new pop-up ad on BS

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by delo_pata, Aug 15, 2002.

1. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    OK guys, I understand the need for pop-ups. But an NFL Coupon???!?!? That's like selling statues of the virgin Mary at the synagogue.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    doesn't this belong in suggestions and announcements?

what did it say?

i haven't seen that one yet

3. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Probably, but I wasn't sure where. I was really just having a little fun. Nevertheless, I can't imagine the coupon would get a whole lot of interest here.

4. JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest Member

Mar 3, 1999
    I think you might be surprised. There's a much better chance of response here than on, say, a financial site or a travel site. Sports fans tend to be fans of more than one sport more frequently than non-sports fans are fans of a single sport.

5. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    True enough. I worked as a data analysis consultant to some fairly large marketing and ad folks a few years ago and know that there is crossover. If I recall some of the data I had seen, however, the crossover among soccer folks was considerably smaller than among fans of other sports. Of course, if the NFL wants to throw money at real football fans, more power to us. Just thought it was pretty funny.

Where's the MLS Coupon? Which reminds me, while I'm b*tching, why does espn.com not have a link to mlsnet.com at the top of the page?

6. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy into the premium BS package and you won't see the pop ups...

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    ESPN.com developed all the sites you see on that top bar. Which is why there is no link to NFL.com there either. I'm kinda surprised there is no link to soccernet.com though, given how loudly ESPN was trumpeting the purchase a few years ago.

Sachin

8. oscarm

oscarm Member

Oct 31, 2000
    Fairfax, Va
    Or download mozilla.org and turn unrequested windows off in the preferences. Bigsoccer still feeds you banner ads, remember to click on those!