NEW USMNT KITS & CREST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lucho305, Feb 6, 2016.

1. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were $170 at the game. I just laughed and walked away because I knew they were $155 online (and that there'd be a free shipping code from US Soccer emailed out). Just going to get the T-shirt from World Soccer Shop instead and save some cash.

2. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100% they looked great, and I'm getting mine tomorrow as soon a our local shop opens at noon (they have one set aside for me).

But disagree about the stars on the shoulders/sleeves. I understand stars are used above teams' crests to denote the number of World Cups won, but nobody is going to confuse these big white stars on the sleeves with the small ones put above the crest of WC winners. There was more of an issue with the 3 stars embedded in the previous cartoon US Soccer crest. These mirror the stars in the USA flag.

Today Ghana (the Black Stars) had a big black star on their chest. The same star that's in the center of their nation's flag. I also have zero issue with their star, I can't even imagine someone confusing that star with the tiny WC winners stars either, same as with the stars on the sleeves of this kit. I understand not liking the stars because they're kind of loud and make the kit busy, but c'mon, nobody thinks we're claiming we've won multiple World Cups because of them.

3. drupha

drupha Member

Feb 12, 2005
    USA
    They're clearly not using this for the world cup. Other than maybe 1990, we've never recycled jerseys into a world cup. It's the ultimate marketing opportunity, and Nike and US Soccer isn't going to give it up.

Also, please give one instance where a team has worn shoulder stars to indicate anything. Stars on a crest, or above a crest have a connotation. It's not a total lockdown on stars in general use.

4. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On dhgate now, you don't have to madly love it to shell out $17 and be happy.

5. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the question now is what are we getting for the world cup next year?? we find out in February right?

6. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Provided we qualify.

7. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shiit, you right, well even if we didnt qualify we would get new kits in October/ November when qualifying begins again no.

8. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did some digging and the 2014 World Cup kits started to be leaked after the new year, but the official announcement dates were March 3, 2014 for the Home White Polo Shirt and April 1, 2014 for the Away "Bomb Pop".

I suppose that if and when USA qualifies, there will be similar announcement dates for the 2018 World Cup kits, sometime in spring of next year. If they release them too far in advance, they get old and too familiar I think.

I really doubt we're getting anything new until the World Cup 2018 kits. I think we're stuck with the 3 kits (4 if you count the new Gold Cup one) we have now until the World Cup kits come out. (1) home white with the blue striped sleeves that look light blue, (2) black away with the red and blue sleeves, (3) 3rd kit all red Portugal copies. From everything I've read this awesome new blue and red striped jersey is only for the Gold Cup as a special edition, although I know I'm not alone in thinking it's way better than any of our current 3 kits that I think we're stuck with until spring of next year.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'd be stunned if there's anything new until the WC kits, frankly I'm surprised we got new Gold Cup kits.

I haven't looked it up, but off memory our kits last cycle went:

2010: Kept the World Cup kits
    2011: Kept the home kits but added the red alternate jersey for The Gold Cup
    2012: Changed everything with the Waldos and then the blue away uniforms
    2013: Centennial kits
    Early 2014: New World Cup kits;

This cycles followed a similar pattern;

2014 and 2015: Kept the white World Cup kit and added the new away blue kit.
    2016: Completely changed both the home and away kits
    2017: Added the red alternate kits and the new Gold Cup kits

10. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Stars and Stripes are this cycle's version of the Centennial kits. They will get more run because they do not have the copywrite issues the Centennials did.

11. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got the Gold Cup “match” jersey and really love it. With a 10% discount it was $150 after tax. The shop didn't have the name/numbers yet, so I'll get those later ($30 for the full set). For sure this will be one of my all-time favorites. I already got the t-shirt too.

