New kit

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Crazy_Quakes_Fan, Jan 17, 2003.

1. OldQuakesFan

OldQuakesFan Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Gilroy, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean to imply that your entire timeline was incorrect, only the 1989 entry, but that was critical to your argument. Actually, I think that the actual history of the teams is even more interesting. The fact that the ownership trace was broken is no reason not to trace the heritage back to the birth of the NASL Quakes in 1974. That is the beginning of pro soccer here and the heritage deserves to be traced to that event, and the name change from Clash to Earthquakes was intended to take advantage of that heritage. This sentiment is strong even in New York, as evidenced by the "Bring Back the Cosmos" campaign, and I'm sure that NASL fans in every MLS city that had a NASL team have the same nostaigic feelings for the NASL team name. If the MLS had allowed those names to be used in the new league, I'd venture to say that many of them would be alive today, as our Earthquakes name is.

As far as why Van Voorhis didn't become the I/O after selling his soccer rights to MLS, I've only heard rumors relating to health problems, which can't be comfirmed.

As to your not being old, what I thought I said was you're not old compared to me. IIRC, you once said you went to the NASL Quakes matches with your parents when you were young. At that time I was taking my children to those matches. I guaduated from SJSC in 1958 after having served four years in the service before my freshman year. I guess that's enough info for you to reach the same conclusion.

Keep up your interests in our team and keep the interesting post coming!

2. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    Actually, rumor is he was in the middle of a nasty divorce at the time MLS was established and they didn't want the team finances to be caught up in that. MLS offered him a buyout to secure rights to the market...

3. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Is it me or is the Golden Boy growing a mullet?

4. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just a running joke.

5. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would look pretty slick to have white shirts and socks and Quakes blue shorts. At least it would be a change from the all white aways that is prevalent in MLS.

6. OldQuakesFan

OldQuakesFan Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Gilroy, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I know......

7. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's difficult being senile, isn't it? ;)

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: New kit

Damned right, sonny. Who are you?

9. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    What do the Quakes think of their new kits?

Helen Keller just called......she agrees! :D

10. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: New kit

Donovan. Landon Donovan. Do you have a daughter, or granddaughter, or should I say (considering your age) great granddaughter that I can get acquainted with?

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: New kit

Can't remember.

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: New kit

You're the real Landon Donovan!! Can I get acquainted with your ABZ??!!!

PS-I never knew Lando was a defender. :p

13. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New kit

All the women of the BS boards and Spartan Stadium can get acquainted with my abz, as long as they are at least 18, or have some sort of ID that says they are at least 18.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Someone here actually thinks that my posts are interesting? :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thank you! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :(

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Because despite what spejic would have you believe, the name of the team is the Earthquakes.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But the soccer ball alone doesn't indicate that the name of the team is the Earthquakes. Remember, we're not talking about NFL teams or MLB teams or whatever, who have been around for many years and have long had top media exposure - to the point that even the casual fan or even people who don't follow sports that much know who the 49ers, Raiders, Giants, A's, etc. are, regardless of whether or not that team has the name written on its logo or not (like the 49ers, for example).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Neither the Earthquakes nor the rest of MLS is quite there yet, and each MLS team needs to put its name out to the public as much as possible.. it's not like the media is willing to help them out with that, after all.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

17. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Back when the Sharks were a new franchise and a logo had yet to be chosen, there was a contest being run where fans could send in their ideas. The NHL explained that their criteria for a logo stated that a good logo is a picture that clearly tells the viewer what they team's name is and what sport they play. To look at the Sharks' logo, you see that the criteria was achieved--Shark biting a hockey stick in half.

Goodsport is right that MLS doesn't have that long-standing presence, so they have to include the name of the team in the logo. It certainly shows--not one team in the league doesn't have their name on their current logo.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I agree that it would've been cool had they added an "Est. 1974" in addition to what the logo currently has (the "Est. 1974" could've been underneath the word "Earthquakes", I suppose). :)

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I remember when that was going on, which now seems like a million years ago - damn, I'm old! :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I believe that was the second contest (after the team name was already chosen). The first contest was simply for what the team name would be: "Sharks" turned out to be the second-place choice...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The first place choice was "Blades", but either the NHL front-office or the San Jose NHL front-office (or both) decided that the name "Blades" had too much of a gang connotation, and chose the second-place "Sharks" name (apparently, that's the same reason that the NBA's Washington Bullets changed its name to the Washington Wizards years later).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Perhaps in the future they won't need to do that anymore... but for now, they must.

-G

20. JaguarCRO

JaguarCRO New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Sunnyvale,CA
    SJ Earthquakes new 2003 Jerseys Unveiled

My wife and I had invitations courtesy of the SJ Office as members of the CQ Board to the public unveiling of the San Jose Earthquakes new jerseys for 2003.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and sorry about the other people in the pictures as it was a well attended event.

Personally I think the new Jerseys look very good. :)

http://homepage.mac.com/charlesoverbeck/PhotoAlbum16.html

Randy Overbeck
    CQ Secretary

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Looking at your pictures I can't tell...please tell me these new jerseys don't have that mesh at the bottom like the ones they wore in the match vs. CSD Municipal.

Also, is it just me, or does it look like the blue jerseys have the championship star above the badge and the white ones don't?

I dislike the fashion show idea, but I hope you all who attended had a good time.

22. JaguarCRO

JaguarCRO New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Sunnyvale,CA

I don't know. I wasn't looking for it. Sorry.

Actually when I zoom in on the Away Jerseys I can see a blue dot or star just above the SJ Earthquakes patch so I think you are safe on that one.

Actually my wife and I really didn't go for it either. We were joking afterwards that it has been so long since we were at a club and we both had never been to a "fashion show". :)

Randy Overbeck
    CQ Secretary

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Ditto. I would have much preferred the street-fair type of event that the Krap's put on when the club changed its name and introduced those uni's. That's one thing that the Krap's did right.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Girl to the left wearing the Earthquakes hat = [​IMG]

25. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SJ Earthquakes new 2003 Jerseys Unveiled

spartacus, i think that's unnecessarily harsh! i mean, there's at least ONE other thing the kraps did right: THEY GOT THE HE!! OUT OF DODGE!! :D
    ok, back to thread. nothing wrong with simplicity in team kit, in my opinion...
    ...but Goodsport got it right: who IS she, and why doesn't she exist in minnesota??? (umm, yeah ross, cuz if she did, she'd sure talk to YOU! :rolleyes: )

QQQQUUUUAAAAKKKKKEEESSSS!!!!!