New Blog for American Rugby

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Creed, May 18, 2011.

1. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big donor would be nice, but more importantly we need corporate sponsorship. I wonder if anyone knows a minimum figure USA Rugby needs in order to fully fund all the systems it has put in place so far. I don't mean a pro league or national 7s series, but Rookie Rugby, All national 15s and 7s teams etc.

2. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  3. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If/when Melville goes who do you see taking his place?

Also good to hear about the June Test window each. NM advised on his blog that each June the Eagles will play 1 match against at Tier 1 nation, series versus Canada and a match again 1 more international side.

The November window will be a tour to Europe. Just hope that we don't book any games versus A sides. I would rather play Georgia, Romania, Russia and Saracens then an A side game.

4. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I think that Dan Lyle would most likely take his place. He has built up commercially successful 7's events in Las Vegas and for college. He is a legend of U.S. rugby and would make the most sense.

Video Kevin Swiryn

5. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NM is now saying it was a misunderstanding. Would love to see DL in the role, but would he take it? IMHO USA Rugby would have to develop into a bit more of a professional organization before DL would take the role.

6. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Dan Lyle or Luke Goss will be Nigels eventual replacement.

I really like Yankee Rob's idea of a yearly series against Canada. Its almost already there with the Churchill Cup. Have a game in Vancouver and a game in SF or Denver as a home-and-home series. Expand on the current rivalry.

I have been lamenting for years the fact that our team has the following....
    1/ someone born overseas, raised overseas with a US parent.
    2/ someone born in the USA to foreign parents, then raised overseas
    3/ someone born and raised overseas who moves here as a young kid/man.

The above should be a nice-to-have, not the foundation of the national team. We need homegrown talent, not some guy (ie 1/Tim Usasz, 2/Mike Hercus or 3/Hayden Smith) who is developed somewhere else.

7. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I don't mind that we have those players. They are still American, we are a melting pot. I can see where you are coming from though. We should be able to develop our own players who are good enough of making it to the national team. I think we are doing more and more of that. Still, I think a key part of that transition is having these guys who have overseas experience come in and teach youngsters the tricks of the trade. If we are going to rely soley on American born and raised players to learn the game then we'll never catch up.

8. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It just makes sense. Give the Eagles something to play for. What better then pride and bragging rights for the best team in North America. We only have to look at ice hockey, lacrosse and even soccer to see that the rivalry can be intense. It is a simple format that would be perfect for TV, sponsors and fans.

Yes I would agree. Our funds should be going into youth, high school and college rugby. Unfortunately up until a few years back our player development consisted of converting college football players to rugby and importing players off your list. Lets just hope that Rookie Rugby, SBROs, the CPD, CRC etc. pay off in the future.

9. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    So, I've been working on my blog for a little while now and I was hoping to get some feedback from people. If you have viewed my blog, tell me what you think, what I do well, what I can improve upon, etc? If you need a link to the blog here it is.

10. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great blog....really enjoying it! Keep up the good work. The only thing I would say is I am having trouble leaving comments. For some reason It keeps asking me to log in, even after I have already logged in.

11. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks for the comments! Hopefully I have fixed the comment problem.

12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Creed.....love the blog.

We need to get the word out. Rugby is a fantastic game and we play it at a good level here.

Keep up the good work.