New Donovan interview

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by olafgb, Sep 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think the Bayer officials see video of his performances, or just read about them in the papers?

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't part of the challenge earning a spot in the first team? Why should he be handed a starting spot when no other player is? What do you think it would do to team chemistry if Topp was forced by management to start LD? You think his potential teammates don't know what is going on with LD and read what he has to say?

The only reason he can hold the position he is holding is because he does have a recourse. Unless all this talk of a buyout clause is just that, talk.

3. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    They'll have some scouts watching him. Personally they'll only watch tapes short before deciding on his future.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you re-read the quote?

What is so complicated? He's willing to go for a year, but doesn't want to be Lewised.

5. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Well the parallel is obvious, MLS gets blown out compared to the bundesliga in training players and developing talent just like the US got blown out by the German in J/K. ;)

Translation: LD is my idol, I will never amount to anything compared to him. Since he is everything I ever wanted to be, he must live his life according to MY dreams.

Mediocrity? 2 goals and one of the best performers on a world cup quarterfinalist, and he's considered mediocre. The pipe man..put it down or pass it on.

If he's already given it a try at Bayer, and they didn't want him in the first team until AFTER he proved himself to be a quality player on the international stage, I can see why he wouldn't want to return.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What bargain??? What are you talking about here? He owes it to us? No. He owes it to BL? No. He owes it to himself to be happy. And finally, I would hardly call his last year or so "mediocrity". That seems a little silly.

I am sorry I must have missed Donovans contract being torn up. Your right, he gave his word and signed a contract to play for BL so he owes them absolutely nothing. I signed a professional contract when I was 18. I signed with the best team in the world, the US AIR FORCE. I didn't care for the way i was treated but I gave my word and I did my best to try and be the best I could. Believe me I had it harder then Landon,,,,,He got to play soccer games,,,I got to play war games and work 16hrs shifts for crappy pay. I went were I was told and sucked it up if I did not like it. If your word is no good then you have no pride or honor. Thats something many professional players have lost sight of. landon will more than likely stay in MLS and cry foul if BL tries to force him to come back. As for the medioctrity, hey he did great in the WC, now he will just lay in obscurity of the MLS for another 4 years till the next WC. Disagree with me all ya want, but you as a player have to admit that there is no worse thing than seeing a talented player not pushing himself to be the best he can and get the most out of himself. Can Landon do that staying in the MLS? NOPE. If he doesn't want to push himself then thats great for him, If he is happy and content being a big fish in a little pond then more power to him. the way I see it is its a let down for his fans and especially for his teammates on the national team. Could it be that he is afraid he will be not be the BMOC at BL?

7. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia
    You're missing the point

You're all missing the point.. Nike bought LD, and he no sooner will go back to Europe than Mia Hamm would play for Man U. With money out of the way, what LD wants, he gets. And he wants to stay in the US.. at least for the next few years.

After the next WC, he'll be one of the top players in the world, have his choice of teams and starting positions, and he'll only be 24!

8. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    ************ you with your little pond ************. You might think my country's league is a little pond, but I say ************ off to that. And you're spouting off military mumbo to the wrong G.I. here, pal. You're a real hero because you got an edge on life in the f-ing Air Farce. I know everything there is to know about signing a contract. I also know that BL wasn't kicking and screaming when LD came back. He's not f-ing AWOL, jackass, they let him come. Until BL demands him back, and then he doesn't come, you can talk about him not keeping his end of the bargain. As for me, I'll keep rooting for him in his f-ing obscure little team in the little pond of OUR MLS. Jackass.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its just as much my country as it is yours, maybe even more so and I am a Revs season ticket holder and I know all about out little league. As for the name calling, was this really called for? Because someone disagrees with you, you have to call him names? Is that what they are teaching you at Ball state? how old r u 12? Geez buddy,,,,don't have a freakin cow. You show me where I said he was AWOL,,,,thats right they let him come because he was home sick and because MLS is better than the reserve games he was playing in. I enjoy watching him play as much as the next guy and I will cheer for him too, until he comes to New england and then I hope Rusty puts a hurtin on him, but its my opinion that he should go back if BL says they want him. All the articles I have read said that he wants no part of BL or only if he is assured a starting spot. I happen to think that is pretty childish. You have another opinion.....don't see me calling you a jackass. Aim high dude!

10. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Thread closed. I wish I could ban all Donovan YA threads.