New Stadium?

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by Goforthekill, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulie4star

Paulie4star Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not trying to be too intrusive here, but the way you have a specific year you'll return to Minnesota seems like you may be under contract for your job? Militarily perhaps? Haha, I only ask because I am in the military and plan on returning home (Minnesota) summer of 2014. Unless I re-up and go to Italy which are slim chances. Just curious, that's all. :)

2. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope I'm doing the other big profession in this area, law. I enjoy being out here for the most part, but the cost of living is insane. My townhouse in Alexandria would cost at least 25% less in Minneapolis. People aren't as friendly either.

3. Paulie4star

Paulie4star Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, brother. I pay $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment here in Chesapeake. I could get this same apartment for half the price where I grew up. I also wouldn't have the crime, traffic, or rudeness back home either. Cannot wait to get back to Minnesota. :) I'm hoping DC and Sporting meet up in the playoffs so I can go to a game in DC. I missed the home opener because I was in North Carolina at the time.

Edit: I'm originally from a small town in Southeastern corner of MN, but I plan on moving to Rochester when I get back home. Wouldn't be a terrible drive to games, but it'd be worth it supporting them.

4. JamieMCFC

JamieMCFC Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Minnesota United FC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid $160 for my supporter season tickets which includes a Stars scarf.

4/30 is Manchester derby I took the day off so I could watch it. I can't belive they would schedule that game for a Monday.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They trying to be American

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbegm6R6mU"]ESPN Monday Night Football - YouTube[/ame]

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They trying to be American

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbegm6R6mU"]ESPN Monday Night Football - YouTube[/ame]

7. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. MN Timberjack

MN Timberjack New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that we'll see a development in the vein of San Antonio's efforts. Possibly built along one of the new light rail lines.

10. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Posted these gems in the Minnesota MLS expansion forum.

Unreal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as of now the retractable roof idea is dead (unless the Vikings owner pays the extra cost).

12. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    In that they are terrible?

No way are United ever going to play in this place at any level below MLS, if even then. And that would be _if_ they could squeeze a regulation pitch onto that area. As of now, it doesn't look like they'll be able to unless they pull back the mixed-use seating, and that's with a 110yd end-to-end length. Not exactly ideal.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But nice crowd they got in there for U baseball.

14. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Nah, MLS doesn't add up to a hill of beans. I'm just commenting on the stadium, it looks pretty friggn incredible. I can see the Super Bowl coming back to the Twin Cities.

In regards to soccer, if the Vikings/Wolfe family wants to play MLS games there and pay to transfer an existing club or pay for an expansion club then I see Minnesota soccer fans rejoicing and more than happy going to that venue. The rail system, it's location right downtown are all positives.

Hopefully it works out for you folks.

15. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The rail system is a definite positive, but that's been true for the last decade and would have been regardless of the design--which I think is pretty terrible.

Obstructed view seating, no roof feature, a half-assed window feature out onto the plaza, and no integration into the existing neighborhood. The thing looks neat in a vacuum, but as a football stadium? In downtown Minneapolis? In that particular location?

Wilf isn't even taking care of any of the development around the area. There are some interesting developments being worked on by others, but as of now, it feels like Zygi held the tax payers hostage and then refused to pony up his share.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for MLS. On the list of things the Wilfs will not be paying for any time soon, I'd say an uncertain venture like MLS is pretty high on the list. He used enthusiasm for soccer to gain further support for the stadium, especially among young urbanites who don't care about the NFL and might have opposed it.

Given the design documents that the stadium commission has released, there are big questions as to whether or not a soccer field would even fit on the stadium floor. The max length at present would be 110 yds, and the default configuration would only allow for 68-70 yds of width.

16. placount

placount Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do like they do in the dome when united play, use the baseball configuration, then they could accommodate the width. Ultimately though, this is a shitty venue for soccer. I highly doubt we'll ever see any big internationals held in it, even more doubtful that the Wilfs will seriously make a push for the MLS.

