New Third Kit

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the seaosn voer and very little to talk about, we might as well speculate on/design some ideas for what our new third jersey will look like. Looking through some Adidas jerseys, I'd love to see something similar to Scotland's kit but in a yellow similar to Ukraine's kit.

[​IMG]

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope its actually put to use..... we used our whites how many times this year? once against Schalke I think?

I'd like to see them worn for Friendlies and the Open Cup.....or at the very least have consistency for when we where what jersey....

2010 - Blue/Gold
    2011 - Blue/White - Gold only in reserve matches
    2012 - Blue/L. Blue - White for one friendly

and the fact that we randomly wore the light blue (in 2012) or whites (in 2011) for home league games from time to time never made sense to me either.... (aside from a "lets sell more shirts" stance obviously)

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because we are due for a third kit after its 2-year life cycle, do we really need one other than as a means to rake more money in?

4. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while I love a nice 3rd kit speculation thread, WHY BOTHER? We just where our home jersey regardless of whether we are home or away. Am I one of the few who loves loves loves are away kit?

Furthermore, our home kit needs a major overhaul, its terrrrible (say like Charles Barkley).

Glhwcu repped this.
  5. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I think you just answered your own question. This team would do anything to make a buck.

If we're going to have a third shirt, then I want something completely off the wall, like everyone wearing MacMath's hot orange kit, or a kit that's bright yellow with a blue sash. Something really off the wall.

polaris04 repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought green & white or red & white would be cool.

celt1997 repped this.
  7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happens when you ask a rhetorical question?

;)

8. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I understand it stinks when they change the kit every few years I will never fault someone for trying to make money unless they are straight up trying to fleece someone. The Union are a business and the key role in a business is to try and find ways to make money. If they don't make money then the business folds. You can fault them for bad design (see all nude kits from year 1) or for a questionably named sponsor (in US eyes at least) or most certainly poor roster/management decisions.

Since I did not pay a lot of attention to MLS before the U, how often have the other teams changed their kits? Do they change/update their kits every chance they are allowed or do they keep them a year or two longer?

9. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If they bring out a 3rd kit they should probably work to get it in replica sizes. I tried on a xxl and it was skin tight across my back and shoulders (where I'm not so fat) and I easily fit in a XL replica kit...I would've bought one if I could fit into it.

10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I understand what you're saying, but usually third kits were for teams participating in extra competitions like Champions League. Now, it just seems like a way to make money, so they create a third kit. I completely understand return on investment and making sure that we stay afloat, but the impression that I get is that the Union would do just about anything for a buck.

Adidas does MLS kits in two year cycles. The Union will get two new shirts in 2014.

11. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that it is on a 2yr cycle with Adidas but I wasn't sure if every team made drastic changes like we did with our secondary kits this year or do they tweak the jerseys like we did with our primary or make no changes?

12. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    We made drastic changes because we had just finished our two year cycle, so they went in a different direction, while maintaining some semblance of familiarity. You have to use the jerseys that Adidas creates for two years. Teams don't make any changes after one year, at least as far as I've seen.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.....Portland, Vancouver, & Philly all introduced a Third Jersey in their second season's in MLS, despite not playing in CCL. The third kit looks like mostly a way to increase revenue, ditto with any merchandise a club sells. There's nothing wrong with this. Also, having Two primarily blue kits it is sometimes difficult to be all that different from what your opponent is wearing. Seeing as a large amount of MLS clubs have blue in their primary kit, or use a dark color for their primary kit.

I'd like to see a yellow jersey, or perhaps a less hideous attempt at a gold jersey (Juve had a nice gold kit a few years ago).

djramone repped this.
  14. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I know. That's why I said "third kits were for teams participating in extra competitions like Champions League."

We forced New England, Montreal, and DCU to wear white at home this year, when they always wear their dark colors at home. As much as I like the light blue kits, we either need to scrap that for a completely different color, or use that as our primary.

I'd be OK with yellow, so long as it wasn't as bright at Columbus or as dark/tan as our first year alternates.

15. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see some stripes in the Inter/Milan/Juve/Celtic mold. Always a good look.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much of a Celtic nut as I am, horizontal stripes make me look fat(ter), unless it's the '06 away.

[​IMG]

Vertical stripes will make our vertically-challenged strike force appear taller. I say that's the way to go.

17. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    do the vertical stripes. that would be real nice.

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we didn't see the third this year for the same reason we didn't see the khakis last year. They wanted to move the signal blues this time rather than the whites. If they get a new shirt next year, I expect it to be there simply to move merch in the off year and be an afterthought once there is something shiny and new.

Personally, I like the current shirts and I love the signal blue.

19. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone good enough with photoshop to make that Scotland jersey in yellow?

20. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, yeah, I meant vertical stripes.

21. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have that kit with Nakamura on the back. Def one of my favs. Id love to see that in Union Blue and Gold

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the early-day SoB Casa League shirts? The ones which chafe your nipples?

23. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt say they were my favorite to play in or where around. Just favorite design. However I love Collar kits.

Dills repped this.
  24. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    im totally stoked on getting new jerseys. i, for one, enjoy buying jerseys and merchandise of all sorts. i dont really understand why someone would be against them doing a new one. also, the old 3rd kits are the worst fitting jerseys ever. i am 5'11 185 lbs. not exactly huge, and the XL is somewhat tight in the body, but baggy in the sleeves shoulders.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  25. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the opposite problem, I'm 6'2 and around 280. Typically my jerseys are very tight in the shoulders. I haven't even tried on an authentic.