New Sacramento Stadium Site

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Aug 3, 2013.

1. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For some reason, I'm falling in love with the idea of a SS stadium at Cal Expo. Plenty of space, and the stadium could be a catalyst for a much needed renovation of the fairgrounds. Plus, you could incorporate a pro-style soccer/baseball complex for year-round tournaments. All this could fit on just the dirt parking lot on the west side adjacent to the freeway.

If the Cal Expo board would drop the horse racing, the land they would have available is amazing. They could truly develop a world class exposition/ sports/ entertainment complex.

2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put it at Cal Expo, you might as well put it in Natomas, the way I see it. You'd be committing the same sins as have been criticized here for other suburban locations like Elk Grove. Lack of mass transit, lack of easy access by foot/bike, proximity to the urban core.. You'd be forcing everyone to drive there, on what is already bad roadways on Business 80 and the main avenues around the mall...

It's downtown/railyards/West Sac riverfront or bust, IMO.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seems to me the unfinished baseball stadium site just north of the arena would be preferable to Cal Expo. As I see it, you could do a lot worse than Natomas, and you could also do a whole lot better.

Downtown/Railyards/West Sac > Natomas > Cal Expo > ... > ... > Elk Grove

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cal Expo is at least closer to the grid, and more central to the region's population.. 5 miles from downtown opposed to 3 miles. I'd prefer Cal Expo to Natomas, otherwise agree with your ranking!

5. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't see any other location downtown besides the railyards. The docks area (Towe museum)? Don't see that happening.

If they are able to stick it in the Railyards right next to the historic railyards buildings, that would be a great combination. They plan to develop those buildings into something similar to Old Sac (minus all the t-shift shops).

West Sac, next to Raley field, is probably the best with regards to Owner controlled parking ($$)

With the development potential of Cal Expo, I think it would be a very decent site. The development potential is what may very well finance the construction (ala the Kings arena). This is why I think it has a great shot. Cal Expo is currently motivated to develop their land to renovate the fairgrounds, too. A stadium, along with a Roseville Fountains type retail center adjacent, along with a soccer/ baseball complex and a renovated fairgrounds make for a very walkable-centric location. The Cal Expo site could fit all of this. Huge amount of land so underutilized. You could also incorporate better access to the Parkway. Plus, people actually walk around the Arden mall area.

Natomas??? They could develop the site similar to what I just described for Cal Expo. There is plenty of room, but the location is the worst, IMO.

My vote?
    1- Railyards
    2- Raley field
    3- Cal Expo

Cal Expo may have an inside track if the Cal Expo officials jumps on board

6. bloodhoundmuse

May 18, 2008
    Sactown & ND
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Cal Expo were adjacent to Light Rail, then it would be an acceptable site. However, it's not, and I don't see county planners investing in extending it out there in the near future. Hence, a stadium there would be a logistic nightmare, given that traffic backs up on the Cap City Freeway on weekend afternoons w/o events at Cal Expo.

Put it at the Railyards, adjacent to Raley Field, or possibly work with Sac St and see if they'd be willing to part with their running track in exchange for a new stadium. The stadium size would be ideal for D1 FCS football (Portland State shares Jeld Wen with the Timbers).

QuietType repped this.
  7. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry dude, but Sac state would be worse, location-wise than Cal Expo. Light rail is not a deal breaker. The only location that is condusive to high volume vehicle traffic is Natomas. Raley Field is bad, but better. The railyards will suck for auto traffic.

I love the emphasis on public transportation (whatever gets us a stadium), but honestly, most people are going to drive. And our traffic doesn't hold a candle to trying to get to AT & T park. That's real traffic, and they make it work. I won't rule out any location because of it; traffic problems around a given location are overblown, IMO.

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could schedule be worked out to avoid home games on the same day as River Cats? If not, parking could be a problem if stadium is next to Raley Field.

