New Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Stadium opening is delayed due to emergency systems not passing a test.

Not a huge shock to be honest, construction projects rarely finish on time, or on revised time, or even the third revised time.

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, Liverpool and Cardiff matches switched to Wembley. Man City (Oct 28) may be the first but it's "TBC" as of now. :(

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hope they had a late delivery penalty in the contract

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It is interesting that nobody picked up on a comment Daniel Levy made last year on the progress of the new stadium. He said that we would know that the project was on schedule if the roof was being put in place in February. As it happened, I don't think they started putting the roof in place until June. The next clue was when the NFL announced contingency plans for their October fixture. To be honest, looking at the most recent pictures of the stadium, it does not look anywhere near being ready and even the end of October is looking to be a stretch. I would not be surprised if the first game at the new ground were in January 2019 considering the club has activated an agreement with Wembley for fixtures up to the end of 2018. We were all scratching our heads about why we didn't but any players in the transfer window - well now we know why.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If you look at the stadium thread on SpursCommunity, you'll see that lots and lots of people have been concerned about all of those things throughout the process. Of course, it's a thread with over 32k posts (and some 3million views), so no matter what happened, someone will have predicted it.

At any rate, this, I fear, is going to be a rather big deal. The fact that the club let Neil Ashton beat them to the punch has a lot of people very angry. As is virtually everyone who's paid over the top for a season ticket. How it's gonna play out with UEFA remains to be seen, as I'm not sure we'll be allowed to play CL matches in more than one ground. Perhaps the damage won't be too great, but not delivering on our NFL agreement cannot be good going forward.

Under promise/over deliver is among the simplest business maxims out there … how someone as business-savvy as our Dan could get that soooo ass-backward - in so big a project - is hard to believe. I mean, a lot of people have invested in this place being open this fall. And believe me, loads of folks were warning about Mace Construction's tendency toward developments like this right from the off. There may be some bad luck involved - but the way this has played out was totally avoidable.

Levy and club are gonna get a helluva black eye from this.

For myself, I'm just relieved at my 'misfortune' of not being able to get over this fall. I would be very, very pissed off right now.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think Spurs and Daniel Levy have been clever about this whole situation. I think they knew for a long time that the stadium would not be ready for the fall and managed to string the PL along nicely. Remember, Spurs got an extension on committing to Wembley for the whole 2018-19 season. I think they knew that if they went to the PL and asked to play half a season at the new ground, their request would be rejected out of hand. Now, the PL has no choice but to accept the fact Spurs will play at most half a season at 2 grounds.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but they do have the choice as to whether or not to heavily fine us - or better still, deduct points.

if Levy and the club have been clever, it's been very effectively disguised as not terribly clever.

Funkfoot and Golara repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    There is no way the PL would dock us points. The only thing worse than dealing with Daniel Levy is dealing with his legal team.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    As I thought, it is looking more and more likely that the new ground will be opening at the earliest in December, but more likely in January 2019. The club have confirmed all our group games in the CL will be played at Wembley, which takes us through the month of November. After defeat to Watford and the possibility of playing a "home" League Cup tie in Milton Keynes, it's not been a great week for the club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/03/daniel-levy-frustration-spurs-new-stadium-wembley

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I would guess - and it's only a guess - that UEFA has insisted that all group games be played at the same venue in the interest of fairness. So I doubt that the date of the last match is indicative of much. Once we missed the first date, they were all going to Wembley.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The other concern mentioned in the article is that there is no scheduled test events either and I if I understand correctly, they had to execute 2 successful test events before they got the green light. I hope I am wrong, but I would be very surprised if we are playing in the new ground before the calendar turns.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, fair enough. I've pretty much reconciled myself to the fact that it'll happen when it happens. nothing's gonna surprise me.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully enough to purchase a new CB.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    soccernutter repped this.
  16. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure why, but I was thinking of the last game at the old Lane this morning, against Man U. All the ex players walking out on the pitch, and the rainbow over the old stand. It feels like such a long time ago, and it will be SO good to go back home.

Golara repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the above picture, looks like a spray tan. ;)

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    They are actually glow lights for the turf. According to the stats, the distance between the seats behind the goals and the pitch will be only 5 metres (compared to 13.5 metres at the New Library, and 18 metres at the Dildo Dome and Wemberley...)

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Heard the one about the brand new stadium that never opened?

Or the one about how many contractors does it take to test a fire alarm?

Our pristine new stadium, which looks fantastic with the pitch laid and all the seats in place, will not be ready to host matches until January at the earliest as confirmed by club chairman Daniel Levy. Levy, notorious for his fastidious nature, has made a right bollocks of the new stadium development, from the fiasco of the Olympic Stadium to the multiple delays caused by incompetent contractors and the obfuscation regarding the opening date of the new ground. To make matters worse, the club have had to take a further loan of 237 million pounds because of the delays, which brings the overall club debt to 600 million pounds.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...firm-new-stadium-will-not-be-ready-until-2019

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a beautiful golden ball

24. TottenhamHotCrew

TottenhamHotCrew New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Does anyone know if the team shop is open to the public still? American fan here and my sister is going to be in the area the next week and I want her to stop by and pick me up a few things.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it's open.

Provisional opening hours for the Shop this week are:
    10am-5pm: Tuesday-Saturday
    10.30am-4.30pm: Sunday

they've been listing 'this week's provisional' hours for months. Presumably they will change once the stadium opens; but I'd guess these will be the hours until then.