Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If by 'We' you mean ze germans.... yeah, you do that a lot, you fellas :eek: ;)

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As Scotland does 80% of it's trade with England, (so a lot of will end up coming back down here), I'm liking the thinking ;)

Not gonna be 60Bn though.

3-4 years at our current spend works out to about 30-40 so that might be a goer, depending on what we get in return. If we don't get anything then, to coin a phrase, you can whistle for it ;)

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol you tried to move alot of london to frankfurt while we were in europe now we will just allie with your enemies in asia against you.

you are just the next stage in the Holy Roman Empire and I want nothing to do with you.

6. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you wont be getting anything like that lol why should we pay you money for stuff we are not going to have access to lol

7. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thats the thing these euro idiots want us to pay for stuff that we wont have access to anymore lol just go world trade and tarriff anything german, that should do it as we know the EU was essentially Paid for by Germany and Britain was the Reserve

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " a lot "

Your nationalists purport to have invented the language. Learn it.

charlie15 repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think everyone recognises we will continue to pay for any transition period and, additionally, in those areas in which we continue to cooperate.

The 'let's just go world trade' line, whilst emotionally attractive, is likely to be extremely problematic. I mean, for them as well... but also for us, not least in northern Ireland.

The problem with the EU asking us to pay a 'divorce bill' is that there is no real legal basis for it. Interestingly, there was until the Lisbon treaty when the famous 'Article 50' was introduced. Prior to that it simply wasn't possible to leave the EU as there was no provision in the various treaties so we were stuck with it. Of course, you could simply stop attending the meetings as the French had done previously when they weren't getting their own way, (the so-called 'Empty Chair' period in the 60's), and not paying your dues... but you couldn't actually leave.

Lisbon introduced the provision to leave but nobody thought a large country which paid money IN to the EU would do it. By the looks of it they obviously only envisaged a 'small' country leaving where the issue of a divorce bill wasn't relevant.

So I suspect, for practical considerations, we will continue to pay some money to them BUT, obviously, they'll have to continue to work with us in many areas and not jerk us around on trade and customs.

Don't forget, apart from anything, the money we send them actually goes mostly to the poorer accession countries and southern Europe, a proportion of which comes back to us in the way of additional trade and trained technicians, doctors, nurses, etc. etc. etc.

Although the daily hate-mail loves to portray the money the EU gets as wasted on bureaucracy that's always been bullshit for the troglodytes who are too fecking dumb to know the difference.

10. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I shall do as I please as I am a free man, and you certainly do not speak for me, especially in that horrible kill yourself brummie accent.:ROFLMAO:

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In two years you won't be free to cross the Chunnel any time you wish. Let's dispense with that nonsense.

charlie15 repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Ismitje and American Brummie repped this.
  13. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it will be no worse then an american going to canada lol at you.

14. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    reported you if you wanna go at it pm me I will gladly crush you...............for albion!

FOR ALBION

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. It sucks. It's an hour long wait or worse at the border.

charlie15 repped this.
  16. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    looking forward to the usual soundbite laden robotic speech we will get to 'enjoy' on Friday from May when she announced that we need a 'deep and special relationship' with the EU (yeah, we know ffs!). Still, Boris threatening to resign is one bit of good news.

charlie15 and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the guy isn't trying to get himself sacked so he can snipe from the sidelines, (AKA 'Playing to his strengths;), he's giving a bloody good impression of someone who is.

BTW, did you notice this in the grauniad from Anushka Asthana?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...boris-johnson-from-political-honey-to-marmite

She's been filling in on the daily politics recently. She's OK but she's not as polished as Neil and JoCo.

A good journo, though.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF?..... Is that a reincarnation of jamie B'more? o_O
    What a load of crap.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Self-bump

20. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you germans are too busy funding most of the EU, and you dont have the capability to harm us anymore then we can harm you

21. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nope fact lol at the yank

22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:...

LorneMarvello repped this.
  23. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You Love it!

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    911240206115799042 is not a valid tweet id

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41355642

The speech was broadly welcomed by pro-EU Conservative MPs Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry, but pro-Brexit former cabinet minister Owen Paterson expressed concern about a two-year period during which "we are still bound in by European rules".

If she's pissing off the pro-brexit crowd and people like Clarke a Soubry are sounding happier it's probably a good sign but the real problem is the tories can't agree between themselves what they want.