New UCL format

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by Goforthekill, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does the author expect Sturm Graz to beat BATE Borisov head-to-head in the hypothetical Round of 64 when the opposite happened in the Playoff Round? Based on how this season's Champions League has gone, I also disagree with the author's predictions for:

Rangers-Lille (Round of 32)
    Basel-Dinamo Zagreb (Round of 32)

The author predicted Chelsea to beat Inter in the Round of 32, Chelsea to win in the Round of 16, and then put Inter in the Quarterfinals instead of Chelsea.

The author's plan disregards club coefficients for seeding purposes. Also does anybody know of a competition where in one round some teams are seeded, some teams are unseeded and play seeded teams, and some teams are neither seeded nor unseeded and play each other?

That format would eliminate there being so many weeks of qualifying round games, but those weeks would still be necessary unless the Europa League changed also. The clubs that would play two games each in the Round of 64 and Round of 32 would only play two fewer games than clubs that start in the Group Stage and play six games there.

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In the German cup you have lots of rounds where some teams are seeded, but not half of the teams.

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    There is no seeding in the German cup. In the first two rounds non-league teams (clubs not from the 1st or 2nd Bundesliga) get a seperate pot and can't play each other (this is actually done for the benefit of the non-league clubs), but other than that the draw is completely random (although the first round draw is de facto somewhat like seeding because of this, as the non-league pot always contains half of the teams, so it's guaranteed that each match will feature a team from the non-league and league pot each - but in the second round you could have Bayern München play Borussia Dortmund or a 7th division side, completely depending on the luck of draw). From the 3rd round on there are no seperate pots at all.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Spain's Copa del Rey 4th round.

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The author could have saved me a lot of time by simply typing:

"Let's switch to a KO system, with the Champions from the strongest leagues seeded"

Hardly a groundbreaking idea. The argument simply seems to be that the group stage isn't any good. I disagree.

7. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't get why he assumed that the 4th placed teams from the three strongest leagues should be among the weakest teams. :confused:

8. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think he assumes that. Though I will admit that I didn't read and honestly don't care about his fantasy bracket except as a diagram of what the tournament would look like structurally.

I think he puts the 4th place teams in a worse position tournament because although they are probably among the best teams in the tournament on raw talent they are the teams furthest from actually being champions of their own leagues--this is the CHAMPIONS league after all.