New stadium for Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Moaca, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Bob Young on PTS August 25 6pm (20:15)

(27:00) "When I say this is going to be a great fan experience, there is nothing in Toronto and I'm including the Air Canada Centre and the Rogers Centre that will compete with the fan experience at Tim Hortons Field. This is a 21st century facility and has all the great design elements that have been innovated on across North America in the last, whatever, 50 years, it's going to be a truly exceptional facility"

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It seems like a nice little stadium....but what on earth is that hyperbole based on. What does this place have that ACC, RC, even spartan BMO, not have that make it such a great fan experience?

3. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Tim Hortons Field August 31/2014

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Courtesy Scott Mitchell@ticatmitchell and TravelPatB at ticats.ca

Seagrams Touchdown Lounge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Tks to pigskinned at ticats.ca

[​IMG]

6. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    From catsteelers2002 at ticats.ca

So as I sat in section 214 during the first half, I leaned over to my brother and mentioned how the music that was being played after every play was turned off just before the ball was snapped. I said to him that the music must be interfering with our offensive signals pre-snap. So I noticed a message on the scoreboard to text fan experience ideas to guest services. So I sent a text..."music interfering with our offense" I received a text back 10 minutes later "thank you for your feedback. We will pass it on. Oskee Wee Wee!" Second half ...no music during our offensive plays! Holy cow, it worked! Sightlines are awesome, seats are comfy. So great to have football back in our city.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Has to be at least 5 years since I was in a stadium that did not have a fan assist text/phone line....that is hardly innovative and, certainly, something that exists at all 4 of BMO/ACC/RC

8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Really nothing that spectacular to any new stadium around the World but for The City of Hamilton, Hamilton TiCats, CFL, and Canada it is a big deal. The modern CFL came about in the 50's along with the NHL, NFL, and NBA. Since then there has been barely any upgrades in stadiums in the CFL of Canada.
    Their previous stadium, Ivory Wynn was built in the 1920's. It did have a serious upgrade in the 70's but since then nothing.
    So for Hamilton, The TiCats, the CFL, and Canada's National gridiron football league it is huge. From the old beat up seating that crammed people in Ivory Wynn. A big feature is the super sized modern seats. From zero suites or club boxes to 30 private suites and three large dedicated club lounges that run the length of the field.
    CFL with its larger 20 yard end zones does not lend itself to seating in the end zones. Instead there is a two level premium patio seating in one end zone and the other a premium lounge section.

10. SOUTHEND_TFCRED

Jan 16, 2015
    Club:
    Toronto FC

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The post of mine that you dug up from August was in response to a quote from Bob Young that spoke in glowing terms about features that this place had that not other stadium in the area (including, he said, ACC and Rogers Centre) had.

While I like this stadium I was simply asking (5 months ago) what were these revolutionary fan experience features that Tim Hortons Field had that the other stadiums in the area did not have. No where in the discussion was there a comparison to stadiums around the world.

12. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry bout that. this was more of just an add on to a post that was made yesterday that had a link to a list of several stadiums around the world. I did not mean to quote or mis quote your post. Again apologies

13. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    There's some truth in this post somewhere, well, ok there isn't, it's just bs

14. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    A little due diligence wouldn't be amiss here on the "lack" of stadium upgrades since the 50s and it is Ivor Wynne not Ivory Wynn.

15. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Occupancy permit issued: Hamilton's new stadium nears the finish line
    CBC News Apr 16, 2015

It's a milestone 10 months in the making — at long last, the city has issued an occupancy permit for Tim Horton's Field.

The new stadium has been plagued by delays, including weather and issues with subcontractors. But on Thursday, city inspectors deemed the whole building safe to occupy.

"My staff have conducted a thorough inspection and can confirm that Tim Horton's Field meets all of the safety requirements for occupancy under the Ontario Building Code," said Ed VanderWindt, the city's chief building official.

It's a move that comes during a crunch time for Infrastructure Ontario, which has hired Ontario Sports Solutions to build the $145-million stadium.

The stadium still has to reach the substantial completion stage, which is when the city will take possession. This needs to happen by May 1, when police need to rehearse security plans for the 2015 Pan Am Games July 10 to 27. Hamilton will host the soccer games.

The project's initial target date was June 30, 2014. The delay caused the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to play a nearly their entire season at McMaster University.

It's about time a permit was issued, said Coun. Sam Merulla of Ward 4.

"It's the most delayed reaction to a city development that I can ever recall, so I would say congratulations on that," he said. "I don't know what to say except that it could have been done last year."

Merulla said he looks forward to closing this chapter, and to the city finally taking possession. He wants the stadium story to become a positive one.

"Hopefully now that permit has been issued, we can start afresh and look forward to the future, and look back on this as a learned experience."

The city previously thought that caulking issues would delay the occupancy permit. But that caulking work didn't impact the permit, the city said in a statement.

fuzzx repped this.
  16. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Hamilton’s stadium is “substantially complete”
    Matthew Van Dongen Hamilton Spectator May 8/2015

[​IMG]
    John Rennison/Hamilton Spectator
    Hamilton can finally take over its $145 million stadium next week – and now the race is on to get it event-ready. An independent certifier for Infrastructure Ontario alerted the city Friday evening that the long-delayed construction project has achieved “substantial completion.”

Hamilton can finally take over its $145 million stadium next week – and now the race is on to get it event-ready.

An independent certifier for Infrastructure Ontario alerted the city Friday evening that the long-delayed construction project has achieved "substantial completion."

That means the city finally gets the keys – 10 months later than expected – and beleaguered contractor Ontario Sports Solutions gets $89 million of withheld payments.

"There will still be minor work needed on the stadium, but it will not impact Pan Am / Parapan Am Games readiness or the stadium's ability to shine on the international stage," said IO vice-president John McKendrick in an e-mail. "Sufficient performance security has been withheld from the total payment to Ontario Sports Solutions to ensure any outstanding work is completed within the project's original budget."

An e-mail to councillors Friday said staff will reviews the terms of the notice from the provincial oversight agency and update council on the next steps.

But time is running out to ready the stadium for a planned public open house May 21 – not to mention an international soccer match planned between the women's teams from Canada and England for May 29.

Public works head Gerry Davis earlier warned council it could take weeks to train staff, test-drive stadium equipment and ready the building for public use.

fuzzx repped this.