New Star Trek Series in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoCalYid, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starfleet uniforms apparently changed drastically in the ten years between the Discovery era and the TOS era. :eek:

Even though Starfleet uniforms changed as well from the first episode of TNG to Star Trek: Nemesis, the evolution seemed more clear along the way.

-G

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #127 Dante, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Post-Kelvin Klingons pre-TOS??? Sarek looked far too emotional in his clip.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It looks like a Star Trek series made by people who don't like Star Trek.

Also, what is up with the look of the Klingons?

Dante repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They didn't even look like post-Kelvin Klingons but something else entirely.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To say more about the look - they made it look futuristic, but they removed the quality of futurism that Star Trek used to have. There was this quality of looking forward and thinking about how design might be impacted by new technologies and new ways of thinking. If you are spending years on a ship, it should be comfortable, or at least conducive to doing work and recreation. Not actively aggravating, like that bridge. Or that corridor. The US Navy studied the Enterprise bridge, and it actually influenced the design of the bridges on the Littoral Combat Ships. A week into serving on the USS Made-You-Squint and I'd be stabbing all those lights with some futuristic sharp implement.

Belgian guy and Dante repped this.
  6. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And I really, really hate the "sensing death" thing. Yes Star Trek has a history of many kinds of telepathy, but this weird combination of telepathy and precognition creates lots of logical and philosophical problems for something that I can't imagine would help storytelling a lot (Why not have a guy who says "This is the part of the story that is really tense, you stupid audience". It's the same thing.). It's a riff off the Soul Hunters from Babylon 5, which I really didn't like.

Belgian guy repped this.
  7. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Let me cut against the grain, I say I liked the trailer…or at least it raised my interest level, which is I guess is the job of any trailer…pretty high production value and nothing overly cringe-worthy… maybe I just hate Star Trek…

Belgian guy repped this.
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This is sort of proving my point that this appears to a Star Trek show made by people who don't like Star Trek.

9. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trailer for me fits the tone of the new movies pretty well.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does fit the new movies, but CBS and the people attached to it said that it wouldn't be set in that universe, it was set in the Prime universe.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's the visual effects that makes it seem like set in the new universe. Thats the only problem I have so far: CGI and greenscreen all over the place. From this little bit I fear they might use it to overcompensate for problems with the storytelling.

12. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know. But just because in "canon" it fits in the Prime universe, doesn't mean they can't want the tone of the series to fit better the JJ universe.

I am curious if what we've seen is just the first episode. I thought Jason Isaacs was supposed to be the captain of the Discovery, and I'm not even sure if that ship they're showing is the Discovery, so perhaps the first episode is how the main character gets to the Discovery.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday, September 24th at 8:30pm on CBS and CBS All-Access, then a new ep will premier every Sunday at 8pm on All-Access, with 8 episodes from Sept-Nov then the back 7 starting early 2018.

[​IMG]

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't like how half the trailer was people passively watching the screen. The space battles looked cool, but confusing, which admittedly is probably a conscious part of trailer design. I still don't know what the show will be about, except that it will be about personal discovery, which seems to be the hot subject this decade.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show looks like garbage to me, it would look like less garbage if they just said it was not in the Prime universe, but rather the Kelvin universe. Then I could accept this more.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh goodness that looks horrible.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ellaspy

ellaspy New Member

Arsenal FC
    Mexico
    Sep 4, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \

It looks promising, but maybe I won't watch it on the big screen or it depends on its review.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I can't wait for this. My hopes are that it'll be generally favorable like B or 80%

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first two episodes of Discovery will debut to critics and the press on Tuesday, September 19th. The reviews are embargoed until the night of the 24th, AFTER the CBS airing.

That is SUPER sketchy to me and further emboldens my stance that this is going to be trash.

25. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't make much sense to me. It's not a movie where if you can get as many people as you can the first couple of days you've at least gotten their money. This succeeds or fails depending on how many people stick through the season. Doesn't really matter how many people watch the series premiere if most of them don't come back to watch the rest.

I'll watch the premiere, but I'm not getting the streaming service.

Dante and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.