new Memphis TN NPSL team

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by SoccerPrime, Aug 7, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memphis Rogues, seem to be involved with the Texas-NPSL teams.

Interesting club-fan ownership plan.

http://www.gorogues.com

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Prime...unless I'm missing something (which is always possible), no details about any fan ownership was posted to the site...

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sorry, I meant to include this link to the Memphis Tigers NCAA website, where I first read about this team.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=446120

In it they state the Financials of the club, but when you go to the team website, it doesn't say that. Maybe its bunk. I'll re-post it so you can see it:

RE: Memphis Rogues NPSL?
    5. Club Finances
    We all need to do our part to make this club a success. Financial responsibility is important for all of us. The following is the new standards to be a part of this club.
    a. All players will sell a minimum of ten game tickets a month and turn in a minimum of $100 by the first of each month. Players have to option of selling twenty or more and keeping 50%.
    b. You are responsible for providing the following personal items; water bottle with your name on it, both indoor and outdoor shoes. If you are in need of certain items and can not afford to buy them, sell more match tickets to earn the money.
    c. Players will be required to pay $125 deposit for the uniform kit. The kit includes two complete uniforms, warm-ups, and team bag. All items are numbered. The team will issue the warm-ups and team bag to each player. The uniform will stay in the possession of the team.
    d. The club will participate in two levels of play. The NPSL and Houston Football Association. Players participating in HFA games will be required to pay a share of the referee fee at each game, this is generally $5 per player.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    So another former NASL franchise making a comeback

Will they be using the same colours?

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    According to their website, these guys expect to have 1,500 fans per game

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not, maybe TN is a treasure trove for soccer. Look at Chattanooga.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Well, I wish them nothing but good luck, but I have my doubts. Lots of USL2 and PDL and NPSL clubs also have good intentions but unfortunately don't see much fans buying game tickets

Plus, the original Memphis Rogues were nothing special, only lasted for 3 seasons and disappeared already 30 years ago

But like I said before, I wish the new Rogues nothing but good luck

8. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    The original Rogues WERE something very, very special! They changed their name under Ave Fogelman from Memphis Rogues to Memphis' Rogues, only to move the next year. Some really wonderful memories at the Liberty Bowl.

Len repped this.
  9. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. The Memphis Express tried in 2002 but failed after four years in the PDL. The Nashville Metros are still around after twenty years but a mere shell of their former selves. I don't know what the secret is down in Chattanooga, but we'll have to see what kind of longevity they have.

10. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Community buy-in. It's always about getting the locals onside and then it all takes care of itself from there.

11. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rogues are in the process of selecting a local coach/partner to operate the team. The model is simple, and the team will not be under the burden of needing a large fan support to sustain itself.

12. Potomac02

Potomac02 Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice scarf...

Memphis Rogues will not be playing in the NPSL. The goal is to begin play in the new Southern Premier Soccer League for the 2011-2012 natural season.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link to the Southern Premier league?

I haven't heard of it.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Wiki, just go ahead and update it. ;)

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    According to their (gorogues.com) website they intend to be part of the NPSL,

but maybe they will participate in 2 leagues, summer 2011 in the NPSL and afterwards fall - winter - spring in the Southern Premier League

19. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would like to get everything into place for the Rogues to enter the SPSL, as a provisional team, for the spring-summer season. This would give the team a few matches as well as a good idea of what to expect for thier first full season in 2011-2012.

I have to believe that this is the best approach to a successful club.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is the SPSL the winter league for the NPSL?

21. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Southern Premier Soccer League was created because the NPSL Winter League was put on hold. The minimum number of teams weren't there.

The three teams from the NPSL that made up the 2010-11 NPSL Winter League (South Central Division) left and made up the SPSL Winter Division with three addition teams (none of which were affiliate with NPSL).

So yes...the SPSL will be the winter league for the NPSL.

Just because it's Wiki doesn't mean it won't be seen then deleted. Attach proof next time.

22. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that is not correct. The SPSL is going to do our own thing, This includes a Apr-Jul season in 2011 with additional teams. We are going to a full 40 match schedule starting in October 2011 and running to the following summer 2012.

23. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things quickly changed since I posted my response. My fault.

I think it will go further than July. Maybe till August. Memphis Rogues won't join until the 2011-12 Winter Season. I believe the story is going to be the same with Houston Santos SC. The only possible additional teams is friendlies with teams within the league and teams outside the league.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mad Hattah repped this.
  25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://midfieldpress.com/2016/12/28...up-brings-the-beautiful-game-back-to-memphis/

Doug Kranz and his partner decided to change that by founding Memphis City FC and joining Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville in the NPSL’s Southeast Conference for the 2016 season. On the field, Memphis finished second in the division behind only Chattanooga. They defeated the New Orleans Jesters playoff round, only to fall to their cross state rivals in Chattanooga in the Southeast Conference final. Given that it was the club’s first season, a second place finish against a well-established Chattanooga as well as steadily rising attendance has to be considered a great success.
    Memphis City’s support is anchored by Rogue Squadron, a supporters group whose name recalls the North American Soccer League’s Memphis Rogues, who played in 1978, 1979 and 1980. While the supporters group echoes the past, the founders of Memphis City decided to carve out their own identity rather than re-use the NASL name. Memphis City’s crest is in part inspired by New York City FC, with the pyramids on the logo being a tribute to the city of Memphis in Egypt. The red maroon-and-orange color scheme is rare in American soccer, adding to Memphis City’s identity.
    Memphis City will return to the NPSL’s Southeast Conference in 2017, while moving its home from the Mike Rose Soccer Complex to the more accessible Christian Brothers High School Stadium. Midfield Press was able to speak with Doug Kranz, co-founder and President of Memphis City FC to discuss the club’s past, present and future.