Just a warning on sizing. I had the shop set aside an XL for me, since the XL match Waldo I have fits really well and the standard rule seems to be go one size up for the match versions. For comparison, I have an XL stadium/replica Bomb Pop that fits pretty loose on me. When I went to the shop to pick up the Gold Cup jersey I tried on the XL it was super loose especially around the midsection. So I tried on the Large and it fit really well. Maybe a bit snug in the shoulders but still room to spare around the waist.

When I got home I did some measurements. The measurements of this Large size “match” Gold Cup are almost identical to the XL “match” Waldo I have. It’s also almost the same as the L size Gold Cup t-shirt (the jersey replica one).

Just in case it might help someone, here are my measurements of 3 shirts/jerseys (measurements are: (a) pit-to-pit; (b) around the midsection at the narrowest point, (c) length from top of front collar to bottom of shirt):

Waldo Match Jersey (XL): 23” 21” 27.25”
    Gold Cup Match Jersey (L): 22.5” 21” 26.5”
    Gold Cup Replica T-Shirt (L): 22.5” 22” 26.75”

So bottom line is these Gold Cup match kits fit looser than previous match jerseys. They seem to fit closer to the previous stadium/replica jerseys. Maybe they made them a bit roomier because there is so "stadium" or replica option. So I did not have to “size up”. If I had ordered online I would have got the XL and would have needed to return it for a Large.

[​IMG]

Mr Martin, MPNumber9 and Susaeta repped this.
  12. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link?

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #763 CMeszt, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    The crest thing was always kind of a misconception around here too. Far from being the traditional way of displaying WC wins, stars in the crest were first done by Italy...in 2005.

Above the crest, on the sleeves, wherever, sure, but we went a good 100 years before anyone actually signified a WC win inside the actual crest.
    England used to put their winners star at random places around the kit, at least one year it was on the sleeve if I remember right. US Women used to do the same. But yeah, the only person who would ever accuse the US of trying to signify world cup wins with stars is that one pseudo-knowledable guy at every soccer pub who speaks with a Brit accent despite being born and raised in central New Jersey.

soccer_23 repped this.
  14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've found it's much easier to compare kits on 2 year cycles, since that's the amount of time before all the manufacturers do template changes.

15. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stars certainly have certain prior existing connotation with USA. The Ghana kits amply use star motive as well and why not, it's part of their flag (and nickname). If we don't put it on top of badge, I don't think any purist will mind.

Lucho305 repped this.
  16. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, we all know we do not have stars, so get over it, o the other hand tho, i would have bought this jersey if they didn't have the stars on top, completely not agreeing with the above post, just that it would be a better jersey without the stars, just saying.....[emoji41]

mckersive repped this.
  17. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the 4 star set up better (what the players have): a cheeky version of military epaulets.

18. BigDaddyHeard

BigDaddyHeard Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yoooo drop a link.

19. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigDaddyHeard repped this.
  20. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Love it, it's literally the stars and stripes. Go USA!

21. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    It looks a little comic bookish en vivo.

I have been calling them the Captain Americas. Sure to be a fan favorite for years.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the shorts match. The shorts should've been darker and maybe with some stars or something.

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was batting .250 from these types of sites during the 2014 world cup when I wanted to get a bunch of jerseys.

I got a USA home white jersey that was really really awful quality,
    A USA Centennial that never actually arrived (though based on package tracking it seemed to be the fault of USPS)
    A Germany jersey that was PERFECT and amazing quality.
    ...and another germany jersey from the exact same seller as the perfect one, ordered about a month later, which was garbage quality, the wrong size, and printed with a player number that I didn't ask for.

Still, for like 10 bucks plus shipping, it's basically a gamble worth taking.

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, I saw this too.

It actually looks like shoulder/sleeves, stripes, and shorts are all different shades of blue. Yes, sweat will change darkness, but at least there should be relatively closer colorations when they are wet.

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all the navy is the same except for the sleeves which are a couple of shades darker (thats just a nike template thing). the stars in the stripes are lighter, making the stripes look lighter as a whole, but theyre not.