New England Red Sox vs DC United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Aug 25, 2017.

1. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Whether he is or not, I just can't wait for him to get into this exciting mix. Hopefully, it'll motivate him to contribute to the excitement.

Winoman repped this.
  2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I dunno. Mullins had several chances presented to him on a silver platter but he couldn't hit the goal. He was in the right place he just can't the broadside of a barn

Boloni86 repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the nicest I've seen DC play in quite some time. They actually looked like they had practiced together for a bit, and had some decent scoring opportunities. I think Mullins is better than what he's shown the last few games, but he needs to do something positive soon, or he won't be with the team next year. DC should probably find another striker in the off season, because DeShorn Brown doesn't appear to be 'The One.' Hopefully Bruno Miranda will be 'The One.'

I think that Arriola, Canouse, and Stieber have helped raise the spirits of Acosta, who was all over the pitch tonight, and finally has some folks to play with at a higher level. I, too, would like to see more of Odoi Atsem, and Harkes.

dadman, Murrdcu, NicktheGreek and 4 others repped this.
  4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, the skill and soccer sense of Arriola, Stieber, and Canouse have perked up Acosta's play, as he now has some reason to believe that his heroics will lead to something good. Until our newbies arrived I had the feeling that Acosta believed it was all up to him. Now, he is clearly part of at least a quartet of quality players who look for one another.

dadman, TowsonDad, roadkit and 2 others repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    While iI've given Deleon some criticism lately in the words of Full Metal Jacket he is "Born again hard."

dadman, griffin1108, D C B 2 3 and 3 others repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yes, I think De Leon is playing himself into a permanent starting fullback role. Today I think he's the best fullback on the team, although ideally I want him to take over the right side over Franklin. Maybe after Kemp recovers.

D C B 2 3 and DCUSA repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'd reserve plaudits for the FO, the acquisitions are much better than the drek they collected earlier but they played a weak team and by comparison to the others on the pitch of course they looked like superstars. That said it IS a giant step in the right direction personnel wise, now it's up to the brain trust to work out some tactical issues,

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee someone around here said something about not being able to win with the drek of roster that we had. Now that the roster has improved so have the results. Gee, really. :D;)

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve also had years of evidence where Ben with better players available kept playing Pajoy, et al. So what I believe is that our tactics and coaching is still wretched but the players have a higher football IQ and thus basically make it work (as of now) despite the coaching.

We still aren’t scoring goals and a better team will likely drop multiple goals on us. Over the last three games if not for Hamid we lose and lose hard.

Eastern Bear, tallguy, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Bill didn't have much to do last night.

But I agree that we still need a new coaching staff

11. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brother Nick, you are appointed to start the "Church of the Own Goal", a wayside for the downtrodden (read DCU fan). Amen....

12. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stieber is the real deal .... Hey made everyone else on the field look like amateurs.

Lots of clicking with him between Acosta, Arriola and even DeLeon. Real nice touches and smooth play, actually nice looking football to watch.

Still though Arriola and Steiber kept switching wings and it was driving me nuts cause Steiber was really jelling with Acosta then suddenly 10 minutes later he'd be on the other side of the field.

Mullins for me I've always noticed that his first few touches on goal are lousy, then he gets going. It's as if he has to get warmed up, and then he starts firing. However, he's been really off now for quite some time so it's either in his head or he's got some sort of nagging injury. He's in a real unfortunate slump as he had so many chances.

Franklin also missed a real golden opportunity.

Good signs...

Eastern Bear, ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Mullins may be off but he's getting closer. Last night he had a nice header from the right. He was a little off but he got up well and snapped it hard. And he always plays smart.

Brown otoh is always stupid. The stupidest thing you can do on defense is to watch the ball. The stupidest thing you can do on offense is watch the ball. If you're a forward trying to make runs you need to know where the last defender is. Brown never does and he's always off-sides. These are 7th-8th grade mistakes.

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Brown has never impressed. Miranda's 15 minutes this season showed me why he was brought in. I hope he gets over his hip injury during the break and comes back a starter.

gringolimon repped this.
  15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but Bosco is the only misused payer from the past. Salihi was marginal at best. Who are these other players that were not played properly? That's one player. Hardly worth condemnation.

Q*bert Jones III and Hedbal repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

And both Arriola and Stieber will be on their National teams this weekend - Arriola with the USA and Stieber with Hungary - https://www.dcunited.com/post/2017/...al-team?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Facebook

Winoman repped this.
  17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Very pleased with how they closed out the game. Held the ball for some stretches and didnt slam on the brakes.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Zoltan was excellent. Very impressed with how he always seems to find space for himself. Will be interesting to see what happens when teams inevitably start to focus their attention on him. Canouse also impressive going 90 3 games in 8 days. He sort of collapsed at the final whistle.

New players make the coach look a little smarter...

19. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    They set the bar so low that spending any money at all would bring an improvement. So I don't give them much credit yet. If they add better pieces next transfer window including a true impact player, then I think they'll deserve some credit

20. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    They have to buy them first

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a pretty fair point. The pieces they just purchased were glaringly obvious. The next few will be much more difficult.

I think it's still pretty important to get an top quality striker if you can. The good news about Mullins is that he's so cheap, you can afford to spend more on a more proven commodity and have a competition. Mullins does not make more than the average 2nd striker in MLS.

The next spots are more difficult. Do you get an experienced center back? or do you get some full backs that can really contribute offensively? How about another center mid to compliment Cannouse? How much do you try to re-sign Hamid? These aren't obvious to me, but I would be inclined to go for some top quality fullbacks and rely on a bounceback from Birnbaum. I think Opare and Robinson have proven themselves pretty reliable of late. If you can draft a talented centerback you can go into next season with 4 deep at a relatively low cost. I would also be tempted to bank some money for a mid-season signing next year. These are all much more difficult decisions and I'm eager to see where Kasper/Olsen will go.

JRHokie, ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me the biggest need is for a genuine striker to play in front of Acosta, Stieber, Arriola, and Canouse (and Harkes?). Despite leading the team in goals, I see Acosta as a facilitator of goals more than a scorer of goals. Perhaps Miranda can be that striker. Mullins? Maybe. Brown? Don't think so.

gringolimon, ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    It looks like Ben is really committed to the 4-2-3-1 right now which is pretty trendy in Europe. Most of the goals should come from striker (15+) and one of the wings who cuts inside as an inside forward (10+). Part of me thinks that's going to be Stieber based on 70ish minutes. I hope it is. It won't be Arriola. I think expecting 7-8 (non PK) from the attacking mid/Acosta is still realistic. I haven't seen a successful 4-2-3-1 that doesn't have a stud striker bagging goals so you're point is dead on.

Boloni86 repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EB, your reference to a "stud striker" is dead on. With the exception of Opare and maybe Birnbaum, we look like boys against men on the pitch. Acosta is 5'3"; Arriola is 5'6", Sam is 5'8", and Stieber is 5'9".

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry - Zlatan was resigned by ManUre.

Alan Gordon? - Kidding

Peter Crouch?