Alert: NEW COACH - Jürgen Klinsmann

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by StevenTacle, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Getting through the group stage should (and pretty much is) the mandate of every guy who accepts the job of USMNT manager.

But, as I'd said and pretty much everybody knows, history has shown that the draw has a lot to do with how successful we can expect to be. A good draw, and we really should advance. A poor draw, and it becomes extremely difficult.

As for finishing first in the group... that's nice, but that's not the mandate, nor should it be. Qualify (by any means), then get us through the group stage (by any means).

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused. Are you agreeing with me that advancing in second is success and the other guy is wrong, or are you agreeing that Klinsi has to win the group to be considered successful?

3. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm agreeing that advancement is the primary criterion of success that we should judge Klinsmann (or every other coach of this era) by. I don't really care about whether it's in first or second place, on 4 points and goal difference or sailing through with 7 points (of course I care, but I'm not going to deduct style points from Klinsmann if he just barely gets us through a difficult group on goal difference). Our player pool is still such that the draw has a significant influence on how well we can be expected to do. But no matter how difficult the draw, that's exactly the challenge that the USMNT manager signs on the dotted line for.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then we agree 100%.

6. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    What an understatement, but it sure was legendary. I don't expect Klinsmann to be a miracle worker, but I like that the USSF showed the balls to want to make real changes.

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why not. Bob won the group and most people on here think he failed.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Two wrongs don't make a Right.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think most people think he failed at the WC, but most people were not in favor of a second term based on history, and think the last year shows why....

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he didn't fail at the World Cup, be he came about as close to failing as you can get. And we were going in the wrong direction. Looked good and played good in beating Mexico at the 2007 Gold Cup. Up and down Confed Cup that could have ended after group, didn't, could have ended in glory, didn't. And then another great escape and wasted chance at the WC, and then the embarrassments vs. Brazil and Spain, the loss to Panama, and the collapse against Mexico.

Past time for a change. Can't say Bob failed, but it's hard to say he was the guy to take us where we needed to go.

11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't eat yellow snow

12. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to share this for the lulz...

[​IMG]

13. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love the Japanese!

14. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Damn, how many fracking pages do u have open on ur Chrome?

15. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    three lefts do, however.

16. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know all I need to know about him: he was a failure at Chivas and an integral part of the disappointment at Bayern (and you can try to paper over the issues there all you want, but they were better before and after Klinsi was there).

He's just about the only guy Klinsmann could have hired as an assistant that would worry me. Literally, the only guy. It screams of lessons not being learned from his experience at Bayern.

17. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it's going to be a tough 3 years for you.

I'll wait to see a full & official announcement of Klinsi's staff before I rush to any judgement but don't have any big issue with Vasquez being an assistant.

18. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vasquez being an assistant is not a problem. If Vasquez turns out to be the top, second-in-command assistant, then what Craig P said is pretty spot on.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any idea when Klinsi is going to be "presented"?

20. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is having a press conference tomorrow in New York. I don't know exactly what time.

21. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a tough three years for me, it'll be a tough three years for all of us. While I'll criticize moves he makes in the interim, he'll ultimately be judged on results, and I think my expectations as far as results go are more moderate than most. I expect him to qualify before the last match day and perform respectably at the World Cup. That's it. Not win the hex, not win the group, not advance to the quarterfinals, perform respectably given the opponents that are in front of him.

22. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Well, atleast we something in common with regards to our expectations.
    So then, who would you have liked to be our coach?

Realistically speaking of course.

23. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know for certain who was available for a price that the Fed would have paid. The most likely candidate who was probably available and who I would have been reasonably happy with is Jason Kreis---I'd rather have him than Klinsmann, I think. Most of the other MLS coaches have some sort of blemish or another on their resume. As far as European candidates go... Lippi's history is solid, though I'm not sure how he'd have meshed with the program; was there anybody else who was ever linked with the job? The problem we have is that generally speaking, anybody from over there who's worth a damn can get better jobs than the national team job.

I dunno, while I'm not the biggest JK fan, maybe he really was the best the fed could do on short notice.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I honestly wonder if this was truly short notice. My gut feeling (not backed up by anything in particular, just my idle speculation) is that Bob was rehired last year as a sort of "interim" solution yet again while negotiations continued on-and-off with Klinsmann, until the two sides were finally able to reach some sort of agreement, and that there was an appropriate lull. (Ie firing Bob and hiring Jürgen in May would've cut both former and new coaches off at the knees.) Perhaps the GC results gave a renewed sense of urgency to those discussions, but I kinda doubt that Sunil and Flynn waited until after the Mexico match to call up Jürgen. I think he's always been there.

And I think the flirtation with Bielsa and Peckerman and others was just that: flirtation. It was always going to be Klinsmann. They've wanted him for 5 years now, and it took 5 years for it to happen.

I think that if this were truly a panic, "Oh crap, things just went bad and we have to fire Bob right now!" move, we would've ended up with another "interim" MLS guy like Schmid.

25. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I know, right? Must be tough to be a fan of a team they're always so pessimistic about. As for me, I'll give them a chance to prove what they can do.

:D