New kit

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Crazy_Quakes_Fan, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much expected to what was posted on the Club Quake site.

4. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I personally like it alot. At least much more then last year's kits with the white sleeves. I'm anticipating the new Colorado kits to see how closely they resemble San Jose's, both in color and in style.

I can just hear it now: "Well our shade of blue is lighter!"

BTW, I'm going to try and come up with some French taunts for Grimandi (whom I admire for coming to MLS and turning down an offer from Middlesborough.)

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp While the new jersey is nowhere near as distinctive (in a positive way) as the 2000-2002 Earthquakes home jersey, it's still light years better than any of the old Clash jerseys! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, you are so so wrong. First, the Clash jerseys (both cloudy jade and black) were distinguished and professional. This new jersey is really slight and chintzy. It looks like cheap pajamas.

And Colorado's jersey will look great, although it would be better if it was still green. It will be blue with verticle black stripes, a lot like Inter Milan.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp No, I am so right. First, the 1996 Clash home jersey looked like it was designed by a French existentialist "artiste" who accidently sneezed his paint all over the jersey before submitting it to Nike, while the 1996 away jersey looked like it was designed by Duracel to show off the capacity of its AA batteries.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The black Clash jersey that you mention looked like a disturbing early-80's preppy/early-90's gangsta hybrid design that achieved the power of neither, while the cloudy jade jersey eschewed the gangsta aspect in favor of total early-80's preppy in... *ahem*... cloudy jade. [​IMG]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The 2003 home jersey, on the other hand, emulates the professionalism of some little-known football/soccer club from across the pond in a small town named Manchester.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsie, I don't know how true it is, but that was one of your best posts. I could almost feel the brimstone.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The 1996 jerseys do not exist. Cloudy Jade is the color of the gods (at least the far eastern ones). The black Clash jerseys were gangsta, and they were successful at it. There is a reason why all NFL teams are shifting towards black - it is popular with the fans. Black jerseys outsell other colors.

And look at this guy. I swear he is getting ready to go nighty-night, not to play footy. It hangs off the shoulders in such a wimpy way. The large neck opening is very amateur. And those lame fake-collar-shadows are just embarrassing. At least the Quake's shirts are not lipstick red.

[​IMG]

10. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I love you spejic, and your biting cynicism.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks! :D

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp For the sake of all that is good and righteous, I hope that you are right.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Yet not of the near western ones. Is there a good reason for that? Undoubtedly so.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And the horizontal stripes made them preppy (and countered any "slimming" effect the black may have given the players). Besides, while black "third jerseys" still sell well, NFL teams are actually shifting away from black, and have been doing so since the late 90's. Actual team colors are actually coming back into vogue (imagine that)!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Yet he gets to go nighty-night with her...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp ... while we do not.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Advantage: Beckham

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So get a size smaller - problem solved.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And a small neck opening would be more professional?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You'll get over it.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Nor are they cloudy jade (Praise be to God!).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

13. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's getting ready to score with Vicki. :D

Let's just say the 1996 kits should go the way of the leisure suit and the Bee Gees.

Horizontal is reminiscent of rugby, but at least, the 1997 to 1999 edition of the Quakes shirts were decent.

Black means many things, however it is, it's probably the more imposing of the colors. At a buddy's place he has a long sleeve Clash shirt but it's more of an anethma...

I heard the 3rd NFL shirts are the color of the team's choice, not black--if I recall Jacksonville, which is close to the Sharks in color wore a third black shirt this past season. Sometimes that color is sold just to meet sales.

It's either Vicki or Karren everyone wants to score with...

Cheers!

14. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha_ : {} Ha ; []

All you need now are some diagonal stripes you losers !!

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy jerseys are fecking awful. That stripe looks like a sissy beauty pageant sash.

yuck :rolleyes:

16. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    I don't know, how can you argue against the black Clash Jersey...that was the best one of that whole era...does anyone know where I can get one by chance??

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would try (1) ebay or (2) contact California Custom -- their website is http://www.cacustom.com - they might have some of the old stuff but given the last sale they had there were some old Clash shirts. Good luck.

18. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really liked your previous jerseys. They were sharp, distinctive and looked good on TV.

The echos of Arsenal's white sleeves were nice, yet not too obvious in the blue/black color scheme.

The new one will probably sell more replicas though.

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very disappointed in the "new" shirts! I like uniqueness. That shirt was made for one purpose only - to promote Nike. When you look at that shirt you think Nike. It's just like the dozen or so World Cup shirts they had. And just like so many of the other teams they outfit. Very disappointing. :(

However, given that I have OSD, I'll probably buy the shirt. I most definitely will buy one for my own custom name and number. But until I see who ends up on the team, I'm not sure if I'll buy a player's shirt.

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH!!! But notice there is a star above the crest! Right on!

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the colors! What would you call those? Piss and poop green. Hideous!

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    New jerseys don't make up for a poor draft or a team doomed to failure....
    But you're right Erin, the new galaxative uniforms ARE piss yellow and ugly as hell.

23. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    i think I will buy an AGF "Barrett" jersey before I buy the new Quakes one.....

24. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Considering we have a Nike poster boy in Donovan, you had to expect they'd plug their Manchester fcuking United kits as well, seeing as they are easily recognisable

25. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I still hate the name logo, and the crest logo and the Nike logo all on the front. Too busy and no symmetry. I give it a C+ maybe B-.