NEW PaeTec Park design

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by MD_05, Mar 13, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i guess there was a press conference today and the Rhinos release this redesigned picture of their proposed stadium. 13,000 permanant lower bowl seats and an additional 4,500 bleacher seats.
    http://www.rhinossoccer.com
    [​IMG]

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty cool design. I'd like it better if they dressed up the bleacher sections a little more - the rectabukar shape and open back seem a little cheap-looking, and it would be nice if they added a symmetrical roof on the parking lot side to match the roof opposite.

Still that's a sweet SSS.

I bet MLS wouldn't mind locating a team in there if they can get the thing built and get the $$$ worked out for an expansion franchise.

:)

4. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty cool design. I'd like it better if they dressed up the bleacher sections a little more - the rectangular shape with square corners and the exposed backs seem a little cheap-looking, and it would be nice if they added another roof section on the parking lot side to match the roof opposite (over the pressbox).

Still that's a sweet SSS.

I bet MLS wouldn't mind locating a team in there if they can get the thing built and get the $$$ worked out for an expansion franchise.

:)

5. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    man that is one huge picture. anyone know how to scale it down?
    i think this will secure the an expansion slot in 2005, not because they are meeting all of MLS's standards (I think they said they wanted a minimun of 18,000 seats) but because this will look like the best scenario at that time.

6. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Now if they got rid of that cheesey logo.

In all seriousness, it seems from that design that it would be very very easy to add permanent seating in the future...no???

7. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    yeah from reading some of their message board, it seems like the plan is to make it a 3 phase project.
    this picture is the first phase, who knows whats coming next. maybe a roof?

8. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i just saw this on the Rhinos' message board:
    Frank DuRoss, the rhinos' owner(i think) said:
    By putting 13,000 seats below ground we saved millions of
    $$$.
    that's very interesting, a good way for some of the proposed stadiums to cut the budget
    a little. i know it probably would't be much, but he did say millions.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I just hope whoever's kid drew this got an "A" in art class.

Sachin

10. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    The 4,500 bleacher seats appear as the upper sections on 2 sides of the stadium.

These drawings are not of the same quality as the original drawings which included a virtual tour. The difference is they didn't have to "sell" this version. The stadium is a done deal. Since the cost of the stadium was cut by $20-25 million, i guess they cut some corners.

11. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i know that drawing is not showing much of the details of the stadium, but
    i wonder if the video replay board was left out of this drawing because it was
    one of the cuts they had to make to fit their budget, or it was just simply not included in the drawing.

12. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    My guess is that the big Rhinos sign is also part of the scoreboard.

Does anyone have the pictures of the original stadium??? Just for comparisons sake.

Also, Crew stadium cost a little over 22 million dollars no??? Then why is that stadium so much larger and complete? Plus the owner of the Rhinos said they saved millions by putting the stadium underground.

Is that because of greater ameneties? Honestly, this is a big step forward for the Rochester franchise. As I said before though, change that cheesey logo.

13. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i believe Crew Stadium did that as well, and that saved them money too.

14. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    from the article-
    =========================
    (March 13, 2003) — The Rochester Rhinos soccer team unveiled new designs Thursday for a roughly $25 million soccer stadium, announcing that construction is on schedule and the facility is expected to open for the 2004 season....

Construction is scheduled to begin this spring on the stadium
    ==================

so hopefully shovel meets dirt soon.

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's still a virtual reality tour of PaeTec Park as orginally planned at the Rhinos' website. I haven't come across any pictures, though.

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/newstadium.asp

16. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0314story6_news.shtml

As far as the 17500 capacity meeting MLS's guidelines for expansion, the Rhinos delayed release of these drawings to talk to MLS about the capacity. And word is that MLS is more than happy with the numbers.

Plus, I'm guessing that if Rochester gets an MLS franchise there will have to be some guarantees for when Phases 2 and 3 will be completed. I believe that they plan to have anywhere between 22,500 and even up to 30,000 seats when Phase 3 is complete depending on the need, costs, and available funds.

I just want to know if we can fast forward to 2004?

I know I'll want a couple of the $65 season tickets for the first season at PTP.

17. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    It may have something to do with the fact that Crew Stadium has 20,000+ bleacher type seats, while Pae Tec Park will have 13,000 individual seats with backs and cupholders. Also, the suites at Crew stadium are open, while Pae Tec will have pretty classy enclosed suites much like Frontier Field.

19. Scoschee

Scoschee New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    SoCal
    PTP will be more like Victoria Street than Crew Stadium. Crew Stadium is nothing but an Erector set thrown up around a grass field. Victoria Street is a brick and mortar building that isn't going anywhere and PTP will be similar.

20. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Making absurd comments about things that you (obviously) know nothing about, seriously diminishes the effectiveness of your post.

21. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    I havn't been to crew stadium, but if you want an erector set... Blackbaud in Charleston. Deffinitley a grass field (actually I think the field is the same field that was there before they dug to poor cement foundations for the steel bleachers. It was crap. I can only pray that PaeTec is 1000 times better.

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else find this to be a really, really dumb statement?

23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if building on the cheap helps get stadiums up, then so be it; bench seating like CCS and Blackbaud (I've been to both places) isn't comfy but ultimately who cares, you're only there for 90 minutes and you shouldn't be sitting anyway. The luxury of the place doesn't make the stadium; just compare Foxboro with Gillette.

I for one have thought for a long time that MLS was setting it's standards on stadiums too high, and that stadium builders listen to fans whinging about roofs and comfy seats too much. Those things are nice, dont get me wrong, but if they add multi millions to a project (as with Home Depot Center) and make it more difficult to get the place built, then IMO you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Just build.

24. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Just build it...

Yeah, I agree, but once the standard has been set. it's kinda hard to tell the next burg that they don't rate such a fancy stadium. And from the pictures I've seen, Victoria Street has pretty much nailed one on the wall for everyone else to try to beat. Gosh,it's gonna be nice! (You lucky LA dogs.)Denver,where all 3 major facilities (Ivesco for the Broncs, Coors for the Rockies, and Pepsi Center for the Avalanche/Nugs) are brand new, it would be a tough sell to try to throw together a couple of state fair grandstands around a patch of sod.

25. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    "No decision yet on the type of field."

This statement scares me. Somebody please tell me that PTP will have a natural grass field.