on the right track with the current white kit. Some sort of stripes on a white kit should be the US identity. This constant changing of the primary kit is maddening. I know it's an old Adidas template, but my model for the US kit would be the 2014-2015 Sporting KC away kits.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/sporting-kc-mls-jerseys

Home/primary kit would replace the navy blue with white and the light blue stripes with red or blue stripes (but probably thinner than what SKC had on this kit). White shorts and socks.

Away/secondary kit could start with a similar template. The shirt could be blue with red stripes or red with blue stripes. You could wear blue or red shorts/socks depending on what the opposition is wearing. The Waldos could be a good third kit, as could a kit similar to what Germany wore as an alternate kit in the 2014 World Cup (which I still think is a criminally underrated kit).

This changing of kits all the time makes it tough to have any sort of true branding or identity. While I know winning on the field is the first priority, it would be nice to have a true identity. While there are always changes in the details of kits like the Dutch, Argentina, Germany, etc., I always know when they are playing without even having to look at the score box.

Burr and TKyle repped this.
  13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^
    This! Rep this man!

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #964 Big Football, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    The USNT NEEDS an identity right now, and nothing identify this nation on the pitch more than the iconic WALDOS. Just put blue socks instead of the white and you have a beautiful, instantly recognizable kit. ( Of course Alex Morgan would look beautiful in just about anything!)
    [​IMG]

jjmack, jnielsen and Three and Three repped this.
  15. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We've been saying that for years, my man. By the way, I remember watching Tolima play in the 83 Libertadores. We were in Melgar for Semana Santa and we made do with a tiny black and white set. They beat Alianza in Lima that one night. Anyway, I'd consider the jersey the first or third kit, so the color of the socks would vary accordingly.

jnielsen and Big Football repped this.
  16. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow! great memories! And we are back in the Libertadores this year!

Three and Three repped this.
  17. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying that for years. About the Waldo, not Alex Morgan!

100% agree the Waldo should be our primary home kit. I very much doubt it's ever going to happen, but I would love it. As you said, instantly recognizable, unique, would become iconic.

Compare that to what we have now.

We can have a mostly blue based second kit to contrast with the Waldo; or even white if they want. 2nd kit can rotate. Let Nike go crazy with the 3rd kit.

jjmack and jnielsen repped this.
  18. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear USSF, please buy a staff member a plane ticket to fly down to Ecuador and find the creative team that did this for Ecuador, and hire them immediately. This is brilliant. I'm not a huge hater of our current new crest, but I feel we could have done so much better. This Ecuador rebranding is so cool. Love this video.

but maybe we need to make those big changes with USSF first before we rebrand again.

19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh.
    It looks like some kind of ancient rune.
    I like their old one better.
    (Heck, I like *our* old one better—to the casual Joe, you don’t know our new one represents the US *soccer* teams!)

"username", USOutlaw16, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  20. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, I flipped by an Olympic women's hockey game. The US backup goalie was wearing a baseball cap with the new US soccer. Why not? It's so generic it can be used for any US related activity.

"username", Three and Three and TKyle repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can debate the merits of the current crest, but the old crest was awful. It looked like a cheap Microsoft Clip-art knockoff. I always looked at that crest and thought it was so amateur.

22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #972 TKyle, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    While I agree that the previous crest wasn’t great, with a few tweaks it would been much better, and would have made for a better rebrand than what we got.

It’s general shape was similar to the interstate highway shield, which speaks more to “USA” than the unimaginative current locomotive cow-catcher appearance. Reverse the red and the blue so the stripes are red and white and the field surrounding the stars is blue—that would have made it it look more identifiably American.

I didn’t think the lines made the soccer ball look “cartoonish”, but I know some do. Nevertheless, the crest NEEDS a soccer ball in some form and at least “U.S.” on it. It needs to be recognizable as the American, soccer crest. The new crest fails in this.

Edit: And before someone goes on about “unearned stars” on the crest, I’d like to point out that it doesn’t seem to be a problem that Honduras, Panama, Chile, Paraguay, Turkey, Kosovo, Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia (among probably others) have a star or stars in their crests in fitting with their nations’ flags, despite not having won a (men’s) World Cup.

"username" and jnielsen repped this.
  23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you explain this statement? The following nations' team crests do not have any semblance of a soccer ball in them, yet I don't think fans have a major problem identifying them as the primary logo for their national teams.
    • Argentina
    • Germany
    • France
    • England
    • Brazil
    • Portugal
    • The Netherlands
    • Belgium
    • Italy (although one could say the circle in the center is a soccer ball)
    In the 2018 World Cup, by my count exactly half of the crests had soccer balls. Several of the crests had old school soccer balls like Croatia and Spain.

Again, I'm not saying the current crest is that great. I use the USA crest on my profile more because I'm American than because I think it's a brilliant piece of design. But I don't think any national team crest NEEDS a soccer ball as a part of it.

24. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you listed 10 of the most successful national teams in world football history where probably close to 100% of their population can identify their team crest. What percentage of Americans can identify the US team crest? My guess is well less than 5%. I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 1%. We don't have anywhere near their history or national interest, so comparing the US to them isn't relevant.

I'm not saying we have to have a soccer ball in our crest, but I think it would have been good to have something identifying it as US Soccer. When I wear my US cap, I think the vast majority of people who see me on the street just think I'm wearing a generic USA cap.

I never liked the old crest; I'm one of those who thought it was cartoonish. Still waiting for the new one to grow on me too. But given the choice, I'll take the new one.

Three and Three and TKyle repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current crest wouldn't need a soccer ball if it said USSF instead of USA. That's what most of the other crests mentioned have, the name of their soccer federation, not the country.