New US Soccer Referee Logo

Discussion in 'Referee' started by law5guy, Jun 7, 2007.

1. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard this three weeks ago. Was waiting for someone to post it because I didn't have a copy of the image and didn't want to start a rumor.

Say "hello" to new shorts, new socks, new jerseys (sleeve logo), new warmups and new badges.

This is far, far, far worse than a uniform re-design.

Just like with the switch of the logo on the jersey a few years ago (from a transparent background to a black background), a memo will be issued saying that referees need not buy new equipment (in fact, the linked article says the old logo will be valid "indefinitely"). However, you can bet your life the new stuff is what we'll see in MLS and that, starting with USL on down, it will be "expected" very shortly.

The nightmare scenario will be this logo change starting next year, followed by a uniform redesign in 2010 or soon thereafter (when OSI's contract is up). Personally, I think the new logo should just come with a uniform re-design, but, of course, that doesn't maximize profits.

Also, from what I've heard, it hasn't been decided where the "State Referee," "National Referee," and "Referee" tags will be denoted on the badge (you'll note there's no natural place to put them, since there's no wreath around the other writing). I imagine it's possible that those words will replace "Referee Program" on the badges only, but that hasn't been made clear or, from what I understand, decided.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compare:

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

Call me old fashioned, but I like the old logo.

4. Chiller15J

Chiller15J New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago Area
    I'm with you on that. Why use a logo that has already been used for players to distinguish referees...

When I see the new one, I don't think referee, the picture distracts from it, doesn't look as formal as our current logo.

5. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i personally like it. i think it's a nice change, but it's not too dramatic. have you ever seen canadian badges? they are a huge maple leaf, so this is pretty tame.

heck, and maybe. just maybe, we will get a uniform redesign this fall?

i can dream, can't i?

6. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    What about the year? If there's no year, there's no impetus for referees to spend the money to recertify, and then we'll have uncertified referees running around gummin' up the works.

7. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

I have liked having the grade I earned listed on my badge. It's not a necessity, but I would like to see it retained.

You're right though, this is generally a nightmare! :mad: more $$$ circling the drain.

8. deegen

deegen Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Actually, each province has it's own design, and nationals have a different one yet.

We also get to wear whatever uniform we like.. which mean not only do I have to carry 8 OSI style shirts, but the Adidas ones too, and maybe some Umbros ones.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that is truly a nightmare. Why would they allow you to wear whatever you want uniform wise. Talk about taking a financial beating.

10. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    I really like the (Nike-owned?) US Soccer logo by itself, but I think this new badge looks cobbled together. It just doesn't seem to blend as well together as the old badge did.

Personally, I never bothered to update my jerseys based on the changes in federation logo color -- was it white to black, or vice versa? Unless you are doing TV games, I don't think it is necessary -- and even then, it may not be noticeable to 99% of the people anyway.

11. Footballer

Footballer New Member

Feb 12, 2000
    CT
    Last weekend was our State Cup Finals weekend and the referees participated at the events were all given a t-shirts with this new logo on it. I didn't think much of it at first, but now I understand.

Re: the comments made about MLS referees on TV having this logo immediately, of coures they are, they probably either get them free or with severe discounts.

Personally, I don't think is a huge deal.

12. deegen

deegen Member

Nov 7, 2006
    The CSA is less proscriptive than the USSF. About all that is said is the official colour is black, unless there's a conflict.
    The national program is using the new Adidas uniforms.

13. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hmm, how do you like them?

how many different shirts do you bring with you?

14. deegen

deegen Member

Nov 7, 2006
    I like the new Adidas uniforms.
    How many? Lots.. it depends on the situation. I own more than 20.

15. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I didn't know we were getting a new logo.....?

Anyways, I'd prefer the old version (the one we're used to). With the new version, there is no distinction between the grades or year of certification. I agree with fellow posters who prefer the older version.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, the above logo is what's replacing the standard shield (in other words, the crest that appears on our dress blue blazers). It's not the new badge.

It hasn't be decided (or publicly announced) if or how the grade and date will be incorporated on the badge

17. socref79

socref79 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Okay, my mistake.

18. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Man damn!!! Every time I come back from a "sabbatical"

Just dropped about three bills on new stuff...at least they're not obsoleting my shoes yet!

19. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    We don't know for sure that OSI is going to incorporate the new logo on their existing jerseys. See a related thread about the supposedly oncoming green jersey (which is looking more and more likely), which may herald the next great migration of referee colors as did the current set from fuchsia.

Cynicism about OSI aside, IF a major change is about to be rolled in regarding USSF uniforms (beyond green), perhaps OSI and the USSF will be nice and phase in the new logo with the new jerseys.

You may now begin the flaming. :)

20. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just saw the logo on an assessor's shirt yesterday. it actually looked nice. not jumbled at all, and i was impressed.

21. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    I see mr Gulati got what he wanted and that means we all have the same type of logo. And yes of course OSI will make a lot of money off of this as well as I wonder if and when the new color will come out. :)

22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Was already told by our regional nat and state assignors that we will be expected to have "complete, updated kits" as soon as they are available from OSI if we want to do any games at that level.:mad:

Hmmmmm, emeritus status never looked so good.:D :rolleyes:

23. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    My assignors must THINK they know something then b/c they are already mandated us to change as soon as it is available.

I certainly hope they do not change the badges on the OSI kits.

24. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    I called OSI today inquiring about this very topic. Lady on phone said OSI would be phasing in the new logo on their products over the next year or so, but she did not know the timetable for when the ref jerseys would bear the new logo.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If history tells us anything, you'll see the new logo on the shirts/shorts/socks for MLS Cup.