9. bloodhoundmuse

May 18, 2008
    Sactown & ND
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Natomas wouldn't be a bad option either. RT is planning on extending light rail out there, and the current site of Sleep Train Arena would be vacant by the time MLS could seriously consider Sacramento in 2016. But I still think city leaders and the team's owners are going to prioritize a downtown site over anywhere else.

10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have a strong feeling that we will start hearing a lot of stadium chatter from both Warren Smith and the City of Sacto once the Kings arena has broken ground and is a done deal.

11. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Light rail isn't a deal breaker but you need to allow people to have options other than driving. Im a galaxy season ticket holder. Back in the early 2000's when the stadium was put in carson the idea worked out well because nobody in LA cared for getting to the stadium other than by car. Fast forward to now and theres complaints about the location and the stadium not having options. The younger generations of fans are less car dependant and move around by bike or public transportation. Paying 5 to 20 dollars for parking adds up. those 5 to 20 could go to consessions or for someone walking up to the game.
    I had the chance to go to portland two years ago and saw how people got to the stadium not only did they drive but there was literally a light rail station accross the street, What we did was park somewhere else downtown and jump on the train to get to the stadium. I tell you it was impressive they had tons of foot traffic. I think it shows in the attendance they get up there. It is very easy to get to the stadium.

Options... It is no coincidence every time i jump on the big soccer into stadium threads that public transportation is a big must among people who post. the younger generation are more open to the idea of it. and lets face it they are the future for our clubs. I think its smart planning for the future if you can get the stadium as close as possible to a light rail station.

just my two cents

Sporting KC is an exception i imagine driving is your only option but i think they make for it with such an awesome stadium. and fantastic ownership and gameday experience. i imagine their pricing isnt bad either.

QuietType repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the status of the Cal Expo Stadium? They're not exactly long on time at this point.

13. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Talked to a sales rep last week. His words were that "the Cal Expo site is 99%. They were down to negotiating ancillary items, like number of beer brands".

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cal Expo site is as suburban as it gets. However, the location is really centrally located for the region.

OTOH, the railyards is right next to downtown and could help spur all sorts of development there. Even cooler is if Sac Republic ever gets up to MLS, the Capitol Corridor would connect both teams. Could be a tremendous rivalry.

15. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't go so far as calling Cal Expo that. Elk Grove on the other hand, IS as suburban as you get.

I totally agree, that the Railyards are the #1 choice location (#2 is next to Raley Field), but I have Cal Expo as the #3 spot. Cal Expo is closer to the downtown core than most current MLS stadiums, including the new Earthquakes stadium.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A spot next to Raley Field would be terrific. Plans are in the work for a street car connecting West Sac to Downtown. Hell, you can even walk across the bridge.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Railyards
    2. Raley Field
    3. Cal Expo
    347. Elk Grove

QuietType, Revolt, 30King and 1 other person repped this.
  18. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Disagree.

I think of 347 better locations than Elk Grove

Revolt repped this.
  19. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Speaking of Elk Grove, what ever happened to that whole stadium plan they were working on? I think it's a horrible idea but I haven't heard anything recently.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Haven't heard a peep either. I suspect that's pretty telling. Sacramento Republic FC has completely overshadowed them.

21. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Sac Bee article, the preferred site for the stadium is around here:
    upload_2014-9-3_7-38-44.png

22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Move your circle to the left. AFAIK, the sites are one of the four corners of 7th and North B. The two north side corners are the Richards Blvd/ River District locations.

23. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? The article says, "Both sites are in the northeast area of the railyard, in the vicinity of the eastern boundary at Seventh Street..."

24. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it's just the wording. The future light rail stop is on the east side of 7th, just south of North B. I heard the site could be next to the light rail, or across the street in the west side.

This is subject to change, though, depending on how they modify their development plans and secondary street grids.

25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, exactly where I thought they would and should put it. Best available location in the region, short of demolishing entire city blocks downtown.