Alert: NEW COACH - Jürgen Klinsmann

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by StevenTacle, Jul 29, 2011.

1. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he will have a bunch of ignorant, obstructionist assholes to deal with, so yeah, it's a pretty good analogy.

2 people repped this.
  2. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann: the German Kaiser

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Disgusting ! A injury to the majesty.

I think "leader" would be the better term for the hopes on him of "leading the US to World (Cup) glory !"

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    *double post*

5. BM-Hattrick

BM-Hattrick Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think those expectations are a bit too much. Neither Germany, nor Brazil, nor Argentina, nor Italy or the Netherlands have a guaranteed semi final spot. How come that the US team now has to make at least the semis all of a sudden? Realistic expectations would be doing better than Bradley did, wich means making it past the round of 16 and winning more than a single game during the whole tournament. I think that is doable. And some fans are already turning on him before even a single game is played...

6. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case you aren't a regular on these boards, it's a continuation of the BigSoccer meme that Edson Buddle is the "black Drogba".

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450778 among others.

7. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that one already taken....

[​IMG]

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuehrer? Seriously?

9. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUt wasn't re referencing the Kaiser comment? I think White Obama is better.

THen in 3 years we can completely turn against him and say he ruined everything and we "couldn't believe we bought into all the hype".

....then he magically gets reelected for four more years and in 2018 takes us to the semifinals. :D

10. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Have you ever asked yourself why a rich superstar with an American wife would prefer to stay away from Euro club commitments when he doesn't need the money or the headaches.

You must be one of those guys who spent 2 years ragging on Klinsi before the 2006 Cup, complaining about everything he did, like keeping his family in Southern California, and commuting; to changing training methods; to dumping aging superstars like Kahn; while Klinsi endured years of abuse from the know-it-alls like you....who then all ate their words when world cup 2006 was huge popular success and die Mannschaft - played well in an exciting, aggressive style. Then immediately got mad again at Klinsi when he declined to renew for another term with Die Mannschaft, and took the Bayern gig instead, which is both most popular and most hated team in Germany.

Then when he got to FC Hollywood and the grumpy underperforming superstars didn't want to meet Klinsi's expectations, and were backed up by back-stabbers Hoeness and Beckenbauer who were still mad that Klisnmann's success with 2006 World Cup made them all look like blathering idiots, you piled on when team was just a couple points from firts place. Great you gotwhatsis name who they canned a little over a year later.

And, now many Germans still resent their star preferring Southern California over Germany.

And back when he was a club player scoring buckets of goals in Germany, UK, Italy - he beat your favorite teams.

And then when he was starting striker and won a world cup as a player...you rooted for the guy who never made the squad.

We feel your pain; but don't care. Not our problem. Aufwiedersehen!

2 people repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are great questions.
    I feel like just the fact that a new coach is there will light a fire under all the players. It should at least. That's why there needs to be a new coach every cycle.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great goal, but a ludicrous expectation. Prepare to be disappointed.
    He can't clone players. He can improve how they are used and marginally help them get better, but that's it. The US is pretty correctly ranked 30th right now. You could argue we should be in the low 20s, but arguing for a top 4 is just crazy.
    I'm not sure how short a leash he'll have with fans in the first year or so. Once qualifying starts, perhaps, but he's got a lot to learn about CONCACAF qualifying and refs and diving and crazy fans etc by then. That kind of crap doesn't happen (at least not the same way) in Europe.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Have you ever asked yourself why Lothar Matthäus does not get a decent job ? Its not that both just dont need the money. Both dont get offers at all. Both are just not good enough to coach a decent European side. :rolleyes:
    * I was one of the guys who´s been supporting Klinsis and Jogis approach from the beginning. In 2004 I was in Berlin at the 1-1 vs Brazil.
    * No one. NO ONE calls it "die Mannschaft". Its called "die Nationalelf".
    * I was one of those guys who got excited on the new aggressive, offensive style. I even bought the 2006 red away jersey which JK has chosen to be red cause in his mind red is the most aggressive color.
    * I got rid of this excitement about Klinsi when I saw that Jogi did an even better job after that and it got obvious that he not Klinsi has been responsible for the success.
    * Klinsi taking the Bayern job was the best thing could happen from my point of view, cause as you may see I dislike the dark side so 2009 has been a really great year.
    * In fact no one cared about him the last two years until now he got hired recently.
    * In the old days when he used to play against my teams he has not won a single game. :D

Yeah Im sorry for interrupting your dream with facts. But surely there´ll be one day you´ll be thinking of "den Griff ins Klo" and the guy who told you so.

deuteronomy repped this.
  15. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, we'll be sure to look you up in a few years then. Until then thanks for stopping by...

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense.

But it doesn't matter, since Klinsmann will coach the US to victory in the 2014 World Cup, upsetting the home team Brazil, who by the way, doesn't even have to qualify.

Actually, we'll be lucky to qualify this time around, unless the Wizard of Stuttgart does some serious coaching.;)

17. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think we will be "lucky" to qualify??? We played and looked like complete crap in the GC this Summer and still made the final. Sure it's possible we could stumble in the semifinal group (Mexico almost did last time) but do you really think the USMNT would be "lucky" to get out of the hex?

The USMNT definitely has it's problems that need to be addressed but they are still a firm #2 in the region, come on.

EDIT: I may have missed any sarcasm, if so, my bad.

18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I'm good with what has transpired in the last two days for the USSF. While I give Bradley successful marks for his tenure, it was time to make a move in the end Klinnsmann needs time to develop players bc, let's face it, we will not be beating Mexico with any tactical changes.

One of the best parting shots by Bradley was bringing Adu back into the fold. Say what you want but he has raw ability to become a game-changer with his dribbling skill if he can get his head on straight. Then you do right by guys like Holden and Agudelo and we could then be back up in the top 15. But it's going to be years folks, before we see what this vision that Klinnsmann has been wanting to bring here. Whatever the scope of Klinnsmanns marching orders are, developing players has to be at the top of the list, followed by bringing a more sophisticated attacking style to the US national team. That's systematic from the top on down to the youth teams. In which case we won't know results for several years. I'm cautiously optimistic.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I would just like to point out that the US did NOT - in fact - hire a foreign coach :D

20. AEK21

AEK21 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    immigrants are a gateway drug

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Mexcio, Costa Rica, and Honduras were all on the other side of the Gold Cup bracket. We didn't have to face any of the top 3 (other) teams in the region to make the final, so I don't think Gold Cup (success?) is a point in our favor.

We only had to beat Jamaica (w/out Cummings) and Panama (who already beat us once in that tournament) to get the finals.

Most folks would consider Costa Rica and Honduras to be the teams we will have to compete with for spots 2, 3, and 3.5. Throw in Panama, Jamaica, T&T, and El Salvador as the other teams likely to make the Hex (sorry Canada and Guatemala).

In all, we got crushed by Mexico (best team in CONCACAF), split with Panama (probably 5th best), beat Jamaica (around 6th-10th), and didn't play Costa Rica or Honduras (2nd-4th). Plus, in the last Hex, we were behind IN EVERY GAME vs. Costa Rica, Honduras, and El Salvador.

Just saying, I don't know where the confidence comes from around here.

22. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Probably bc the US has qualified (leaving out '94 as hosts) for 5 straight WCs with worse teams, at times, than we have right now. I'm seriously not incredibly worried about Honduras or Costa Rica. Even when our best athletes go to other sports we still have more depth than either of those two countries. We may be at a low-water point but we have every right to have expectations of being the top two in CONCACAF or something is seriously amiss.

23. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is wrong with you

24. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
  25. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy