New Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The made up mixed metaphors and similes along with the (surely) tongue in cheek hyperbole make him a priceless 'artist' to me. Also no matter how ridiculous he may sound at times, he knows the game well. I do have to agree the Messi and CR7 "gushing" are at times a little too much.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Did they beat Ireland under Hudson? The only non-Oceania win I'm seeing on the FIFA site 2014-2017 is the Oman match.

3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Marcello Balboa is the Jackson Pollock of the commentary world?

I like it! I feel the same way about Pollock's "art" as I feel about Balboa's color commentary.

Dom. FC repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    kucsdat and Totoro repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AlbertCamus, Virginian and Bridgeman repped this.
  6. Wimble Wombat

Wimble Wombat New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Yip that is our only non OFC win under Hudson back in 2014 in a friendly against Oman. We didn't play Ireland but lost to Northern Ireland before the Confederations Cup in 2017

7. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Where is Pablo these days? He doesn't maintain any social media, hasn't been in any news.. just kind of vanished.

kucsdat repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty Sure he's in this pic somewhere.

[​IMG]

9. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to the team gear sale today. Standing in the line I was right in front of a parking space marked “head coach at all times.” I jokingly said where is he shouldn’t he be working...a couple minutes later a brand new black suv pulls up and it’s Anthony Hudson! He stopped and talked to the crowd for a minute or two. Seemed genuinely impressed with how many people were waiting in line to get in. There was a little banter with the fans but the most telling thing he said was they needed to get on signing players. Pretty cool unexpected interaction.

Stuart95, SccrDon, kucsdat and 9 others repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Chevrolet Traverse or Range Rover Evoque -- expiring minds need to know?

11. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like this because it had those 3 stripe things on the side but it was all black.

[​IMG]

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Adidas? Range Rover, healthy ego (probably a good thing) and healthy pay check (also good but somewhat unexpected).

jimijam28 repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Glad to hear this. Hope that we'll get some real news soon about the player acquisitions.

Also, I believe C 38 is having an event tomorrow (Saturday) at the Celtic Tavern with Hudson. I can't make it so I am hoping that those who post here are will pass on any news, observations/impressions and/or anecdotes.

14. mrsmiis

mrsmiis New Member

Wellington Phoenix
    San Marino
    Dec 2, 2017
    Nope, it was a friendly against a literal club side from Ireland in the second division - Cabinteely FC

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A very nice note to Rapids supporters written by the new boss. I like pretty much everything he says, it all sounds positive. Then, towards the end, he asks for "measured patience", which makes me feel like we are a work in progress and he knows this. I guess that's always true with a coaching change, but seems like he knows we should not expect any immediate results of greatness. I hope what he says about preparation, fitness, structure, all on the same page is something we see reflected on the field with good results. If the Rapids can make the two goals he stated of being a perennial playoff team and bring another MLS Cup home, that would indeed be outstanding.

m vann, Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't resist. I just can't.

Another question commonly asked by supporters over the past few weeks is “Why the Rapids?

It’s pretty simple. Having coached in Europe, the Middle East, and Oceania, very few clubs I’ve encountered possess as clear a vision for its future as the Rapids do.​

Oh my. They made a movie about this vision. Here's a clip:

A few weeks ago I spent some time meeting with supporters at Celtic on Market during the MLS Cup and I was asked by someone there, “If you could get every Rapids fan into a room together, what would you say to them?”​

"Why is this room so small, why are there only five of you and where are the rest of the supporters?" would be my first reaction.

Hudson has one of the most difficult jobs in the MLS. The cupboard is bare. The owner is AWOL. The franchise has a two decade legacy of indifference. The RFO has no idea how to build a team in the perpetual offseason. And the new coach has less than two months to avoid the 2018 iceberg.

All that said, I'm glad he's here. There have been a couple rays of hope this time around, and maybe - just maybe - things will be different. Or to borrow lyrics from Adam Young, "If the bombs go off / the sun will still be shining / because I've heard it said that every mushroom cloud / has a silver lining."

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I believe Pádraig and Hudson are sincere in their goals and efforts. I trust that they have a plan to move the Rapids up the MLS pecking order.

The remaining question then is how much help do they need and get from the higher ups who have the purse strings? That's what remains to be seen.

Yayasanogo and fortcollins repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love and appreciate that letter Yes, some it was "coach talk" and fodder but overall the gesture was thoughtful and heartfelt. My take away........Hudson has reiterated that theme of preparation numerous times. It has been a focal point. In fact, preparation and professionalism were referenced as his strengths from NZ and its players following his exit. With Pablo I never got the sense that he wasn't prepared. However, there is a HUGE difference being personally prepared and having a team prepared. Contrary to popular belief, they don't always go hand-in-hand. That's where Pablo failed and failed miserably. I get the sense that Hudson is meticulous, almost neurotic about preparation -- top to bottom. His "preparation" is something that I can going to really watch and really hone in on this season especially with a half filled roster and 50 days to go until our first CONCACAF Champions League match. The clock has started. Hudson's words have excited and impressed me. Now it's time to see those words at play.

Yayasanogo, jimijam28, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  20. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The letter is a nice gesture, very much appreciated.. It would be easy to be cynical about it if it we hadn't been trained up to not expect even small gestures.

Soaker888, COMtnGuy and fortcollins repped this.