New Blog for American Rugby

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Creed, May 18, 2011.

1. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    http://eaglerugby.blogspot.com/

Check it out, it's a new blog about the Eagles 15's and 7's team. It will follow overseas players with video highlights and interviews.

2. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  3. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  4. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great find Creed! Please keep us posted with the happenings of the Eagles 7s and XVs squads.

This Spring and Summer we have the last two 7s tournaments of the IRB Sevens World Series, College Rugby Championship, College Premier Division finals, Churchill Cup, World Cup warmup matches and finally the World Cup in NZ. All these matches should be on NBC/Universal Sports/Versus or ESPN.

5. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  6. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  7. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  8. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I really am pissed off!

http://www.rugbymag.com/index.php?o...old-off-usa&catid=43:age-grade-men&Itemid=192

Russia U20s Hold Off USA

The USA U20s staged a comeback but it wasn’t quite enough as the Junior All Americans fell 42-36 to Russia in Saturday’s Junior World Rugby Trophy pool match at Avchala Stadium in Tbilisi, Georgia on May 28.

The Junior All Americans put up a spirited fight, had some good offensive possessions and put up over 30 points, but the Russians simply executed the basics well and showed greater discipline.

Russia got on the board first after a penalty was called against USA for hands in the ruck and scrumhalf German Godlyuk slotted the penalty from 22 meters out to make it 3-0 four minutes into the match.

The USA had a chance to respond as their forwards started gaining ground in the Russia half, but nothing came of it when the ball was dropped forward and Russia was awarded the scrum. Russia got the penalty when the USA forwards engaged early and used the quick tap to take the ball into the US half. Russian fullback Denis Simplikevich was tackled into touch, giving the Junior All Americans a lineout on their own 10-meter line. Russia stole the ball but knocked it on, giving the USA another opportunity to attack from the scrum. However after a few phases, referee Tui Komiti called USA off sides and Russia opted for a shot at goal. Godlyuk again made the kick to put Russia up 6-0.

The Russians had their way in the set pieces all match, especially the scrums. When the USA was awarded a scrum after a Russia knock on, their pack was driven back and the ball squirted out the back. The USA managed to relieve the pressure with a kick, but it was just the beginning of a long match for the USA forwards.

Russia’s next score came when they stole the USA’s lineout and marched the ball into USA territory. The USA got their hands on the ball but knocked on almost immediately and Russia’s pack secured the ball well in the scrum. They worked the ball out to the backs and worked their way past the US 22-meter line. Despite some determined tackling from the Junior All Americans, Simplikevich picked the ball off the ruck, shrugged off a tackler, and touched down in the try zone. Godlyuk made the conversion and it was 13-0 in Russia’s favor.

The USA was awarded a penalty right off the kickoff after Russia was called for diving over, but their first chance at securing some points came to nothing after fullback Joe Cowley’s kick hit off the right post.

However, Russia gave the USA another chance after they knocked the ball on in their own half. Their scrum was pressured but they managed to get the ball out to the backs, where flyhalf and captain Will Magie passed the ball out wide to winger Madison Hughes, who cut past one defender before being brought to ground where he popped the ball up to scrumhalf Michael Oliver. Oliver ran in the last five meters for the score and Cowley made the conversion, bringing the score to 13-7.

Russia did not give the USA any time to celebrate, chasing well off the kickoff and recovering the ball. Godlyuk picked the ball off the ruck and ran deep into the US half before being pressured and passing to Simplikevich, who sprinted in the last 22 meters for his second try. Godlyuk continued his solid performance and slotted the conversion. Russia led by 13 with just over 10 minutes to go in the half.

After a few good runs in the Russia half, a penalty was called against Russia and Cowley landed his kick at goal, reducing Russia’s lead to 10.

Frustration started to show on both sides. A hard tackle by a USA player forced the ball loose and another penalty was called against Russia, a fight broke out and Komiti yellow-carded Russia’s loosehead prop, Alexey Skobiola, who threw punches at USA’s Bubba Jones.

Russia managed to hold on with only 14 men and the half ended after they were penalized in the lineout, the score standing at 20-10.

Early in the second half, another knock on by the USA landed Russia another scrum, which they won and fed the ball wide to Simplikevich who glided through the defense to complete his hat trick. Godlyuk slotted the conversion for a 27-10 score line.

