New Nottingham Forest Fan

Discussion in 'Championship Clubs' started by baseballbert, Jan 3, 2015.

1. baseballbert

baseballbert Member

Jun 18, 2014
    I started following NFFC this season and I'm wondering a few things. I'm also using them on PES 2015 to get more on board with the team.

I'm also an SF Giants fan (for over 30 years!) so I'm a bit spoiled as of late in terms of following successful teams.

Reason I list that is because I suffered with them for a looooooooong time until 2010 and the first WS title (I blame Bonds holding the club back for it taking that long). The point being I can stick out rough seasons with my teams.

Here are my questions:

1) Is Forest's head coach that bad? Has he lost the locker room?

2) Do they have good home growns "down on the farm" in the pipeline?

3) Are they sellers or buyers during the transfer window?

4) Where is the best place to listen to games online?

Much thanks to anyone who takes the time out of their day to respond!

2. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #2 Myshoe, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    I'm (clearly) not a Forest fan but as a Brit with a lot more exposure I'll give your questions a go..

1> He's not really done anything of note at club level, much of his managerial career has been as England U21 manager where it's obviously not as intensive or competitive as being a proper club manager in the Championship. He never won anything with them as far as I know but then I don't think Mourinho would either.

3> Buyers because they're currently transfer embargoed for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations (spending too much) so this current transfer window will probably be unusually quiet.

4> Probably their own website on their "Player" but it's a subscription service. Even as an Englishman I'd find it difficult to listen to them because as a Yorkshireman if I for example try to listen BBC Radio Nottingham online I just get "this is not available in your region".

You're best off registering on/viewing dedicated fan forums like www.forestforum.co.uk and www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum if you want to learn more and get a closer feel for them.

3. baseballbert

baseballbert Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks for your reply, appreciate you taking the time to chime in!

Got a sub to the Forest Player, listened today. Ughhh, not so good. Looks like I'm going to get a trial by fire with this team.

Signed up on LTLF waiting on the admins to flip the switch on my account.

4. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. baseballbert

baseballbert Member

Jun 18, 2014
    2 for your last 19 is a tough pill to swallow. Not too many head coaches survive a run like that.

6. Benando_NFFC

Benando_NFFC Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here's my steer on your questions:

1.) Pearce is a huge club legend and us fans stuck by him right until the bitter end. We started the season like a rocket and was top by August and unbeaten going into October. Unfortunately, the Derby game in September changed our season. Key injuries to Captain Cohen, Reid and Hobbs saw us depleted - Cohen and Reid didn't play again for the rest of the season.

Pearce changed his tactics in the following game vs Fulham when we were 2-0 up for no reason, and before long we were 3-2 down. Fortunately, we won it 5-3 but we were left saying after the match I hope he doesn't switch to them tactics again.

Unfortunately he did, and when the first defeat came to Cardiff in Ocotber, there was no coming back. Mini revivals came in the form of wins against Wolves and Norwich but to no avail.

We were hit with numerous things to spark such an abysmal run of 2 wins in 19 games. Poor tactics by Pearce, shocking individual errors by players, poor referees and just plain bad luck.

When we beat Derby in such dramatic fashion in January - by far the greatest game I've ever been to in my 16 years as a Forest supporter - every one of us prayed this was the turnaround. He felt that win with us fans and we hoped that surely such a win would turn us around.

Sadly not and by the time we played Fulham in the next match we were 3-0 down after 30 minutes.

A home defeat to Millwall that Saturday was the end of Pearce. For me it was gutting to see such a man who symbolised as a player what this club is all about depart in such a way but had we not done it, I honestly think we'd have been relegated.

Freedman has since come in, and after an initial decent start has tailed off badly - ending the season with no win in 9, 4 straight home defeats and a side that looks generally uninterested. I honestly don't think he'll be here by Christmas as he is almost Pearce 2.

2.) We've taken pride in our academy since the turn of this century. Over Ten years ago, we produced a batch of players who got into the PL and represented their countries - Andy Reid, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, David Prutton, Wes Morgan and . Unfortunately due to our financial situation, we had to sell them to stay afloat and we haven't been in PL since my first season as a Forest supporter (98/99).

Since then, we had a couple come through - our biggest graduates have probably been Karl Darlow, Jamaal Lascelles and Lewis Mcgugan. Darlow and Lascelles as of this summer are now fully fledged Newcastle players.

Now however, the academy looks like it's really onto something again. Ben Osborn broke into the team in 13/14 and solidified his place in the team and Forest folklore with that goal at Derby. We've also had Oliver Burke, Jorge Grant and Tyler Walker make their appearances - we are super excited about Tyler as his dad came through our academy and established himself for us in the 80s as a legend.

Rumour has it, there is more to come which is great news!

3.) since the Al Hasawis came in during 2012, we have primarily been spenders - to the point we've outspent our income and club losses and been hit with an FFP embargo.

In some respects, I see the embargo as a blessing as we have signed far too many players during transfer windows which has unsettled the squad and bought in a lot of poor signings, usually injury prone and on big wages.

This summer we've seen some big wages depart, and shrewdly talked around some talented championship players to join us for wages within our embargo - despite other clubs offering more.

The embargo will last until summer 2016 we suspect.

4. forest player is the best place for overseas supporters. Highlights are also uploaded onto YouTube by the club YouTube account the day after games.

Out of interest, what attracted you to support us last season?

Myshoe repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 msilverstein47, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/socc...ham-forest-eyeing-exhibition-in-tampa/2326068

English soccer team Nottingham Forest eyeing exhibition in Tampa
    Friday, June 2, 2017 11:41
    Nottingham Forest, which plays in England's second-tier Championship soccer league, looks set to travel to Tampa Bay in early July, hoping to spend seven to 10 days in the area and play a friendly against Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa.