New thoughts on advancement predictions after Match day #1?

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Jonathan Pimentel, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    First round of games for this group is complete. I personally believe peoples opinions/thoughts on the group have been altered by the results of these games.

The group currently stands as follows:

Croatia 3 pts
    Argentina 1 pt
    Iceland 1 pt
    Nigeria 0 pts

Round 2:

Croatia v Argentina
    Iceland v Nigeria

In the event Croatia and Iceland win the group will stand as:

Croatia 6pts
    Iceland 4pts
    Argentina 1 pt
    Nigeria 0 pts

In the event Argentina and Nigeria win, the group stands as follows:

Argentina 4 pts
    Croatia 3 pts
    Nigeria 3 pts
    Iceland 1 pt

In the event Croatia/Argentina tie and Iceland wins

Croatia 4 pts
    Iceland 4 pts
    Argentina 2 pts
    Nigeria 0 pts

If Croatia/Argentina tie and Nigeria win:

Croatia 4 pts
    Nigeria 3 pts
    Argentina 2 pts
    Iceland 1 pt

From the brief readings from Nigerian supporters, if a change of formaton is place or rotation of players occurs, the game is possible to win for Nigeria, however, if the same tactics/players remain, it is likely they lose? (or am i mistaken)

Me personally, from what i saw today and not being an extreme fan/supporter of any of these sides, i think round 2 will happen as follows:

Croatia > Argentina
    Iceland > Nigeria

This leaves the group at:

Croatia 6pts
    Iceland 4pts
    Argentina 1pt
    Nigeria 0 pts

heading into the 3rd and final match, Croatia/Iceland will play, and can agree to a tie before the ball even drops allowing both sides to move on to the knock out stages, which is not all that far fetched.

What do you guys think? what scenarios do you believe are most likely?

2. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina is flat. Messi is ..... whatever. Argentina would not be a team that scared me. Croatia #1, Iceland #2, Argentina #3, Nigeria a very distant #4.

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    As I am sure everyone else said, Nigeria really disappointed me. Yes the coach maybe made a few mistakes, but they really got completely outplayed. If Croatia were just more clinical up front near goal, it could have easily been 5-0.

Croatia look like the best team in this group. I am very confident that they will advance.

Then Argentina and Iceland will battle it out for second. I still wouldn't rule out Argentina completely, because they did look very dangerous on some plays. Iceland was superb, but none of the other teams play so defensively. Croatia-Argentina will tell us a lot. I'd say it depends on the result of that game. I believe Iceland will beat Nigeria.

If Croatia beats Argentina, then Croatia and Iceland will likely advance (assuming Iceland beats Nigeria), Iceland and Croatia might play draw in the last match. Otherwise I'd say Croatia and Argentina will advance in either order depending on if it is a draw or win for Argentina.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #4 zahzah, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Not sure what game you were watching, but that is bull. They weren't outplayed, Croatia barely created anything and the save for one-two half chances the only other threat Croatia created was from speculative long shots. A 5-0 scoreline was never on the cards. Maybe 3-0 near the end when Nigeria was dejected.

Given offensively Nigeria was even worse.

5. BigD_D

BigD_D New Member

Atlético Madrid
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Arg looked flat. I am supporting Iceland. I like their story, I am digging the Viking clap, and their back line looked awesome.

I don't think the will do well letting teams get so deep, but they seemed comfortable like that. They did an amazing job swarmming and closing out on attackers.

Iceland was blessed when Messi failed at the PK. I think with see adjustments in the mid they will do well. I love their attack, but it felt like it took too long to develope

6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    In attack Croatia did not create much, but I meant that if they just work on that and get better at finding spaces up front quick enough and more accurate crosses, they could have won 5-0. They completely dominated the midfield. Didn't you see those dangerous passes that Modric and Rakitic were creating from the midfield? The midfielders did the best performance I have seen in the midfield from a tournament so far. The problem was in attack they were off and the crosses were very inaccurate.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    And if Nigeria worked on this or that or did this or that they would have scored three goals. They did not dominate midfield. Actually Etebo and Ndidi won the midfield battle. As evidenced by their overall stats, including Etebo being fouled 8 times and earning Croatia 2 yellows for their toubles. And no - I did not see those dangerous passes by Modric and Rakitic. I did however see Modric and Rakitic having their pocket picked on more than one occasions and both of them whacking aimlessly at Etebo who they were unable to stop with Modric miraculously not getting a yellow for persistent fouling.

I honestly saw a different game than you. Funnily enough even Croatia fans saw the game more like I did.

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    If Nigeria approaches the 2nd game v Iceland with the same players as they did in the 1st, do you think Iceland wins? a tie? Nigeria win? you appear to be one of the more knowing of the African game.. interested in your view points given the possible situations..

Also, how do you see the group shaping out at this point? given what we have seen.. vs what we expected originally..

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The coach Rohr has played 4-2-3-1 in five out of six games now this year - ending with a lucky win vs Poland and 4 losses. The only luck Rohr had was after changing to a 3-5-2 formation.

How exactly is Ighalo supposed to score as a lone forward (no matter how terrible he was), if he has failed to do so vs much less compact backlines? If Nigeria can't create opportunities vs Croatia or Poland or Czech Rep, how are they to create them against Iceland?

Rohr needs to change the personnel and needs to change to two forwards. Be it Iwobi + Iheanacho (look vs Argentina) or Iheanacho + Ighalo / Simy.

So yeah... Rohr needs to change something. At minimum Nigeria need two strikers up front.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  10. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I still have hope that we will get it right. Rohr needs to make changes because if we don't we won't get anything out of the group.

11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    In my view Argentina wasn't that bad against Iceland than most people make to be. They were shaky at the back yes but the second half was in full controll of Argentina. Croatia won against Nigeria but a much better effort is needed against Argentina. Nigeria was very disappointing. I had low expectations on Nigeria anyways but I never expected such a bloodless display of them to be honest. I think we will see a slightly improved Nigeria against Iceland. Iceland has slightly improved its chances to get out if this group but I still don't see them making it.

Argentina - Croatia Argentina win or Draw
    Nigeria - Iceland Draw
    Iceland - Croatia Croatia win
    Nigeria - Argentina Argentina win

Croatia 7/ Argentina 7
    Croatia 6/ Argentina 5
    Iceland 2
    Nigeria 1

Argentina - Croatia will determine who tops the group. Iceland finishing third, Nigeria bottom with one point.

12. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Arg-Cro = CRO WIN
    Nig - Ice = draw
    Ice - Cro = CRO WIN
    Nig- Arg = ARG WIN

Cro= 9
    Arg = 4
    Ice = 2
    Nig = 1

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Then again, if Croatia enter that 3rd game already qualified, they will likely rest guys.

It is entirely possible that it ends

Cro = 6
    Ice = 5
    Arg = 4
    Nig = 1

Ceres repped this.