The Junior All Americans gained more ground when Russia was penalized in the following scrum and USA utilized the quick tap, offloaded and worked the ball to Jones who sprinted down the right touchline for the try. Cowley made the conversion and they were back within 10 points.

Russia pressured the USA line when they recovered their own kickoff. The Russian backs ran hard lines to edge closer to the try zone, but the ball was turned over and Jones ran it into Russia territory before passing to Hughes for a length-of-the-field try. With the conversion made, the Junior All Americans were just three points away from tying the game.

Russia then camped out in the USA half, earning a penalty when the USA collapsed a scrum. Russia opted to reset and secured the ball, driving towards the line, but the ball was held up in the try zone.

Further indiscipline by the USA gave Russia another penalty, which they quick tapped. The forwards worked a few phases keeping the ball in hand and eventually flanker Nikolay Pochechuev barged his way over for five points. Godlyuk made his fourth conversion to again widen the gap to 10 points.

In the ensuing kickoff, Russia fielded the ball and mauled downfield before knocking on after a few phases. The USA earned a penalty after Russia engaged early in the scrum and the Junior All Americans took the quick tap. The ball was passed left for Cowley to run in and score behind the posts. After Cowley converted his own try, the score was 34-31.

Russia almost scored again after making a break but an errant pass was caught by a trailing USA defender and kicked into touch at the USA 22. The USA managed to earn a penalty and the scrum, but the Russian pack drove them backwards and Godlyuk picked and ran with it before passing to inside center Alexey Vasiliev for the try. Godlyuk missed his only conversion of the day and the score stood at 39-31.

USA kicked off yet again and Russia maintained possession into the USA half. A good diving tackle at the ruck by the US turned the ball over but it was called back for off sides. Godlyuk finished off Russia’s scoring by slotting the penalty.

After the USA managed to force some pressure on the Russian line, Russia picked up a loose ball and kicked downfield. With time running out, the US took a quick lineout and earned another penalty, kicking to touch to set up a lineout inside the Russian 22. USA won the lineout and edged ever closer to the try zone, but Russia showed that they could match their impressive offense with a stout defense, tackling hard and keeping the USA forwards out of their zone. It was only when the ball was kicked out to Hughes on the left wing that the USA scored. Hughes darted for the line and was tackled but showed great awareness before being pushed into touch to pop the ball up to Magie who scored. Cowley missed the conversion, leaving the score at 42-36.

The final kickoff of the game came as time expired and instead of running the ball from deep, USA kicked it back. Luckily, USA was gifted another chance when Russia knocked it on and USA got the scrum. But as Russia did all match, their pack pushed the USA forwards off their own ball before it was kicked into touch and Komiti sounded the fulltime whistle.

USA now stands at fourth in Pool A with two losses and only two points. Their next match is against Uruguay at 6 a.m. EST on Wednesday, June 1.

But that wasn’t enough. With possession precious the USA kicked it away once and lost it in a scrum the other time, and Godlyuk gleefully kicked the ball to touch to end the match. It was a game of contrasts, where Russia’s forwards bulled their way into the USA half and camped there, while the Americans defended doggedly, but not always in perfect unison.

The USA U20s produced several tries of true beauty, and didn’t give up, but in the end, fullback Simplikevich and scrumhalf Goldyuk provided just enough magic to counter the USA attack.

Russia 42
    Tries: Simplikevich 3, Pochechuev, Vasiliev
    Convs: Godlyuk 4
    Pens: Godlyuk 3

USA 36
    Tries: Oliver, Jones, Hughes, Cowley, Magie
    Convs: Cowley 4
    Pens: Cowley

Russia
    1 Alexey Skobiola
    2 Stanislav Sel'skiy (C)
    3 Yuri Matveev
    4 Alexander Galitskiy
    5 Ruslan Shirinov
    6 Nikolay Pochechuev
    7 Vitaly Zhivatov
    8 Yuri Vengerov
    9 German Godlyuk
    10 Leonid Yamschikov
    11 Alexander Razumov
    12 Alexey Vasiliev
    13 Evgeny Kornev
    14 Alexander Tolmachev
    15 Denis Simplikevich
    16 Artem Chechura (43-46 mins)
    17 Alexey Kosobochkin (42 mins)
    18 Alexander Berzin
    19 Sergey Stepanov
    20 Maksim Martysh
    21 Denis Kukishev
    22 Sergey Nikutschenko (63 mins)

