New FIFA "school" rule: What does it mean for the USMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Clint Eastwood, Oct 14, 2009.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't understand correctly. This is just about the unique situation in the UK, with very limited (if any) applicability to the US.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's fine. That's why I brought it up. I was just asking if it applied to us.......and people acted like I should be brought up in front of the inquisition for even mentioning it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't replace citizenship requirements. It's just applicable in cases where citizenship requirements don't solve the problem -- e.g. when the football country isn't actually a country in terms of citizenship. In other words, it just applies to the UK. Please.

4. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Only some people.

I thought it was a legit discussion, and BigSoccer served a useful purpose by helping us get to a better collective understanding.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did someone mention the Spanish Inquisition? :D

6. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    And (if FIFA is consistent) Puerto Rico. Guam. Hong Kong. New Caledonia. A handful of other soccer-wise insignificant territories.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's hard to even come up with a scenario with the USMNT and Guam that makes any sense with this rule.

All the rule states is that Andy Dorman.......who isn't Welsh.......can play for Wales because he went to school there. It doesn't seem to apply to anybody other than the British, who insist they have separate "national teams" for England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. And it doesn't matter that he's Scottish.....he can represent Wales. It just seems silly. If I was a 12 year old Welsh kid with ambition, I'd insist my parents move to England tomorrow.

This may sound like a stupid question. If a good youth soccer player is "discovered" in Guam (or American Samoa, US Virgin Islands, etc.), can he suit up for the USMNT right now? I assume that he could. Even though Guam is an unincorporated territory, the citizens of Guam are citizens of the United States. There is indeed a Guam national soccer team that plays in the AFC. He could play for us just like all these players from French and Dutch colonies.......who end up representing France and Holland. I think I'm right about that yes? I know this is off the topic, but people aren't interested in the topic :)

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question of not great import, but certainly not stupid. I suspect that with respect to non-UK cases, the rule will continue to be -- if you are a US citizen, you can suit up for Puerto Rico or Guam if you want to and they call you. This rule is just related to unique British senistivities about Home Country nationalism.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't forget that the population of Guam is supposed to "explode" in the next decade. There's a programmed military expansion there, increasing the population by 20k. The population there by 2015 is expected to be well over 200k (it's about 180k right now I think). While that's less than any state............it's not insignificant. The idea that a good youth soccer player could be "discovered" there isn't entirely a fantasy.

Puerto Rico is a different matter altogether. It has a population of almost 4 million. If it was a state, it would actually be 27th in population.......more than Oregon for instance. More than states that have had multiple stars on the USMNT. With the interest in the game being generated there by the Islanders, etc.........it's not silly to think we could have some very good players come out of there in the future. (Yes, I know we've already had Chris Armas). And as far as I know, a player can be "cap-tied" to Puerto Rico........so it's something to look out for. We were somewhat worried that Luis Robles would suit up for them in a WCQ (they reportedly tried), and due to his age......that would have made him ineligible for the US.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint - I really don't think this has any applicability outside the UK. The difference in the US system is that the USMNT is equivalent, not to England, but to a UK team, which doesn't exist and that is why there are the special rules for the Home Countries. I believe any US citizen can and will be able to play for the USMNT without restriction.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, any US citizen can play for the USA, even if their citizenship comes from being born in a territory, and they've never even visited an actual state, and none of their parents or grandparents ever visited an actual state.

However, a rule such as this could apply if Guam or Puerto Rico were to try to call up a US citizen from the mainland who had no connection to the territory. FIFA dealt with a situation such as this during 2002 qualifying, when the Cayman Islands tried to bring in a group of lower-level pros from England and Scotland. The Caymans are a British territory, so there is no such thing as Cayman Islands citizenship. FIFA stepped in a day or two before the game and ruled the players ineligible, as the players were not born in the Cayman Islands, nor had they lived there, nor did they have any family connections there. They probably would do the same if Guam tried to call up someone with no ties to Guam, but very likely could use this Welsh precedent to allow Guam to use a US citizen player who had no ancestral tie to Guam but lived there a few years as a child.

1 person likes this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm sorry ThreeApples........the BigSoccer intelligentisa has decided that the rule couldn't possibly have any application outside the UK.

(I frankly, hadn't considered the reverse as you have. Well done. Don't know if it would apply or not, but interesting nonetheless.)

13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The French know how to beat the system. Martinique is a "state" within France, which is actually called a "Department". Martinique soccer federation is recognized by concacaf but NOT by fifa. So a player can be capped by Martinique in the Gold Cup yet play for France in the World Cup. The trick is to get "countries" like PR, Guam, US Virgin Island, Amer Samoa to drop their Fifa association, yet keep their association to their respective local Federation.

14. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nobody expects the spanish inquisition.

1 person likes this.
  15. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for PR there might be too much of a risk for other sports.

16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that withdrawing from FIFA would only affect soccer and not any other sport, as that is what FIFA governs.

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not clear about whether Fifa requires "citizenship" or a "passport" for membership on a national team. In the US you need to be a citizen to get a passport, but perhaps that is not the case elsewhere.