Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the okay comes from the top party brass, I doubt it'll have legs. What you need is a few Labour candidates in the South and a few LibDems in the North to come out at a press conference and agree to stand down, give cover to their less courageous comrades.

2. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Yea good analogy! Lol i always viewed UKIP as the Tories on steroids the fact that they tried to be "populist" is hilarious but i then remembered xenophobia, crude racism and Islamophobia is nothing to laugh about. I do think Labour and to a lesser extent the Conservatives left a void in the 2000s and ignored pressing issues like immigration, wealth inequality, stagnation and healthcare insecurity. Unfortunately a demagogue like Farage and his misfit party of bigots then took advantage of all this angst and seething discontent for their own advantage. The Tories seemed to capture the entire UKIP vote in 2017 GE so I can see Brexiters tactically voting Tory to get them into the majority.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election...l&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_politics

This is the kind of bullshit that drives voters away from Jeremy Corbyn.

Completely unforced error. Totally unnecessary to bring up. Why does he do this shit? It's terrible polling, terrible politics, unenforceable policy (how many British SpecForces do the UK have in Northern Syria right now, anyway?), and offers Boris Johnson an opportunity to deflect from his troubles.

If you're in the minority, you offer everything the electorate wants at zero cost and attack the incumbent for every perceived failure. Do literally nothing else.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Looks like there's been some legal battle over the title of Lord Buckethead.

Love the line about Chuka.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hold on - what did he say that was so wrong?

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He jumped in a tank and put on a helmet, so to speak. He meandered on a question about the death penalty, in other words.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

By contrast, THIS is how you do it. Offer free universal broadband. It won't happen - laying fiber optic in North Wales or the Highlands sounds insanely difficult - but this is how you make pledges as an opposition party.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you lie.

I mean, based on Trump getting elected, it works.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a lie if they want to do it and intend to spend money to do it. The Scottish Highlands and North Wales are a bit...rural, even by US standards, but Labour seems to genuinely want to do this. Trump never intended to build his wall.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Get your money for nothing and your chicks for free....

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I seem to remember it being said that the US special forces intention was to grab the guy. It was only the fact that he blew himself up that stopped them.

Actually, of course, he answered the same question about OBL when he was killed and answered it in the same way...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...a-bin-laden-should-have-been-tried-not-killed

I didn't hear the latest interview but I'm guessing he was asked the same question precisely to get the same answer.

The problem is that some people are allowed to avoid a question and get away with it and some aren't...

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is fairly safe to say that capturing al-Baghdadi and OBL alive was more in the "nice to have" compared to getting the intel and removing them as the head of the organization.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was my thinking as well but that's a different issue to whether it's some sort of ludicrous, madcap idea to capture these guys and either put them on trial or to try and extract information from them... that's obviously not the thinking of the US military.

So for Corbyn to say it would have been preferable isn't some sort of appalling blunder.

Well, unless the US military don't know what the hell they're doing.

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    1195307972018286593 is not a valid tweet id

Includes the entire Conservative party.

15. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    So weird how things have flipped in British politics but that's how politics works the pendulum swings so fast. I remember coming up in college and remember Blair and his NL boys destroying the Tories in a 3rd straight election in 2005 and visiting family there and them gleefully saying the Tories were done as a major political party and could not win a majority since 1992 blahs blah. Then a recession hits and the Iraq war worsens (which the conservatives voted for) and the Tories gain quickly in ascescendary now Labour looks moribund particularly in England. I think Leadership is a a telling difference. The Tories had a terrible leaders in the 00s Hague, IDS, Clark. Now Labour has had poor leaders Brown, Miliband and Corbyn. Seems like Labour has ceded control of England doesn't seem like they can win the majority back.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet the BBC dedicated full-page coverage of it rather than the NHS wait times report.

If you don't do politics, you don't get to do policy.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When he was asked a specific question, what would you have him say? Do a 'Priri Patel'? That's the problem and why the phrase, 'don't do politics' doesn't actually mean anything.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're rather glossing over things there.

The truth is that the GFC didn't just happen, it occurred partly because of the neo-liberal policies of the said Blair and 'noo labur'. Same with the Iraq war.

These things weren't acts of god, imposed on an unsuspecting world... they reflected the policies and thinking of neo-liberal politicians. That's why this 'good or bad at politics' stuff is so witless.

19. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Oh I agree NL Blair-Brown and others neo-liberal policies led to their downfall prehaps there wasnt enough of a contrast with the Conservatives hence it depressed your voting base who felt disconnected from Labour and voiceless. It was a tactical decision very similar to Bill Clinton and the idea of a New Democrat here in 1992. You win but it hurts you identity wise in the long turn.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It was a bit of a lottery who got left holding the baby when the GFC hit because it had little to do with domestic policies.

Like in the UK, in NZ we had a labour government at the time the GFC started causing mayhem in 2008, but of course the crisis was 100% external to NZ

Ditto in the UK - the crisis was a global liquidity crisis that had nothing to do with Gordon Brown. The Tories successfully made the issue about deficits but of course that was BS because they never controlled spending either.

21. What's that again.
    If I should know, I forgot it.

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The world is a better place without ISIS."

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    General financial crisis, (or crash), is the version I've heard used but there are others.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well.... sort of. You're letting the political class in the west off the hook there a bit.

It didn't just happen. It happened because they encouraged it for short term political gain.

Dr. Wankler repped this.