New design to be released on Monday

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Jim Bob Rhino, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad at all! And with room for expansion.

4. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! They're building it with future expansion in mind. The empty end I believe they plan to use removable bleachers in order to bring the capacity to 17,500. But once a permanent section is put in place and an upper deck added on the far side, and more luxury suites added the total capacity would be close to 30k.

According to the webmaster at Rhinossoccer.com a construction webcam should be in place soon.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Not a bad-looking stadium, especially for the available budget. There doesn't seem to be much parking, though. Is this going to be a problem?

6. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the plan is to use some of the parking currently available for Frontier Field which is about 1/4mile away.

It could get messy.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope the expansion plans eventually call for a roof.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Why? You and your fascination with roofs.

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And meat-pie stands :confused:

I mean, roofs are cool and all. I think it's hilarious that LA has a roof over one stand, considering it never rains there.

I dunno, I guess it looks nice. I'm not a big fan of "artists renderings" because they really give you no idea as to what the actual final project will feel like.

Here's to hoping this thing gets done sometime this decade!!

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roofs are important because they keep the noise inside of the stadium, thus creating awesome game atmosphere.

Not only that, but it's just a cool trademark of soccer stadiums in my opinion.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Agreed.

The roof in LA is not really a roof. It is more like a covering.

Nearly every stadium in Europe has a similarly designed roof. Kinda like a big roof shed. Curious as to why I haven;t seen any plans for that type of roof in any of the MLS designs...

12. Rochchachasoccer

Rochchachasoccer New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    My only problem with the stadium is that phase one does not contain any luxury boxes, but otherwise i cant wait to go see some games there next summer.

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they're under the upper deck.

14. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone has scanned in a pictured from the D&C with a more detailed description:

http://www.rhinosfan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12976#12976

There will not be luxury suites in place next season, but as Frank DuRoss posted on the Rhinos Boards today:

15. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    I'll follow Drew in this forum too........

Rhino's, MLS, 2006.

Makes sense after FDR's last post.

16. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    If my math is correct, I count 13,000 initial capacity, perfect for the A-League. 4,500 to be added later for a grand total of 17,000, which should suit MLS just fine.

17. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I will say it again, MLS screwed Rochester!
    MLS should have given the expansion team to them, it would have installed the missing "passion" in the game, Rochester is in NY, Metrostars are in NJ, yet they are the NY/NJ metros would have been a great addition.

Well there is the expansion in two years right?

The attendance for the team would have been better than the Dallas Burn's has been for sometime.

18. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Putting a MLS expansion team in Rochester before the stadium was done and before the organization had the right financial cajones to hold up under league financial pressures would have been a total disaster. Nobody screwed anybody. Say it as many times as you want and it still won't be true.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That place is looking more and more like Crew Stadium with every passing day.

Which is not bad in and of itself, but I still remember the snide "erector set" comments that the Rhinos fans were making about the place when they were there in '99 for the Open Cup final.

20. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    1. Because roof swill help differentiate soccer stadiums and our game from all the other sports.

2. They help keep the sun off paying customers during a season that takes place during the hottest part of the year.

3. They greatly help the accousticss of most stadiums.

21. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    MLS should not put a team in Rochester.

We don't need th game to be anymore of a small town/suburban game than it already is.

22. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The Rhinos are a team that deserved to be in MLS a long time ago...I hope that the stadium puts them into 1st division football because this is a team that have done things right on and off the field since day 1.....

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need places with fans who care. We need our own stadiums.

Just because some people are just dying to see sexy city names like "Philadelphia" and "Houston" in the agate page so they can feel better about their fandom doesn't mean MLS needs to pass up opportunities to get into places where its teams can be part of the local sports conciousness to a larger degree than they are in "sexy" big cities.

Whether or not Rochester can actually pull it off is a whole 'nother discussion. They've gone back and forth and up and down on this whole thing so many times, I don't know how big a success they'd be.

But the concept is sound. A hell of a lot sounder than putting a team in freaking Miami and have it run poorly and ignored.

24. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Rhinos have done things way better than the Metro Scrubs and many other teams in MLS and have even out drawn teams MLS SHOULD REWARD THEM BY PROMOTING THEM...

If you feel the rhinos should not come up because its a small market team then the NJ MetroScrubs should be playing in the PDL for being a piece of S**t since 96....

You should not talk about small markets seeing How your New Jersey Crap team plays in a crap state that has an inferior complex to NYC.. Last I checked New Jersey is NOT CONSIDERED A MAJOR MARKET........

The state of NY has a team to call its own its not a NYC team but I'll Support an upstate team rather than New Jersey Garbage any day of the week...

At least Rhinos have trophies in their trophy case... Metroscrubs just have the honor of being losers and a joke....

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there you have it.