New USA Logo before 2014 WC/Petition

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RGRAY55, Apr 17, 2012.

1. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you have to explain that the Gadsen flag wasn't made up by the Tea party to fellow fans, it is more of an indictment of people who think Political parties are political sports teams rather than a vehicle for people to vote without being informed than anything else.

Growing up I always thought it was some sort of flag symbolizing the Armed forces because it was only the military types I knew that flew the flag. I think anyone who doesn't want to use it because the tea party uses it should get a life. (god this almost as bad as peoples reaction to Shea posing with shotguns...shotguns)

That being said I think they should just use the crest they have on our most recent jerseys. There are plenty of cool 90s era logos, the current US crest isn't one of them. The centennial crest is solid all around in my book.

Timon19 repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Moving the goalposts, eh? Lots of people do that when they get caught with their pants down.

Since it was so far back, allow me to re-quote you for the class:
    When confronted with soccer balls included in badges (which I guarantee are not 100 years old in their current incarnations) of teams/federations one presumably has more respect for, you turn to the (widely accepted) criticism of the particular depiction of a ball in one particular crest.

Awesome.

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So what about the First Navy Jack? Is that "ingrained" as a Tea Party thing, too, even though the actual US Navy uses it right this second and has since before anyone thought about the Tea Party?

The Tea Party has been around for maybe 6-7 years and it's been thoroughly co-opted to the point where virtually no one cares about them anymore. US Soccer supporters (and libertarians) have been using these symbols forever in comparison.

4. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have my version of the shield as my avatar, but I was thinking- if we're going to have any stars at all, there should be the original 13, otherwise it makes us look like world cup winner wanna-be's. Also, perhaps using the 13 stars around the outside of the shield in a silver area to look like rivets?

SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Like I said above, the ONLY country that symbolizes WC wins with stars in the crest is Italy, and they've only been doing so since 2005. We have stars because they're our most common national symbol. Anyone that accuses the USSF of being a "poser" has no idea what they're talking about.

6. kickingdead

kickingdead Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stars in the crest like in the centennial crest does not seem WC wannabe to me. For WC wins I think of a larger star(s) above the actual crest not incorporated into the actual design (i.e. not it the "shield").

7. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not "quite" the same level? Sheesh. Look, I'm not a member of the Tea Party. I just have a real problem with anyone drawing comparisons between any group and Nazis. There is NO comparison between the level of horrors perpetrated under the symbol I bolded from your post and the Tea Party.

8. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

What I have never liked about our federation crest is the bizarre reversal of the colors of the stripes. Just switch those and I would probably like the current crest design.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No no no no no. Nothing even vaguely similar. I'm not saying that, or implying that, or anything of the sort.

I made it very clear that what I'm comparing is the history of the symbolism. The symbols did not originally mean what they popularly came to mean much, much later, through no fault at all of the users of the original symbology. I used a strong and obvious example to make my point how the meaning of a symbol can change in public perception. In no way am I equating the Nazi party with the Tea Party, though. That would be an emotional reaction on the part of the reader.

In any case, I'm not talking about how horrified I'd be to see the Gadsen snake symbol on our crest. (Hey, look, I've been using it, dammit!) I'm referring to how gun-shy large public entities tend to be when choosing their public image. They're not going to choose the Gadsen flag. I like it, but it's just not going to happen. Look how vanilla (and lame) the current crest is, and the centennial crest, for that matter, minus the lameness.

Mutiny RIP repped this.
  10. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I certainly agree on the lameness of the current crest. I rather like the centennial crest. I think with a few tweaks that incorporate "U.S." or "USSF," it would make a good new permanent crest.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I like the centennial crest and the centennial uniforms, too. I do think that it, and they, are a little vanilla, though.

12. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but the 3 stars we have seems a bit oddly numbered. Other than symbolising the stars of our flag, why 3? Just for design and balance? If we are designing something to represent our country, and it involves stars, then why not 13 or 50?

13. kickingdead

kickingdead Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I do not like much if anything about the current crest. 50 stars might be too much in terms of space. 13 stars, I am down with that. The centennial crest does it for me. I think I like the simplicity.

tyguy repped this.
  14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    According to USSF, the three stars are for the Mens, Womens, and Youth teams.

Mutiny RIP repped this.
  15. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like they made that up as an afterthought after the design was approved.

JC507 repped this.
  16. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, which team does the biggest of the three stars represent?

17. Jah_Lion

Jah_Lion New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know that but even so, to whom is that relevant? Someone who knows enough to check the site? More people could identify and understand the meaning better of 13 or 50 stars without question or need to go searching for its meaning.

18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like an old style badge. something vintage.

19. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I favor this "mock" crest...
    [​IMG]

Polemarch, Marko72 and ktabz repped this.
  20. eapleitez

eapleitez Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can get behind this one.

21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all we need.
    [​IMG]

Ms_Spiritus, tyguy and 30Something repped this.
  22. Canuckamericano

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Having a soccer ball in a logo worn by guys while they play soccer is redundant and stupid (i.e. no KIDDING we're watching a US SOCCER game). Fine logo for stationery, not unis.

23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Best "crest"

24. Alek James Hiddel

Jul 15, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I almost got a Gadsden Flag tattoo around 2008. I thought it would be a good Patrotic symbol that wasn't cliche like an eagle or something. Never quite got around to it, and since it's been co-opted by the Tea Party, I'm glad I didn't. I really don't need to take my shirt off at the pool and have friends say, "Wow, I never knew you were a moron!"

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nah, looks too much like Brek Shea's shorts.

felloveranddidanadu and Hachiko repped this.