New STH Membership contract?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Revitup, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Revitup

Revitup New Member

May 13, 2013
    Does anyone else object to terms of Membership contract?

It contains the usual one-sided language the protects the Revs and exposes STH, but also:

-Revs can cancel membership or change benefits at any time without notice
    -If members cancel, they must give 29 days notice- no credit for unused tickets
    -Members must keep a valid credit card on file at all times ( or else)
    -Memberships automatically renew each year, at current prices, which runs 10/1 - 9/30
    -Playoff tickets are automatically charged to member accounts unless members opt out

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBD, in my opinion. I'm sure similar language is written in a BJ's Club or AAA membership contract. The pats STH membership probably says the same thing. It's just written to benefit the revs by optimizing renewals and automate manual processes and keeping info up to date. Normal business. In fact, it's amazing it took them this long to do that.

rkupp repped this.
  3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BJ's and AAA don't automatically renew.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I'm a member of both. The point was auto-renewing is a very common business practice.

Maybe I gave a couple bad examples but my car/home insurance, various utilities, netflix, Amazon prime and several other monthly/annual bills I pay all auto-renewed and I didn't blink an eye. In fact, it makes it easier - one less thing to do manually.

If you're a revs STH, when the season is over if you don't want rev season tickets again, call your rep and say that. I really don't understand the big deal.

5. Revitup

Revitup New Member

May 13, 2013
    I guess this group has spoken, and maybe it isn't a big deal...But this is a change in the STH contract, not one that benefits me, and one that was not mentioned when the new "membership program" was announced. For me, being a STH and whether or not I buy playoff tickets is year-to-year proposition. I don't like signing a contract that commits me to future seasons and playoff tickets (at whatever prices they decide) unless I opt out at a specific time, which is what it says. I would rather not have to remember in September of next year to cancel my membership, or call my rep. Maybe he should call me. I also don't like the idea that in order to prevent an annual renewal, I have to notify them in in September and then lose out on the opportunity to buy playoff tickets as a STH that season. If I commit to a season, I guess I think I should be able to buy playoff tickets (as a STH) for that season whether or not I renew. Maybe I am too sensitive to contracts.

ktsd repped this.
  6. Revitup

Revitup New Member

May 13, 2013
    Not per my reading of the new contract. If you wait until Oct 2, (last reg season game this year is Oct 1.), to opt out of next season, it's too late. STH's agree that their credit card will be charged 10/1 of each year for the first monthly or annual payment. You also agree that you have to give them 29 days notice, during which time you have agreed to purchase playoff tickets unless you specifically opted out.

Enforcement of all this is another matter, but I would rather not agree to it all, in writing, in the first place.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither do the Patriots.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Check with your rep - maybe there is an option if you find the auto-renewal objectionable?

9. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I'm on your side. I _hate_ auto renewals. As more and more services go that way, that's more and more stuff to opt out of and potentially forget about. The cynical side of me thinks that this is what companies bank on now: forgetfulness, laziness and aloofness- they just position it as 'convenience'. (Sorry to all of you who _actually_ are invested enough to do it as convenience and have sound budgetary practices). I feel the same way with free 30-day trials and introductory offers.

I'd rather determine I need whatever-it-is, pay for it, and then if I want to continue to get whatever-it-is next time around, recognize that I should pay for it again pro-actively. Rather than forget as a deadline passes and have to think: Did I really need whatever-it-is this month or year or whatever? Too late!

Multiply that by however many services, contracts, subscriptions, bill-pays - each with their own terms and dates by which to cancel - and suddenly your decisions for your upcoming usage of funds are made for you. No thank you.

When I want to go to a Revs game, I do what everyone else does: Cut a fresh slice into the side of my mattress, carefully count out the bills I need for gas, food, tix, and maybe a souvenier, then sew the mattress back up and hit the road.

Get off my lawn.

Revs in 2010 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 RevsLiverpool, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    That's really not a big deal. You're clearly aware of the language, so just set a reminder to make your decision on STHs for next year before October 1st. Or, let it auto renew and if you get charged, just call your credit card company and dispute the charge like you would for any other purchase you didn't want.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you have a 50k waiting list, you probably can leave it up to the STHs to renew on their own. The revs don't have that luxury and apparently rev STHs aren't capable of calling their rep to cancel, which is pretty embarrasing.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 RevsLiverpool, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Serious question - and no disrespect intended - but what revs Season Ticket Holder would not buy playoff tickets?

I can't imagine paying to go to 17 regular season games and then choosing to not support your team against the cream of the crop, when there is a league championship on the line - especially since there are only a couple home games usually. It's unfathomable to me as a sports fan, let alone revs fan.

Complaining about auto renewal for a team you support enough to spend hundreds on season tickets, then choosing to buy or not but playoff tickets is ...strange.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wail, let's just say the Revs finish 3rd or 4th (we can dream, can't we?) and we get one home game guaranteed. S'pose for whatever reason, you couldn't make that (midweek) game. It doesn't make you any less of a fan, does it? Also, are you charged in advance for every possible home playoff game, even if they lose the knockout wildcard game? That's OK, those 4 extra games will be credited to your next year's bill.

14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I had a gym membership that not only auto-renewed, but also had to be cancelled by a registered letter. Took me about 6 months to finally get it correctly turned off.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I had the same experience with a gym. Now THAT is obnoxious but apparently sadly common within the gym industry.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    "Like everyone else does" ? o_O

;)

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I get why some revs fans don't like auto-renewal - too complicated. They apparently don't have bank accounts. ;)