New Gaffer?

Discussion in 'Middlesbrough' started by gaijin, May 4, 2006.

1. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    MON for Middlesbrough!

3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Mowbray has made it clear for a long time that he would love the 'boro job. He would probably do a very good job and seems the most likely candidate. Hibs, on their day, are the best football playing side in the SPL, he has done a geat job with a very young team.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    According to the local rags, it appears that Martin O'Neill is looking the favourite to take over.

I must admit I'm not a fan of his football to be honest, to much long ball stuff, plus he has a relience of playing the likes of Sutton and Hartson etc, plus really ugly stuff at times.

Mowbray would be a good choice, because of his success with the young players at Hibs and because they play some good football at times. I thought they were amazing when they beat Rangers at ibrox in the cup.

5. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    The US thread has Bruce Arena as a candidate- replace one national team coach with another. After all the US is ranked #5 in the world ! :)

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not sure if you guys have seen this yet.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1776416,00.html

O'Neill would have been a far better choice.

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Saw this in the local rags before I left. First it was El Tel going out to help the 'Ginger Nut', now its him coming to the Boro.

If the rumours are true, then this would signal a new low at the backroom staff at the boro. By hiring McClaren in the first place after the tyrade that was the Robson era, they are taking a backward step. Okay, Steve wasn't the best, but he was a solid gaffer and brought about some much needed professionalism in the club after Robson set about carrying on with the favoured 'drinking and lads mentality' that plagued British football for so long and looked to have gone by 2001. He even gave the youngsters a chance when Robbo would discared them after so much hope.

How the club can even consider this is a joke. Lamb and Gibson must be fooling themselves if they think this is what the fans want. A washed up TV pundit, or a young energetic go getter like Aidy Boothroyd? Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Venables only success was overseeing the demise of Leeds United even at a time when he had some decent players that could have escaped the drop. Since then its been mediocre for the so called ITV 'pundit'.

Whilst I will always thank Terry for keeping us afloat in that dreaded season and installing some belief in the club - his time has passed and the reigns must be passed down onto a new young generation of club management that can take the McClaren's work forward into the next stage of constant UEFA consolidation.

With what he has done with Hibs and their young squad, Mowbray would be the ideal candidate. O'Neill less so - but I think this is the direction the club must be taking, if they are to continue their success.

I hope this is just southern media bullshit and this peters out once the WC starts.

8. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Well aside from coaching a bunch of celebs to glory, a pre-requisite for anybody wanting to become a Boro manager, it looks like Venables is going to England to help 'consult' McClaren.

Looks as if this story was propogated so he could get some more money out of the deal.

Nice.

So now can we just please sign Mogga and get this shit done?

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  10. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  11. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    does Southgate have any coaching experience?

12. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  13. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    And this where the LMA step in...

14. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    But i thought he was made new manager not coach
    or does manager need coaching badges as well?

15. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I think this is a nice move.
    Southgate will be a good coach.

16. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  17. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    So moving one of the most intelligent and respected players of his generation into a management position surrounded by an experienced and fully qualified coaching staff is going to have an adverse impact on his and others progress? Whereas him taking two years to get the qualification and possibly not get given the chance when he has qualified is going to aid development?

Glad to see Taylor's lost nothing over the years (other than a couple of jobs).

All in all I think he will become an excellent manager.

18. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Taylor still refuses to take any blame for his horrendous performance as england manager .
    It was everyone elses fault .The linesman ,the players ,the press ,etc

19. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Unless we don't let our people take jobs, we'll be forced to use foreigners!!!
    How incredibly thick.

Anyway, the only reason the LMA are so opposed to anyone new getting a job before they've got their badges rather than doing the courses at the same time is that it stops the same old names popping up, surely.
    Southgate comes across as knowing what he's on about on the telly and seems a decent enough sort. Good luck to him and you guys.