New Orleans And Major League Soccer?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Zimbabwe_National, Apr 20, 2007.

1. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it from someone who is deeply involved in the sport in this city. MLS or NASL wouldn't work in NOLA, not just out of the blue. USL Pro would be a better option as it is FAR cheaper and would allow for some time to gain interest.

DynamoEAR, San Diego Socker and skinut repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just love this person. The absolute epitome of the internet commentor.

3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would USL Pro work in NOLA and NASL fail?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like NOLA is saying start smaller with a smaller budget and build from there, rather than jump into the higher-budget NASL. As I read it, anyway.

There's no guarantee any league or level would just "work" in a given market, though so many people say, "Oh, (insert market here) would be a great market for (whatever league)" based on some inchoate metric they just made up.

NOLA and Chesco United repped this.
  5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    11/20/13: BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
    2/5/14: BZZZZZZZZZ.........(sort of)
    4/16/14: BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
    8/17/16: BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Miami is not looking very good but still another complete one before #1 New Orleans.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gdamn. That's just cold, man. Not cool.

7. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Orleans is a small market. Very small. Besides Green Bay, it is among the smallest cities to have a pro sports franchise, and it and Buffalo are aberrations in having two teams each. Several larger areas have no pro franchises.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Tishoudy should be ridiculed until the end of time for their hubris.

9. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Orleans is not a "very small market." It lacks a number of Fortune 500 companies and the city felt the crunch of the cutbacks of the oil and gas industry in the 80s. However, it has re-market itself as a convention destination only tempted by the Hurricane season. New Orleans issues have less to do with economics and more to do with other issues.

Because of the enormous support the New Orleans Saints received, the city gets a bad reputation of being only a one team city. New Orleans in the past supported the New Orleans Jazz when they were in New Orleans and they also support the Pelicans.
    New Orleans is not a "very small market." It lacks a number of Fortune 500 companies and the city felt the crunch of the cutbacks of the oil and gas industry in the 80s. However, it has re-market itself as a convention destination only tempted by the Hurricane season. New Orleans issues have less to do with economics and more to do with other issues.

Because of the enormous support the New Orleans Saints received, the city gets a bad reputation of being only a one team city. New Orleans in the past supported the New Orleans Jazz when they were in New Orleans and they also support the Pelicans.

When it comes to soccer, New Orleans is far richer grounds than people give it credit for. In the past, New Orleans have had some teams, Gamblers and Storm. However, certain policy decisions did more to alienate the fan base that grow up. The city currently have the "Jesters" who are playing a low division and are flying under the radar. It is a shame. The quality of play of the soccer league is far better than people think. Moreover, the community is large, but it is hopelessly disparate.

In a nutshell, the best time for the city to push for a MLS team was when the New Orleans torm were playing. It is unfortunately, that team did more to damage that chance to the point now that I doubt they will ever get one.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bringing back some memories Pike.

The good thing is the Storm ended a painful death almost 20 years ago, so those wounds have probably healed, Couhig is no longer involved, and the Jesters are doing good work. But, USL or NASL is probably the next logical step, if there is logic involved with pro soccer in the US.

11. Pike

Pike Member

United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time Flies Indeed!
    I kind of saw the Storm as a step forward from the Gamblers and we screwed the pooch with the Jesters, IMHO, a big step back. I would agree, MLS is definitely out of its reach for now. Getting a USL team would be a big step forward.

Are you back in New Orleans? [too lazy to look at your profile on other sites...LOL]

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Storm's issue was ownership.
    Jesters - doing better each year, they have potential for USL or NISL (Peter Wilt's new league).
    NOLA - never moving back. I like to go home once a year. Eat, eat, eat some more.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never understood why they jumped in. Or why they bailed with like two or three weeks to go before the 2000 (?) season, just like that.

Amateur clubs moving to the pro ranks have never been able to succeed. They admit they get about 800 people a game (they haven't given actual figures, and I've asked). The economics are such that even in D3, they'd have to do a whole lot better than that to not lose scads of money.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because their ownership was crazy. We had to play our US Open Cup game at the baseball field because it had to be on grass. So a deal was worked out. We worked out butts off, sold 7,000 tickets on a rainy, rainy tuesday night. I think that was the record till the next year at the same location with a double header.

Ownership saw $$$$$$$ from the concessions, more dates at the stadium... etc. But they got rid of the soccer staff after 3 games and lost touch with the soccer community. Still drew pretty well, but I knew it wouldn't last. Should not have taken the microphone out of my hand :)

Well, the industry is changing, so what has happened in the past does not dictate the future. With proper management, good owners, and a facility (Pan American may work), they could take a shot. No guarantee of success, but the city has potential. Sadly, I won't go back- too dang hot for me.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Math is still math.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, but the math that counts most is the MILLIONS in the bank. If the owner has the money, then all things are possible :)

Curious how Nashville makes the jump, should be pretty successful.

17. Pike

Pike Member

United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember two lawyer guys who were owners. I do not recall if they were part or majority owners. They were "casual" referees. They were also real dips. I think they just like the idea of being "owners" without any conception that the game still needed to be marketed and promoted.

Pan- American would make for an more intimate setting. The capacity is low, but it will look active and full. I remember going to Gamblers games and the place felt packed. It was a nice atmosphere. The Storm at the baseball field was less so.

I would agree that money would be helpful. I doubt the big players in New Orleans would throw their money in for a USL team and I doubt MLS would grant a franchise until we have a USL team. The Storm really set us back for a team.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Stuart... played Coed, kind of a dirty player, jumped on my foot and broke my toe.
    The other guy had a daughter who played at NOSA. Both were nice guys, but let Couhig make the decisions.

Of course promising to give the soccer guys a year to prove ourselves, and then firing all 3 of us after the 3 game was probably a bit shortsighted.

Jesters have some money behind them, I can't go into details, but I've heard the finances are there for NASL.

oh what could have been...

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville has moved from its fan-ownership model, right? The new group really just bought the IP, it's not like there were a lot of assets to buy. That's not your traditional "jump."

And you can have millions in the bank. No one likes to lose it all. And unless income eventually approaches expense, you are losing money. The old anecdote about Lamar Hunt is rarely applicable anymore, especially in lower-level soccer.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Gamblers.. Storm.. Lol.. This all sounds and is very antiquated.

Best show in the city currently resides in Liga Islano.. Aka Motagua. Jesters have a lot of problems to sort out before it gets any sort of hopes up.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Nashville was ever fan ownership, but they did well enough to attract investors, who did well enough to attract bigger investors. Now we wait and see what happens next.

As for New Orleans, their next step needs to be USL Pro of some sort or Peter's new league.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Liga Islano has always been a great league. Loved seeing pros coming from Honduras to play a few games back in the 90's. I do remember when the Islano All Stars played the Storm and lost 6-1 back in 1998. A few years earlier they tied the Gamblers 1-1, and lost 3-1, if I remember correctly.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    New Orleans All Star Team just beat Motagua of Honduras last week in penalties and saw the Jesters off by 3 goals a couple months ago.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which team is Celtic ?
    :)

Jesters are amateurs, Storm/Gamblers were pro's.
    Beating Motagua is pretty impressive.