Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Which Economist article are we supposed to read, the one on frigid Germany or the one on panspermia?

I though we had gotten past lebensraum.

2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  3. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    7th defeat in the House Of Lords for the government over the withdrawal bill :D

Taking back control never felt so good :cool:

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When Harry Potter becomes Harald Töpfer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the 23rd June it'll be 2 years since the brexit vote and we're not much further along than we were when started. It's laughable.

My guess is my lot will end up with an EEA-lite position of some flavour but we'll see, Of course, we could have done that 2 years ago but there we are :(

7. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I find it hard to even guess what will happen these days such is the shambles that is Brexit.

I think the Tories have painted themselves into such a corner with their red lines and with Rees-Mogg and his mates trying to claim ownership of the word democracy that no matter what we now do there will be a serious chunk of the country left very unhappy

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I personally cant wait for a Norway/Switzerland like agreement where EU bureaucrats will force you guys to deposit mph and all imperial units on the rubbish dump of history. Utopia would be that you might even have to learn how to drive on the correct (right) side.

btw in the next couple of years you're not going to win anything in this either

[​IMG]

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just watching Julia Hartley-Brewer on Sunday Politics and, although she wants the opposite of what 'remainers' want, I agree with her when she says that to stand any chance of getting a deal May has to just pick a damned side.

But, obviously, if she picks Rees-Mogg's side she then stands no chance of getting it through parliament.

The plain truth is that she should accept some sort of EEA-style arrangement even if it's not exactly that because of the problems around it with the border in NI and other issues.

But, for whatever reason, I suspect she won't do that and will probably be dragged, kicking and screaming, to that position... OR she'll be forced from office and replaced by a more hardline tory like Gove or BoJo who will try, (and fail), to push a hardline brexit through the comons, (so leaving the SM and IM with nothing to replace them), because of those 'uppity furriners' and saboteurs among the tories and labour, liberal and SNP.

As you say, precisely how it will all happen isn't known yet but the bottom line is that the commons HASN'T got a majority for a massively risky move to a hardline brexit and they've already made the decision that it's not up to the executive to have the final say.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a United Ireland, finally

11. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Suggestions in some parts of the written media that we will have enother General Election in the autumn. The Conservatives really desperately don't want to be in power.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

'Another one???' :D

It is something of a poisoned chalice atm, being in charge.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seamus Mallon had it right, though. If they try and push things too quickly it would be disastrous.

I don't think a united Ireland is achievable for the time being. What might be is some sort of loose federation where the different parts have competencies over some things but not others.

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should look into some interviews with German politicians and people during the time of 88-89. If you told them there would be reunification by October 1990 they would have laughed right into your face. But yes, they need to get everyone on board for this and a federal structure could be the way to do it. Problem is the people on your islands do not possess that much experience with federalism. Devolution is historically speaking a young matter. But they hate each other more in Belgium, speak different languages so why shouldnt the Irish be able to make it function?

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be clear, nobody on the left in England gives a shit about Ireland... never have done.

The people who DO are the protestants in northern Ireland, (who are mostly batshit crazy from what I can tell), and some of the right-wingers over here who like them because they give them their votes.

Don't forget, it's the DUP that's propping up the tories atm, as they have done before.

I would LOVE it if the DUP took their votes and buggered off :D

But, as Mallon says, for the southern Irish, (and particularly the EU), there are severe dangers in that thinking. To try and cause a division in a place that's suffered thousands of deaths in terrorist atrocities so as to get a slightly better trade deal is pretty appalling.

The EU needs to be careful what it wishes for... it might get it.

crazypete13 repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    EU Withdrawal Bill back in The Commons on Tuesday

It's going to be a very big and very interesting day

18. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    The protest march on 27th June is sounding like it really could be pretty big too

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok I will come out of the closet and admit it:

I love Michel Barnier!

20. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Loads of emails uncovered showing communications and meetings arranged between Aaron Banks and Russian officials for Leave.eu

Doubt very much it will ever happen but would love to see charges brought against the self serving non patriots like Farage, Banks, Oakshot etc

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The bigwigs at Leave.EU have got their top investigators on the case and have already found the culprit... :)

It seems to be a fella by the name of A. Banks...

Er... hang on... that name sounds familiar? :eek:

:giggle:

22. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Banks being "interviewed" by Farage on LBC is a bit like Bonnie interviewing Clyde so he can get his side of the story across.

Also turns out that they blocked Carole Cadwalladr's number from calling, so she used a friend to dial in with a question. Didn't go down well for some reason.

23. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Banks also tried to deny he'd been to Russia in February

Turns out he forgot how Visas work

And that people can read

1006046449665282053 is not a valid tweet id

M and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, you notice how he's claiming 'they got the date wrong' and whether he was there 'to visit his Russian in-laws'. Like, who gives a shit whether he was there in Feb or March and why would we be interested if he was also visiting his in-laws... like that would STOP him also seeing other people.

I mean, he's probably also bullshitting about all that as well, but... :D

25. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Concessions given to remainer MP's, claims the government tricked some yesterday, other claims May screwed up and the Irish border vote yesterday has locked them into the Single Market

Listening to a radio call right now with a hard brexit fan as presenter and he is questioning whether we should call it all off now.

Maybe (probably) I am getting way ahead of myself but it feels like the wheels are about to fall off in spectacular fashion