New Star Trek Series in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoCalYid, Nov 2, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But try to just enjoy the ride and Geek Out like I'm going to do

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Could be just broadcasters getting ever more suspicious of leaks like they happened with game of thrones

3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but if you're that concerned about leaks I would think you wouldn't do the screening at all. This feels like they know what is coming, and it ain't good.

White/Blue_since1860 and Dante repped this.
  4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, you want to make sure people subscribe to the service, not having a good product goes against that. If it’s good there’s no reason not to get the word out. Companies usually out the embargo date close to or on release date if they’re not confident in it. Having the embargo end AFTER the episode airs is just odd.

If they want to avoid spoilers then make them sign a NDA.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But reviewers have become super powerful in this era of infinite viewing choices, so bad reviews will mean people won't even give it a chance. Maybe they don't have confidence in it, or maybe this will be more and more common in future television and movies.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to this. A friend whose office is near mine has figurines from all of the series on one of his shelves, and I asked him his plans for the show. Same idea. Not about to pay - and not trusting that it will be good.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Series premiere tonight.

-G

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those opening credits are not very good. TNG, Voyager, DS9 were all about space exploration, nothing in there says that to me. Nothing.

Well, guess we'll see how much I'll like it or hate in in a few hours.

11. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was....fine.
    Show Spoiler
    I can't believe they'd start the series by having the star physically assault a superior officer, but whatever. I'm sure they'll have a perfectly plausible reason to make her first officer of the Discovery.
    If the show was on a platform I had, I'd watch the next episode. Might have even watched the series. Oh well.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched both episodes since the wife has had a CBSAA subscription for months, I hate that there are commercials, but overall...

Eh.

I absolutely HATE the Klingons, not a fan of the communication tech in the ships since we don’t see something like that until the later seasons of DS9, quite a few Easter eggs, a few things taken from the Kelvinverse as well. Oh and did I say how much I HATE the Klingons?

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBS has commercials on their paid subscription service?

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have two levels of service, the $6 one has commercials, if you want it commercial free you have to pay $10.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So I saw the first episode.

I like it better than J.J. Abrams vision of Star Trek but it still doesn't feel quite like Trek.
    I didn't like the Klingon iconography. Somehow it felt like it belonged in the Stargate universe rather than in Trek. I can't really fault the cast, they are fine for the most part. I didn't like the contrived nature of the Commanders little mission to examine the beacon. Surely there would have been other ways to examine the object even if the sensors could not pierce through the radiation, like sending in a probe?

It's interesting that Dante hates the opening credits when that was probably the only thing I truly loved. :)

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #166 Dante, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Upon multiple viewings I like it (the opening credits that is), the score to it is nice, but it still doesn't emote a sense of space and discovery to me.

There's so much I dislike about the first two episodes, so much, but the Klingons are the worst. They've somehow managed to make them even more cliched.

Belgian guy repped this.
  17. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #167 NORML, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Hope all the pew, pew, pewing (in the preview) is gonna just be early on as a hook and we get some more discovering. I actually think I will subscribe to CBS to watch this.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    upload_2017-9-25_21-45-34.png

This woman concisely and accurately describes that I think is missing. What I mean when I say that it doesn't yet feel like Trek.

And yes, I know that there were entire story arcs devoted to war in the shows she refers to, but the strength of Trek for me was always what happened in the quieter moments.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    To her point, there is a reason why so many scenes in the previous Trek series take place in the mess halls (including the captain's private mess hall), or Quark's bar, or even within taverns, restaurants and the like during holodeck scenarios.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She might want to give Enterprise a shot. I wrote it off too early when it was on, but now I rank it pretty high, with a few episodes in consideration for Ten Best in Franchise discussion.

NORML and Belgian guy repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I was truly tempted before, but there's no way I drop additional money on their service and then accept that they show commercials still. I will skip the DVR'd episode one we have, too. As an old friend used to say, this is an up with which I will not put.

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to set up the recording, but it's highly unlikely that we would subscribe to any pay streaming service - netflix is slow enough for us and our crappy DSL internet service that we would most likely not be happy campers.

My wife and I have seen the first three episodes of "The Orville" and my wife's main comment was, it made her miss "real" Star Trek. But "The Orville" may be the closest thing to old school Trek that is available right now. My wife was a big fan of Enterprise. If you can make it past the first couple of seasons with the tedious "temporal cold war" or whatever the hell they called it, it was pretty good after that.

Belgian guy repped this.
  23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It will take, what, 7 months to show the first season? There is no way the Blu-Ray will cost that much.

Ismitje repped this.
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Oh, I agree, I liked Enterprise fine, apart from the way they ended it.

NORML repped this.
  25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably more, they're splitting up the first season 8 episodes now and then 7 episodes in 2018.