New member of ESPN Thursday night broadcast booth

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tkgunn, Apr 17, 2007.

1. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Soccer Insider is reporting that Tommy Smyth will be joining Stone and Waldo in the booth. I'm sure some people dislike him but I think he does a fantastic job during the Champions League broadcast's and used to be very good for the Metrostars on MSG.

2. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Now...let me preface this - I think that Waldo and O'Brien, Stoner and Foudy are the best team we have in the US. O'Brien isn't just doing this for more money - I think he really believes in it and wants it to grow.

However, man, what would it sound like to have Derrick Rae call an MLS game - and a good one at that.

4. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask any Revs fan. And didn't he do Metros games for awhile too? Of course, that was back when he was temporarily American.

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he indeed does replace DOB then this will be best news ever. This shows that ESPN is not gonna stand for ************ broadcasting and that they want to present soccer better. Please let DOB leave Tommy Smyth knows his stuff and he is a very good commentator unlike swing and a miss O'Brien.

6. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Tommy Smyth is a color guy, I really hope he doesn't do PBP.

7. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't Tommy been hyper critical of MLS and its players (looking down on them as inferior)?

I like his fervor, but if he's joining the bandwagon after the tide has turned in MLS' favor, I have mixed feelings.

Help me out, people. Maybe I'm confusing too many of his comments with Paul Gardner, who definitely spits on MLS.

I just haven't seen enough of Tommy lately to be sure which way he leans.

8. Lyrikhan

Lyrikhan Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can Tommy do PBP?....I'm all for losing DOB but he was getting a little better i guess so i'm suprised if he's replacing him

9. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Shut up.

10. mdale10

mdale10 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt tommy a color commentater, ive never heard him do play by play but i like tommy and DOB just sucks. If this is true... then awesome job ESPN!

11. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    No--it seems pretty obvious to me that DOB stays, with Waldo and Smyth as color, JUST LIKE WALDO AND ARENA for nats games.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dave O'Brien - play by play
    Rob Stone - play by play
    Derek Rae - play by play
    -----
    Allen Hopkins - play by play and color commentary
    -----
    Eric Wynaldia - color commentator
    Julie Foudy - color commentator
    -----
    Tommy Smyth - blind ignorant fool with a frightenly heavy accent for someone who's been in the United States as long as he has.

13. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I really like Tommy's energy, it's just the fact that he's blind as a bat that troubles me a bit.

14. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy was the voice of the Metros from 1996 until early 2000's, so he can do play-by-play. But, according to Goff (I haven't found this press release), Stone will do play-by-play, While Waldo and Smyth will both do color commentary.

15. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Looks like Andy just pipped me out.

I agree with everything he said.

16. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Oh sh*t DOB posts on BS. You suck DOB

17. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006

If you don't like him, that's fine, but do you really have to say "DOB sucks" and F*** DOB"? You sound like a 12 year old who just learned those words, and feel like you need to use them all the time. Grow up.

18. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.
    BTW, get rid of Hopkins and hire MITTS!!!:D

19. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raise your hands if you're surprised that ESPN's big commentary improvement is to compound the problem with YET ANOTHER VOICE.....

anyone....?

<crickets>

Oh, wait....

I happen to like Tommy. I don't think he says anything particularly useful, but I'm amused by the accent. I actually think the accent will help; Americans have a ridiculous affinity for English/Scottish/Irish accents, don't forget. But without dumping Ol' Swing And a Miss, I don't see what this does other than make the airtime even more crowded. Yeesh.

20. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Smyth was the color commentator for the Metros, Tommelson was the PBP guy.

21. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, Derek Rae freaking rules. For my money, he's the best PbP announcer ESPN has on their roster.

That said, I don't know how much I'd like to hear him doing MLS games. It's a shame, too, because the reason is something he can't help - his accent. His voice goes very well with mid-week championship games because they're European, so his voice actually sounds at home amongst a sold out Old Trafford, Anfield, San Siro, Etc.

Hearing him talk over mild noise at Pizza Hut Park might be a little too weird for me.

But hey, stranger things have happened. And, a the very least, I'd be interested to hear it. Who knows? It might be awesome.

EDIT: Actually, this post means nothing because I just figured out that we're talking about Smyth, not Rae. Oops.

I absolutely HATE Rob Stone as a play by play buy, but i get the feeling I'm in somewhat small company on that.

22. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa--&gt;KC, Mo
    I look forward to hearing "And in pops Taylor Twellman, bulging the auld onion bag! EEEuuuOooh, whatta finish."

I happen to like Tommy Smyth with a y, if only because he has personality.

I hope he plays a major role in the broadcast and that his presence marks the beginning of the DOB phase-out (although he did a better job last week, the first week and most of last year was awful).

23. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get used to seeing this guy in the broadcast booth:

[​IMG]

With this guy:

[​IMG]

Let the ego contest begin...should be filled with lots of laughs though;)

24. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    DOB has improved greatly.

Stone? We've had him for what, three years now. He doesn't add a single thing to the game for me.

I won't say I hate him, because that's simply stupid to say because you don't like a guy's commentating skills. But as THE voice of MLS on the national level, Stoner just seems too second rate for me.

NFL has Al Michaels.

NBA has Marv whatever.

Baseball's got somebody, I'm sure.

MLS needs a more commanding voice of authority in the box than Rob Stone.

25. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    I like the ESPN commentary setup.
    DOB is what we need a "mainstream voice" (I hate that concept but people who are just getting into soccer can relate to it) that is growing into the job.
    Hey if a baseball guy can do soccer maybe some of his baseball buddies will have maybe a tiny bit less resentment of this great "threat" and wouldn't that be good for soccer?
    Julie Foudy is getting better every time I see her. She's razor sharp smart and for me I think it's great to see a woman analyst who has an impressive and growing understanding of the game.
    Allen Hopkins was always the voice of sanity on Fox Soccer Channel. While some nameless souls interjected un-needed "comedy" into their broadcasts Allen just called the game. An extremely mature voice- he should be given a bigger role, he's got the talent.
    Waldo, alright we all know what he brings, isn't it fun to have a soccer analyst who doesn't back down when people trash the sport?
    Rob Stone, much improved after his "rookie" and sophmore seasons. I'm beginning to appreciate his work.

Perry Stein