New Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 19, 2017.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Stuart95, jayd8888, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  2. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I, for one, am encouraged that they seem to be really looking at coaches this time. Not saying they won't screw it up, but at least this time we see some action.

Rod.

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. So far all we've seen/heard is talk. Until we get actual independent reports of coaches being contacted/interviewed I'm not going to be particularly encouraged. Remember the "exhaustive search" we were told Bravo and Hinchey carried out before deciding on Pablo?

But then I was just accused of drinking the KSE kool-aid on Facebook so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    To be clear, I am not saying "great job by the RFO" yet. Just that there is more action (both more specificity in comments by the RFO and things people are seeing) than the last time. The last time we only had vague comments from the RFO. This is already better than that admittedly low bar.

rod.

5. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paranoid Coyote, JasonMa and jayd8888 repped this.
  6. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    jayd8888 and Quaker repped this.
  7. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So... how much is CO willing to pay a coach? That'll broaden or narrow the pool of choices quickly.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  9. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    What ever average is minus some percentage.

Dom. FC repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fortcollins repped this.
  11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm intrigued by Gunn. College ball has rarely translated well to the professional level in the past, but the guy apparently wins and his development record, at least recently, seems solid.

I'd rather take a risk on someone like him than most MLS assistants (or MLS retreads, save perhaps Fraser) I guess.

Bridgeman, Rod1916 and Quinn 33 repped this.
  12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 Quinn 33, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Two things:

1) The club has done an analytical analysis to create a shortlist of 20 coaches. They also hired an outside firm to compile a similar list of 20 people. On top of that, over 100 people cold-called the club. Bear in mind that all of those count as "making contact".

2) Farias and Gunn aren't bad choices, though I don't think either are quite the right fit for us. Berg is ill-suited for the job based on his track record, and Wolff is so under-qualified that I can't believe they would seriously consider him.

COMtnGuy, Soaker888 and JasonMa repped this.
  13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would too.

However, I don't think he's the right hire for us under the current circumstances. He would have been a great hire back in 2012. He has an eye for young talent and would have brought a fresh approach. He'd fit in nicely with a club that's looking to make their roster a lot younger.

That's not the guy we need now though.

We need a guy with professional managing experience that has the tactical brain and player management skills that would instantly make even our current flawed roster better.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  14. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not super excited about those four names. I still think Giovanni Savarese merits a look. He has also stated that he wants to go to MLS and his contract with the Cosmos is up at the end of the season.

Not really sure who is out there that can come in and immediately stamp his style a la Tata Martino but damn it would be incredible if all this talk was real. Come to think of it Atlanta's style is what I dream of here. High pressure and exciting play. We should run people into the ground at home.

Stuart95, UxSxAxfooty and SirNoodle repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem with Gunn and Wolff is that they would be the 4th straight coach getting their first pro head coaching job. I can't take another round of "learning on the job" without losing my mind.

Problem with Berg is that I'm a Rovers fan and I can't take another round with him. :D

fortcollins repped this.
  16. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally like your insight, but it's quirks like these that show me why Rod1916 gives you such a deserved hard time. :ROFLMAO:

Sports Yak, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agreed.

As for the four names dropped in the article today, I don't know much about any of them but it seem Farias has a variety of coaching experiences. I'm intrigued, and would like to hear more about his career and philosophy. At the same time, I hope the four candidates listed in the article aren't the only options the Rapids are considering.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy Gunn has won at every level. He gets my vote. If FO office provides players he'll know what to do.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gunn would show that "the Rapids Way" is the same as "#OneClub" and "How true fan are you". Supposedly we're supposed to get something different under the new leadership.

20. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for it...to head up the youth academy...

COMtnGuy, jayd8888, m vann and 1 other person repped this.
  22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SccrDon repped this.
  24. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter ... I'm not a fan but his only experience prior to the Timbers was as an assistant at Indiana and then building a program up at Akron