It's depressing as all hell, but this shoots my MLS dream in the foot. Let's just get behind the NASL for now I guess. The NASL has a crop of good new owners that have real money. Lots of excitement around a few of it's new clubs, attendance is up, long term we gotta hope that theres some sort of aba/nba type merger. hope? maybe? probably not.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, an NBA/ABA merger type thing will not happen.

(That was more a capitulation than a merger anyway, and the NBA saw the value in having Dr. J and other players in their league. The ABA wasn't in a position, really, to fight any longer.)

As has happened in the past, a DII to DI situation, surely, that could happen on a team-by-team basis. Given the right owner, the right stadium situation, and MLS being willing.

But with 20 teams now in MLS, the league doesn't have to go any farther. They are likely to, eventually, but there's no imperative for them to do so. They will have added 10 teams in 10 years when all is said and done. They could wait another ten years (though I don't personally think it will be that long) before they go any farther, or they could go even more slowly on the next two or four than they did on the last ten.

As mentioned, the new facility is not going to be optimal for soccer. So you're in the same boat a lot of places have been: find a solution. The Twin Cities would certainly be as attractive an option as any, which doesn't guarantee anything, but puts them in the conversation.

18. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    If there ever was a merger, I think that it would be something like a different type of Pro/Rel.
    Where MLS would have 2 conferences that are between 12 to 16 teams in each conference and then NASL would be the 2nd Division with a Western League and an Eastern League (each having between 12 to 24 teams). Then on the Pro/Rel it would be kinda like the J-League rules.
    To be promoted you have to meet certain standards.
    1. Ownership group must be worth so much.
    2. Must have a Soccer Specific Stadium that has at least 18,000 seats.
    3. Must have an Academy System.
    and so on.
    If you meet these standards you must defeat the MLS team your replacing.
    That is how it would work in my mythological fantasy world of soccer but hey a guy can dream.

19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    But here's the thing, there won't be a merger. Most MLS owners are in another league from NASL owners, both literally and figuratively. Our owner is one of the possible exceptions.

The point, however, is this: even though the team could technically play on the pitch with the mixed-use seats pulled back, either all the way or slightly, it's clear that Wilf and the Stadium Commission actually didn't give a damn about making sure the new venue could host soccer games. That means we're not likely to see MLS associated with Wilf or with this very well located monstrosity.

So in a lot of ways, placount is right: the Twin Cities need to start supporting NASL, and people holding out for MLS need to stop and start supporting local soccer. McGuire is the only guy in town who looks even moderately interested in pro soccer or in finding a stadium solution. If we we want MLS, our best bet is MN United and McGuire. So let's show the guy that we'll buy what he's selling.

Bluesfan, kenntomasch and eclipse02 repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's going to happen to Midway once the Saints move?

I realize you wouldn't want to play IN Midway (though I found it a charming independent baseball venue), but are their plusses to the location?

21. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I lived in Midway for years and loved it. Definitely gets a bad rap.

But for some reason I seem to remember that Midway stadium won't be available after the Saints leave. I'll check on it and post back on this thread.

22. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Notice the part where i said this is all in my mythical fantasy world.

bullsear repped this.
  23. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it look likes the vikings owning an MLS team was a ploy .

eclipse02 repped this.
  24. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I read this one too, but the author unfortunately doesn't have a very good handle on the situation. His summary of the way the MLS "exclusivity" clause works is as misguided as most of the reporting on that issue has been.

" This guarantees the NFL franchise a stake in any MLS organization that comes to town between 2016 and 2021."

Actually, what it does is guarantee that anyone who has a 3% share in the Vikings the right to bring an MLS team to that venue. The league isn't bound to the Wilfs as an ownership group or to people of Minnesota. That means that anyone who was willing to pony up $100M can bring a team to Minnesota.

I'm becoming less and less enamored of the idea of playing in The Post-ModernDome anyway. As the author of the piece says, playing to 20k in a stadium built to hold 70k is no picnic. I'd rather not have an MLS team than have an MLS team like the Revolution. And that's what the choices are down to with the Wilfs in charge, cause let's be honest--there's no way the Twin Cities will support an MLS team like Seattle does.

The best bet has gotta be Bruce McGuire and finding a downtown stadium solution.