New stadium in Somerville

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by napolisoccer, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh ok, we should keep the stadium in foxboro, so the 11 people driving from connecticut don't have to drive an extra 20 minutes. meanwhile, the millions who live in and around boston will juyst continue to ignore the team, because they dont feel like driving down to suckass foxboro mass, because they can just take the T to do a billion other things that wont involve sitting in traffic, driving to the middle of nowhere, and hanging out with a bunch of cry babby retards from connecticut.

2. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I am not sure, but it seems that it could work.

[​IMG]
    I have placed DSGP (maybe not the best choice) on the plot (you can see part of the existing track sticking out under the stadium.... it would seem that there is minimally adequate parking (much more than Sandy), but there are a lot of lots around the site (other side of VFW Pkway)... though I don't know whether they could ever be used on a weekend night, for example... and a pedestrian overpass would almost certainly have to be built...

I don't know how close this is to a station (or how inconvenient it might be)... but those are the MBTA lines running right next to the stadium...

I also don't know what other NIMBY complications there might be, but since it is currently used as an entertainment venue, I can't imagine that zoning would be a big thing...

Rand

3. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the wonderland blue line stop is literally across the street, and the revere beach stop is close as well

4. Agrippa93

Agrippa93 Member

May 27, 2007
    CT
    I've had this conversation before. Most of the Mass people (sorry, only the snobs) are forgetting that it's the NEW ENGLAND Revolution and not the Boston Revolution. There are other states in New England other than Mass. There are people that drive down from New Hampshire and above that come to games too. I don't care where the stadium is, because I'll support the team regardless and drive to wherever I have to. It's unfortunate that some would not ("I am done") because they don't move to where it's convenient for them. There are no cry babies from CT. I'm fine with the travel.

Garrett, I'll stop by your truck, but you can keep your beer.

5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, please. They can't want the Revs to move for the good of the team, can they? No way! :rolleyes:

And what's up with this dick measuring contest? "You only drive 30 minutes to the games? Well I drive 1 hour and 40 minutes! Clearly I'm a more dedicated fan than you are!"

7. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care where the stadium is because it shows a commitment from the club and how serious they are about growing their fanbase and the team. If they build it in eastbum******** (anywhere not on the T) then they're not that serious about growing the Revs brand. It's pretty simple.

I've been called many things, Snob is not one of them. You are forgetting that Boston is the center of New England for population, commerce, power and everything else.

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    From what I've heard, Suffolk Downs is a semi-reasonable place to get to by car, but that extra mile north is a whole lot of suck from a capacity standpoint. It's also supposedly easier to get to Suffolk Downs from Maine to take the highways and then drive north because of the clusterflock the roads are to the north of Wonderland. In that picture alone, there are two rotaries. Imagine egressing from that.

That'd be the drawback.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So if the team can't get a stadium in Boston built, you'd jump ship? Weak.

10. Agrippa93

Agrippa93 Member

May 27, 2007
    CT
    This is the whole point I'm trying to make. Thanks for summoning it up in one sentence.

11. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said near the T. That includes more places than Boston.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the idea. Coming from the accessibility angle, it's pretty much ideal for a LOT of people and 5 minutes from the airport. 2 T stops walking distance away. Here's a Blue Line T map for perspective on its proximity to downtown Boston. It's out of the way enough that the Blue Line wouldn't be crammed with a zillion other T riders (think Green Line to Fenway) yet you're 10 minutes from Gov't Center. Probably enough room for a 25-30k stadium - assuming of course the Boston Common deal falls thru ;)

For those that drive, good access to the major routes and local access roads - 5 minutes to the pike via 1A, 10 minutes to 93, 7 minutes to route 1. 10 minutes to downtown Boston and the subsequent apres-soccer nightlife (and something like 50 colleges and universities). Connecticut people can just board their private jet and fly to Logan if they don't want to drive. ;)

If THAT's not access for the masses I don't know what is.

13. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's what I meant by Boston. So, that's a yes? If Boston-area politics blocks a stadium effort, you'd cease your allegiance?

14. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about the inclusion for all New Englanders, it is about populating the stadium with the most amount of fans, growing the brand and becoming a popular team in the area. In Foxboro, it won't happen. They will forever be supported by the same core of fans that have always come, and will not grow at all. If you are happy with a team that gets 12-14K per game, no local media coverage, a crappy TV deal, an unrecognizable brand, not a destination for high profile players, and plays in the middle of nowhere, then that is fine. I want more. It has nothing to do with me being a Boston snob, and everything to do with putting the team in the area that will aid in growing the team the best, and sadly for you, that is Boston.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow jokee you said something I 100% agree with, first for everything!
    :D

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That seems like a case for building a stadium in Belerica, in that population mecca of Middlesex County, which we all know dwarfs Boston.

17. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't cease my allegiance, but i wouldn't go to games. I like arsenal, but I don't go to games, because its not convenient. I watch them on TV, which is where all of my Revs viewing would go back to if they aren't out of Foxboro in the next few years. I won't be offended that management didn't get a Boston-area stadium built, but I also won't spend time traveling to a stadium in the middle of nowhere, when I can just as easily take the T to a bar and watch the game....or even easier, sit at home and watch it on TV.

18. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no.

19. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Which is fair. If traveling to every game you can becomes a chore you no longer see as worth it, it's your prerogative. It just sounded like you and Gore vs 3000 would stop following the team and the league.

20. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already said that he would just sit at home and watch the games, or watch them at a bar, as well. I don't need to defend him, but with the Agrippa's of the world telling us how much better of a fan he is cuz he travels an hour and 40 minutes, and that he doesn't want "our attitude" at games, I think it is important that we express how we really feel about the situation. That way Agrippa can go on acting like a total elitist prick, and call other people snobs. Cool.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only so much you can take - frustrating to look around the league and nearly everyone else either has their own SSS or is actively pursuing options to make it work. Even RBNY has one which is a kick to the junk.

22. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be somewhat fair, the Revs do have their own stadium. It isn't exclusively theirs, but the owner of the team owns the stadium. So, having it's own stadium isn't a high priority of mine. Other teams, like Redbulltardz needed one, because they were losing so much money in rent. The Revs are in a good situation as far as that is concerned. I wouldn't care if they shared their new field with other teams, so long as the stadium is within useable access to public transportation, so that the brand has a large potential to expand its footprint upon the local market.

However, their stadium is in the middle of southwest bum********, and sucks to get to.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread closed ... over 500 posts as this thread blew up in the last 24 hours.

New thread here.