New Sacramento Stadium Site

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, the same guy who thinks SRFC doesn't have enough money to make it through this season without a buyer?

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I skimmed Warren's and Graham's Reddit AMA from yesterday. Absolutely nothing of interest (to me) but this:

Q: If the Republic is given the 2018 MLS expansion spot, will the Republic play at Hughes Stadium considering that construction cannot commence at the Railyards until 2018?

WS: Our focus is about the awarding of the MLS franchise and that would be a problem that we would enjoy to solve should it arise.

Not exactly a denial that ground-breaking before 2018 is impossible. Anyone here have any insight?

3. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't know where the person posing the question got 2018. I've heard consistently that construction could begin late this year or early 2017.

It's all contingent on when the Railyards is ready

4. calcmandan

calcmandan Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I attended the city environmental impact hearing thingie a month ago where they discussed the current plan. The question was asked regarding construction and, assuming Sacramento is announced as an expansion city during the All-Star game, ground breaking shouldn't follow too far afterwards.

They said October-November for final city council approval. We all know KJ won't be a roadblock for this.

Sent from my plastic brick

5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KJ won't be a road block, and if anything they will want to get it through under his tenure before his term is done.

6. calcmandan

calcmandan Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

Sent from my plastic brick

7. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Personally I would prefer construction to begin prior to KJ leaving office, if for no other reason than my complete and total distrust of Steinberg.

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that you mention it, wasn't he somehow associated in the early Elk Grove effort?

9. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No. That was Fabian Nunez

Steinberg is an SRFC supporter.

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steinberg is a weird guy. He's definitely a "big business pro-establishment" Democrat with some deep connections in city and state government.

30King repped this.
  11. calcmandan

calcmandan Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's his last name?

from my bigger plastic brick

12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steinberg.. as in, Darrel Steinberg... the next mayor of Sacramento?

13. calcmandan

calcmandan Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought so. Was hoping you were talking about someone else.

14. calcmandan

calcmandan Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to ask for his first name... I'm tired

15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Designers Refine Proposed Stadium Plan - CBS Sacramento, 9/8/16

"Designers of the MLS sports complex have made some modifications and plan to move the stadium 40 feet to the north and additionally reduce 10 feet on all sides of the stadium."

It's not clearly stated, but the inference seems to be that this is to alleviate game-day traffic concerns.

"The final phase is expected to be presented on Oct. 20."

QuietType repped this.
  16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hmm... So the footprint is being reduced 10 feet on all sides, or the height? I wonder if moving it north had more to do with noise impact than anything else. There is the existing railroad berm along the south of the site and another berm on the north, so I'm not sure what exactly they're planning on around the stadium now. Are there any new maps or documents of the new plans??

17. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    "nearly 20,000"...???

18. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and so it begins..........

" Republic FC executives say the stadium would likely be used 33 times a year and has room to grow and could be alternatively be used for concerts."

So, homeowers caused you to move your stadium over the concern of the noise of trucks, and you think you are going to host concerts?

Knowing Sacramento City Hall, they will approve concerts with two conditions:

1. they can't exceed the noise of traffic
    2. lights out by 11:00.

19. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nah. Council wants the stadium. This is paper gamesmanship. Move the stadium north 40 ft., adjust the roads closer to stadium (which makes property between road and affected neighborhood bigger), which allows more development between stadium and neighborhood. Developer makes a bit more money (because some of the open space around the stadium is now developable), and neighborhood is happy with the token effort to address their concerns.

20. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This hasn't changed. Initial stadium build will be for +/- 20K, with capacity expandable to 25K

Personally, I wish they were starting with 25K with a stadium design expandable to 30+, but was told that capacity is restricted with the steep rake they want to use. If you added a third or upper level, it would be very high, and looking straight down. Going to 30K+ requires a shallower rake, which makes stadium wider, and places fans farther from the field. This is why NFL stadium lower bowls are so shallow; need to spread the foot print to allow for multiple seating levels, and decent viewing angles.

QuietType repped this.
  21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the plan all along for it to be a multi-use venue. However, concerts can exceed the noise of a soccer game, so that's probably a touchier subject. I expect an outdoor concert could be heard far away, even downtown. Moving the stadium 40 feet won't really accomplish anything in the grand scheme of things.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they're going to be able to develop anything else next to the stadium, that space is so confined and has the existing railroad there I don't think they'll be able to squeeze anything. Maybe a parking structure or a fast food joint, but it's not the ideal location for a business.

23. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From the plans I saw, Railyards Blvd is going to cross over 7th st, and be the southern boundary of the stadium property. It will curve up past the stadium and tie into North B St and 12th St.

Between Railyards Blvd and the RR tracks, is developable commercial land.

24. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Re noise concerns... let's remember that some folks raised a noise concern about Avaya Stadium in San Jose, which is sandwiched between SJC airport and the SP railroad, and is roughly three blocks away from the Nimitz Freeway.

The prospect of "noise concerns" is just another excuse for certain parties to try and enter a project at the late stages of approval and collect their vig.

bobby_guzman and fortunesfool223 repped this.
  25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see now - so there's not really anything directly south of the stadium site other than the road, there's a big triangle plot that tapers off between the road and railroad. I think the shift of the stadium 40 feet north means they plan on taking out that berm, it looks right up against it in the plan drawings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (You have to imagine the site drawing rotated 90 degrees clockwise)

Again, there's not much room to cram something south of the stadium.