USA
    1 OJ Auimatagi
    2 Drew Ohmann
    3 Paul Mullen
    4 Pat Coleman
    5 Dan Metcalf
    6 Tim O'Hara
    7 Tyler Black
    8 Vake Sanft
    9 Michael Oliver
    10 Will Magie (C)
    11 Madison Hughes
    12 Bubba Jones
    13 Will Farrell
    14 Apelu So'oalo
    15 Joe Cowley
    16 Patrick Latu (45 mins)
    17 Chuck Koehler (33 mins)
    18 Sean Carley
    19 Mike Juszczak (58 mins)
    20 Mike Durant
    21 Conor Mills
    22 Jake Fallon

10. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't expect us to do this bad in the U20 Trophy. Any ideas on how to improve or is it a matter of just letting some of the new systems settle in and take hold?

11. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I think it is a matter of playing time. Most of these other nations have their players playing together in academies against some good competition, we don't. Most of our team gets together only for this tournament. Some on the team play for University teams in England and have only visited the states on holiday.

I am not surprised by the result. I think we need to continue to improve the college game in the U.S.A. and establish professional outlets for those players.

12. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with you. Seems a recurring problem with all our 15/7s national teams. We have the athletes, stadiums and broadcasters, we just need the investment from the sponsors.

A professional league would be great, but for the moment (as you stated above) investment in youth/high school and college rugby is the foundation we need. I believe the U20 and HS All Americans are suppose to have a camp over the Christmas break and during the summer, but due to lack of funds this has been a problem. These players should be coming off a tough season straight into an All American camp and then into a series with Canada or New Zealand HS/College sides twice a year. If this happens year after year then we may see an improvement.

13. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  14. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would love to win the CC (I know keep dreaming), I think it is a wise move to give some of our more experienced players a rest and others a chance to get test rugby experience.

15. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I think they should but out the strongest team (minus those off the CC roster). They only have 6 warm-up matches before the World Cup and the biggest problem for the U.S. is the lack of playing time together. They need to be playing together a lot over the next few months.

Opening Kick

U20's update

16. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I can see your point. It is the same problem we have with all the age grade national teams....lack of time together each year in a competitive international season.

I have always been in favour of a series with Canada each season followed by playing a touring side for a designated trophy. For example bringing in Samoa or Georgia and have them tour California ending with a two game series in the Bay Area. These proposed comps could be the foundation for our international season each year.

17. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
  18. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, the fact that our system is completely funded by private money is a double edged sword. Our journey is going to take a lot longer then countries, like Russia, China and Canada, that get government funds to help run their programs. I read an article a while back about rugby in Russia...apparently as soon as the Olympic announcement was made every school had a rugby program. Over night 8 of Russia's top League clubs changed to rugby union. How do you compete with that?!

We have a couple investors putting money into 7s. The USA Sevens LLC is developing two great tournaments in the Las Vegas 7s and CRC and hopefully William Tatham Jr. will at some point put together his national 7s series. A 15s competition will be a longer road, but in the mean time USA Rugby and it's investors should think about putting together their own version of Soccer United Marketing. Promote and Market certain domestic and international competitions and bring international and club sides over to the US to compete against each other and the Eagles.

However going back your orginal point the US age grade teams need a sponsor such as the National Guard, Navy Seals or RugbyMag.com to fund there camps and competitions each year. What ever happened to the National Guard?

19. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I thought the National Guard renewed their sponsorship but I could be wrong. But even with that sponsorship, it wouldn't be enough to fund the U20's. TV is the answer. Rugby is made for it and if USA Rugby should sign even a minimal TV contract they would be in heaven.

Opening Kick

Eagle's Abroad Weekend Preview, TV Listings

20. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the NG sponsorship lasped, but still exists on a state level for some SBROs. Don't know much about the sponsoship details past the free kits, but it may have gone a long way towards helping the CPD teams.

I agree about selling TV rights. Maybe USA Rugby could do a deal with NBC Universal to show some Eagles Test matches. An annual series with Canada may be a good place to start.

21. Creed

Creed New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I know ESPN has showed U.S.A.-Canada before but I'm not sure how that would work now with Universal Sports. We just need a big donor to come in a help out.

Opening Kick

U20 Highlights vs. Uruguay