New College Programs--2017

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jeffconn, May 19, 2017.

1. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a clearinghouse for all the colleges that are starting brand new varsity men's college soccer programs this fall. Feel free to add any new programs that you know about. (I am sure i missed a few.) Links to the official announcement or the team's website are always useful.

Shaw University
    The Shaw Bears, from Raleigh, NC, will be starting up both men's and women's soccer this fall. Luis Cortell will be coaching both squads. They will be playing as a NCAA Div. 2 independent.
    http://www.shawbears.com/general/2015-16/releases/20160602flu2pd

Mississippi University for Women
    The Owls, out of Columbus, MS, will be starting up their athletic program from scratch this fall, including a brand new men's soccer squad. MUW has been co-ed since 1982, but never bothered to change the college's name. MUW will be a NCAA Div. 3 independent school. Tim Gould will be the head coach.
    http://www.muw.edu/athletics/sports/soccer

dsm_lime and OverseasView repped this.
  2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 ThePonchat, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Ottawa University in Surprise, Arizona will compete for the first-time ever.

Benedictine University in Mesa, Arizona will also compete for the first-time ever. Existed a year at the club level. Ottawa and Benedictine both will compete in NAIA.

West Liberty University in Wheeling, West Virginia announced this spring they will start a program. Compete at club level for 2017, full DII schedule in 2018.

EDIT: Shaw University will also compete in USCAA, if I'm not mistaken.

SoccerIsOurLife and dsm_lime repped this.
  3. Rafael Zimmer

Rafael Zimmer New Member

Brazil
    Jun 3, 2017
    Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks for the post, that's really useful. Do you guys think it would be good to me to contact some of these new programs or contact others that have more time into the soccer?
    I'm a Brazilian soccer player with experience at academies here and got 1200+ on the SAT (I'm a good student). Once I'm looking for scholarships, I was thinking about if it would be good to contact some colleges that are opening a soccer program and other small colleges or some old with more experience; I'm not so into the soccer in this level there.
    I kinda know the difference between the leagues but only this USCAA I see a lot of teams on it playing at NCAA as well, a bit confusing.

4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, very valuable to communicate with the programs individually.

There are programs in NCAA, NAIA, USCAA, NJCAA, and NCCAA. You are probably more aware of NCAA and NAIA. USCAA and NCCAA are comprised of "dual-affiliates," meaning schools can be involved in NCAA/NAIA as well as USCAA or NCCAA. NJCAA are two year schools, which then you would transfer to finish a Bachelor's degree elsewhere.

5. Rafael Zimmer

Rafael Zimmer New Member

Brazil
    Jun 3, 2017
    Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks, that's clear now. But do you know if there are Universities or Colleges that only play at USCAA or NCCAA and offer scholarships? Yes, I've heard about NJCAA and I'm considering it as well. I'm just considering a small college or one that plays one of these leagues or even NJCAA if they offer scholarships. I don't know well the profile of the teams of these leagues (only NCAA a bit and NAIA) but it seems valuable to try some small league to add experience and stand out.

6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, USCAA and NCCAA can offer scholarships.

7. Rafael Zimmer

Rafael Zimmer New Member

Brazil
    Jun 3, 2017
    Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thank you so much for the information.

ThePonchat repped this.
  8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ThePonchat repped this.
  9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad you're correct. 2018. They are recruiting now. Had a cousin take visit there last week to meet coach.

11. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indiana University East Both MEN and WOMEN

NAIA school in River States conference.

12. snowteller

snowteller New Member

Real Madrid