New Coach Flash: Bombard them with emails

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by timed_out, Jul 21, 2004.

1. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

both Pia & April are gays, aren't they ? i said it in the nice possible way.

2. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    Whether they are, or are not, this really isn't a good discussion topic for a public forum. So hopefully people will refrain from comment on it.

What *IS* ironic is that they look almost like sisters!

3. j&bontherock

Sorry.

4. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Ok. I'll live with the flames. Why shouldn't this be discussed? IF (and it's a big if - I have no idea) they have a relationship that effects team or coach selections it ought to be fair game.

Sven shagged a secretary at the FA and it's turning into a major row - and there's NO discussion that there was any impact on him or the national team.

I think it's a disservice to everyone to walk on eggshells around this topic when it can impact the success of the team. Also, we ought to be confident enough in Ape to feel she picked Pia because of her knowledge of the international game rather than any other factor - and with no information to the contrary why not give Ape the benefit of the doubt?

5. j&bontherock

What's wrong with falling in love with someone in the administration ? I think the English FA just trying to make a mountain out of a mole....So, i think it will be ok too if indeed, AH & Pia is having some kind of relationship ?

6. Jack17

Jack17 New Member

Jul 22, 2004

From Mike Silvers SI column

And while we're still in a bad mood
    April Heinrichs, be sure to make the most of your Olympic experience. Were you the coach of any other national soccer squad, let alone the most talented and experienced women's team in the world, you would have been fired after the U.S.'s confounding performance in a World Cup semifinal defeat to Germany last summer -- if not before. My advice: Get out of the way and let Julie Foudy, Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Joy Fawcett, Kristine Lilly and company bail you out one last time. Also, don't feel compelled to play anyone who might have been especially (and illogically) complimentary towards you while serving as a World Cup TV analyst.

7. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Whoa--ouch for April--and too funny! Thank you Mike Silvers.

8. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Actually, if I can reply to myself here; coming back and reading the SI comment again, well, it's not so funny if I really think about it. It's depressing. Silvers says nationally what many 'BS' posters have said for months (including Mitts bashing, which doesn't really seem fair.) I was ok with all the gripping about April here in 'BS', but it's different when a national columnist does it. I don't want an affermation that we are right--that April sucks.

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pia Sundhage is a very observent coach who sees players for what they are and doesn't try to mold them into something different. Her tenure with the Breakers was a pleasure to watch. She took a group of talented players that underacheived with Jay Hoffman and turned them into a consistent winner. The lineup and style changed game to game as the demands of the opponent and player availability dictated.

Money changes everything. Pia enjoyed her time in the USA and I am sure that scouting for the USWNT pays more than coaching in Sweden.

10. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    ill put this here

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...aulk/index.html

11. j&bontherock

But, do we really need to hire forign coach when there're bunch of coaches and experience veteran players here in US ?

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that foreign coach is better than the others, I'd say, "YES !!!".

Sundhage was a top flight international player through the '95 WWC. She has experience coaching professional teams and international youth teams. There aren't too many folks with that kind of resume.

13. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    After 2006, why don't they just hire Bruce Arena.
    Unless he wins the cup, he will more then likely be replaced by Bradley.

It would be new blood and he would have any attachments.

14. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    I second that!

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again, How about Chris Petrucelli? He is a proven college coach with a NCAA Championship with Notre Dame, has done very well with Texas, is a good judge of talent as you can tell by his former players who have gone further like Boxx, Grubb, Mcgraff, Beene, etc. and he has lots of connections and now a Nordic Cup Championship.
    What do you think?

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From today's USA Today:

Heinrichs' work draws praise
    By Kelly Whiteside

SWEET!!!!

Enter stage right the never ending parade of Heinrichs haters.

17. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    (Cue Poachin_Goalz entry from stage right)

P_G : "To fire Heinrichs or not to fire Heinrichs, that is the question."

(Poachin_Goalz picks up USAToday and reads Heinrichs article to a stunned and disbelieving audience)

(Poachin_Goalz gags)

(Audience laughs hysterically until they consider the fact that Heinrichs may be back after the Olympics at which time mass sobbing ensues. The curtain descends...)

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ape:
    I base success on trophies. Not "process". :rolleyes:

I can't believe this Bob Contiguglia knob...
    We're doomed. :(

19. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Also from the article:

I'm an April fan. I don't feel some of the criticism she's gotten is warranted."

Contiguglia, who has known Heinrichs since she was 15 when she was a standout player in Littleton, Colo., and he was the president of the Colorado State Youth Association, says Heinrichs has improved the technical level of the women's program at every age level and helped identify and develop younger players such as forward Abby Wambach, the USA's 2003 player of the year, and midfielder Shannon Boxx, who shined in last fall's World Cup in her first stint with the team.

That is funny because April did not want Wambach and the WUSA coaches told her to pick up Boxx. Some evaluator of talent!

20. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Remember, Contigula is an even bigger goof than Ape!

21. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    From the USToday Article: "If you look at the videos of the '99 team, there's no question this (2004 Olympic) team is a better team. Back then we won on athleticism. Now we're winning with skill, with tactics, we're able to shift formations, we can attack from the wings, use wall passes. We couldn't do these things in '99."

This is a horrible article. Only a person who knows absolutely nothing about soccer would write something like this. April has completly removed all the creativity out of the women's game.

The outside backs rarely come up to attack
    They are center backs. The outside backs should be Slaton (healthy) and Reddick - cuz she can do wonderful crossing and outside shooting.

This puts a lot of pressure on the midfielders to stretch the game.
    Lilly is still great, but Foudy can't stretch the field or do much attacking.
    The attacking Mid should break people down 1 v 1 and look for short passes. Thats not Wagner's game, its actually Mia's. Not that she should be moved out of position.

Wambach is a force every game, but it was evident in the world cup that you have a good defender that is good in the air you can stop her. Glad to see he has increased her footskills a bit.

22. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    The outside backs should have speed and the willingness to recover. That would be Rampone and Bivens. Slaton if healthy should be on the left side but I am afraid her career is over. I agree, that article is written by a plant.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a potted plant. :cool:

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rampone- very good defender, but speed-I don't think so.
    Bivens- Not bad either. I've never seen her zoom down the line. And recover quickly- sometimes questionable.
    Mitts- Not saying she should start, but very fast and able to recover quickly.

25. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Rampone and Bivens are perhaps the two fastest on the back line. Rampone is very fast and Bivens never gives up so you don't have to worry about her covering the field. Mitts has been so out of position, especially in the Australia game, it is hard to determine what she can do.