New kit

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Crazy_Quakes_Fan, Jan 17, 2003.

1. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: jersey

Interesting point. I hadn't thought about that. But I did notice the lettering/numbering. The numbers look so much like EPL numbers, with the little "designs" at the base of the number. Being that this is not an MLS specific thing, could that be why the fancy numbers and absence of sponsors?

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All MLS uniforms this year will have the same font for the numbers, with the MLS logo on each number. This has nothing to do with shirt sponsorship.

Yahoo is still on the list of MLS official sponsors, so I would expect them to still be on the Quakes' shirts, unless they are switching to a different team. Perhaps they took the new shirts to Spain before Cal Custom got the chance to put on the sponsor patches.

3. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    jersey

I'm probably in the minority but I like the new kits. I can't wait to get one finally. Now the big question is: which name to put on it?

oh and...does Cal Custom actually sell uniforms or do you purchase it somewhere else and then take it to them for customization?

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I seriously doubt that you are in the minority - just because two or three posters here are repeatedly vocal about how much they think the new jersey is ugly does not necessarily (and does not usually) mean that's how the majority of fans, or even the majority of posters here, feel about it.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp While I would have preferred for the Quakes to stay with the 2000-2002 SJ kits, the new jersey looks pretty nice too.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Me too! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Harut Karapetyan.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If the past is any indication, Cal Custom will do both.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

5. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    jersey

I may be way off the mark, but I thought FIFA was cutting down on ads on jerseys....nothing on the front but team name, crest, and the ever-present brand of the shirt-maker.....what will the MFL do?

:confused:

6. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: jersey

I went in there a few times the past couple seasons for various reasons. Seems Cal Custom only had extreme sizes of Quakes jerseys (really small or really large). But they indeed number, letter and put sponsor patches on any jerseys you bring in, for a reasonable fee.

Club Quake uses Cal Custom to doctor up the jerseys that club members (or non-members) order. I still think that's the way to go, although the club might not have 'em ready by the opener (So what? most of us have plenty of other blue or white Quakes stuff to wear in the mean time...).

Previous CQ president Turcs has said here on BS that Brian, the proprietor of Cal Custom, prefers dealing with bulk orders through the club instead of one-offs from walk-in customers. I can vouch that confusion does occur once in a while (a Dayak jersey I had made up last year on a blank I provided directly to Cal Custom wound up mixed in with an order returned to Club Quake).

EDIT: Just thought about this, too. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a delay as late as mid-season or so in getting customized versions of new jerseys. It would totally be par for the course if MLS did a poor job of distributing the new lettering/numbering to the official uniform suppliers like Cal Custom.

7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see the jersey and "new jersey" threads have been merged. Well done mods...

FYI I did a quick scan of the other MLS teams sites specifically in regard to their merchandising operations. As surprising as this may sound, Earthquakes may be about mid-table when it comes to merchandise... even though you can't get squat from the official site at the moment.

Here's what I found:

1) Wiz, Crew and Rapids don't even bother with their own merchanside operations, at least online. Each of their sites links to their respective sections in the MLSNet.com store.

2) Revs' merchandise is flogged on the NE Patriots' "Pro Shop" and there isn't a lot of choice on two pages; no jerseys. And it's sort of confusing: I clicked on the jerseys link, and instead of Taylor Twellman and Carlos Llamosa, I found Tom Brady and Lawyer Milloy.

3) Fire, Burn, United, Metro, and Galaxy have their own dedicated merchandise pages. They have varying degrees of availablility, but all seem to have pretty decent selections. I think Chicago, DC & LA may use similar e-commerce clients/storefronts (one of you tech-heads out there give me the right term, please?)

IMO, there's no reason SJ couldn't be in that third group if the front office had its act together.

8. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yeah, "having their stuff together" is key. Carlos mentioned yesterday that Keen Merchandise (who used to run the merchandise vendor pages on the Quakes site) is no longer associated with the team, so I presume the Quakes are working out some kind of business agreement with someone to sell stuff off their site.

9. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
  10. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco

With this in mind, they should should find out who is doing the merchadising for the Metros, and use them. It doesn't have to be local, does it?

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    jersey

Or maybe Club Quake can jump back in with both feet. Wasn't it over the loud and obnoxious objections of the Keen folk that CQ had to keep the merchandise on the DL?

12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody got a pic of away jersey?

I've only seen the new home ManU ripoffs. Anybody know what the away jerseys look like? Are they just white versions of the home kit?

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Most likely, ripoffs of the ManU away jerseys. I like the design of the jersey but it looks much better in ManU's colors than ours. Our blue and the black just run together. With ManU's red, the black accents/stripes jump out more. If you were to look at ManU's away whites and envision the Quakes' logo, etcetera then I would hope the black accents/trim on the ManU shirts would be blue on ours. It would at least make them a bit different and look more appealing.

I don't think our new uniforms are horrific--just not as distinctive as our last unis. Many have said that Nike will only crank out cookie cutter kits. My team in the MFL (Atlas) switched to Nike as their outfitter this season. I see that they were able to maintain their traditional half-black/half-red look. Wish we had done similar.

14. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Expect your new jersey in 30 to 60 days. ;)

-Tron

15. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: anybody got a pic of away jersey?

Wish we kept the Clouded Jade tradition? ;)

16. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Yes, it's a white version of the home jersey.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saw them last night in the Pumas-Atlas game and thought it was an improvement over the previous shirt.

18. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Quake fan put together this site for the possible look of the away and third kit jerseys: http://www.scottshouse.net/soccer/

I like black kits, but they are cliche, and too many MLS teams have them (NJ, DC, Columbus, Dallas, Colorado). I was wondering about the thoughts about a kit based on our underused "seismic silver" color of our club. It may be a little too light, and could be easily confused with a white kit, but it's an idea. Columbus and KC have something of a gray away/3rd kit.

Hell. Let's get an orange kit. At least it'll be different from any other team in the league.

19. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    I saw a couple of questions in this thread that I believe I can answer (the old CQ connections at work).

1.) Nike usually express ships a small number of jerseys to the team and slow boats the rest to retailers. I've heard RUMORS that the first ones from the slow boat are beginning to show up (SoccerUSA in Campbell). Call them first...

2.) Cal Custom (and possibly Club Quake?) should ultimately get all sizes. The odd sizes available last year were the result of the supporters club scouring the earth for all Quakes jerseys and selling them out. By June, all that remained were smalls, extra smalls (a size nobody knew Nike carried), and mediums.

3.) The merchandising company that handles the other AEG teams will be doing Quakes merch this year.

4.) BEWARE! The Quakes jerseys are sized by the European standard this year. If the jersey is tagged XL, it will fit like a US large, and so on.

5.) Cal Custom has a new retail soccer shop called Soccer International. It's right behind the original store in the same business park.

6.) Lastly, I think the new jersey looks pretty cool, but I'm not a fan of the collar or the way they changed the logo and star. Still, I'll be in line to buy one and have it customized...

Mike

20. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    jersey

MORE is the key word here.

TRANSFORM
    MARI

21. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    jersey

I remember back in the day...Liverpool had a silver alternate kit which looked pretty sweet. Silver with blue & white accents trimmed in black shadows would work.

See, Nike should pay us millions in consulting fees...

22. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    jersey

Where is this exactly?

I can't wait to get my first Quakes jersey because I've (finally) decided who's name I'm putting on it. :p

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and which name shall it be?
    barclay?
    graziani?
    Barrett perhaps?

24. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    my jersey

It was between Ian and Richard but I've opted for Richard because (in random order):

a.) we have the same initials
    b.) he's been my favorite player ever since the first few Earthquake games I attended
    c.) he's "first class" all the way, in every way :)

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jersey

Good choice, Ruby!:)