Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A record cocaine shipment turned up in Hamburg port the other day.

Even with goodwill & trust, the idea that there isn't going to be extensive border checks is farfetched, unless an extensive customs arrangement is agreed.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're not in the Schengen zone so we already control that.
    You sound like you're talking about a 'Trusted Trader' scheme. Those aren't in place for exports to/from the EU AFAIK, (other than for ports, not the manufacturers), and, obviously, to establish them requires an agreement between the different states, in this case the UK and the EU... i.e. a DEAL!

This goes to the heart of the matter.
    You get that the whole point of the EU as a trading entity IS to introduce blocks on trade from outside the EU... right? :cautious:

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unless the guy steps forward and claims responsibility, (has that happened?... I don't know), that's my thinking as well.

TBH even the most modest level of information would indicate that his claim that the WTO means you have 6 months to fill out customs documents is fallacious.
    Well, that's what I said as well, isn't it. We can, if we choose, simply wave things through but we're not in charge of our exports, obviously.
    What's interesting, looking back at this debate over the months and years, is that it was ME that pointed out that the EU is a trading block specifically designed to STOP trade or, at least, to reduce it.

That's why I get annoyed when I read stuff about how the EU is trying to free up all trade when that is clearly not the case.

What we're seeing in the debate now is the difference between the 'sales pitch' of the EU, (that they're there to increase trade and to allow anybody to move goods and services back and forth without hindrance), and the reality.... er, NO, they're not actually... they're there to increase trade INSIDE the EU.
    ... or he's just a nutter. That's the other option.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True but that just shows the other factor at play.

That some ports, (and Dover is the major one, obviously), are ports that deal almost entirely with trade inside the EU whilst others, (places like Liverpool and Manchester are the ones I'm familiar with), would historically be connected with trade from outside the EU. Others like Felixstowe would be a mixture of trade routes.

I'm guessing the latter would be like Hamburg.

5. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    :ROFLMAO: You don't know that he's fake any more than I know he's real.

I'm flattered that you're holding me to the standard of an investigative journalist though.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Who ran the port of dover is a matter of public record.

American Brummie repped this.
  7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, you're an idiot. You are using the language of post-truth. Some yahoo claims to be something on YouTube and your default is to trust him only because he aligns with a particular worldview. If I found some other yahoo on YouTube who said you were full of shit, would you also believe that?

Dage repped this.
  8. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That obvious statement is avoiding the point that was argued well before the referendum was won for leave - anyone in the EU who wishes to work, study, or travel in the UK is fundamentally allowed to do so under European law. When you give the people of Europe access to your labour markets then you don't "really" control your borders.
    You're likely right and that attempts to circumvent procedure by the private sector in a no-deal environment might be stopped at gun-point for all we know.

I'm merely suggesting that whether there is a deal or not isn't it expected that European borders will wear under exporter/importer attrition and that will likely result in some sort of compromise? I have a hard time believing that Brussels are going to order ports of entry to turn British freights away and vice versa. Maybe they do it in the beginning to show strength but it's not going to last long, not when European exporters start losing their shirts.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, we're not in the Schengen zone so, yes... we do control them.in terms of people.

You're talking like we're going to have a sort of 'Checkpoint Charlie' arrangement and literally NOBODY is talking about THAT! part from anything that would absolutely destroy the entire UK tourist trade.

Frankly it sounds like you're envisaging us becoming a version of North Korea off the coast of Europe. Y'know... that's not going to happen, is it.
    They usually just shut a gate. Guns aren't required.
    You mean the EU will kindly condescend to allow us to send exports to them, as long as we ask nicely... please... pretty please.

Yes, that sounds like us standing up for ourselves, doesn't it.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    To be fair kiwis know this very well. As a former colony, the entry of the UK into the single market killed our number 1 export partner.

We could no longer compete because the internal farmers were protected

11. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm envisaging something that resembles NAFTA which is fair in terms of how implied status functions without needing visas except when it comes to studying or work.

Ignoring trade for a minute - when I enter a US port of entry I have 6 months of implied status as a tourist without needing a visa. If I'm in violation of implied status whether it be I stay longer than my allotted time or solicit business without permission and/or attempt to enter the US labour market illegally then I'm red-flagged (in Canada we call it an exclusion order for non-residents).

Now before the days of NAFTA most of the provisions ratified in the treaty we have now was a continuation of previous treaties with the exception that previously there wasn't a preset list of professions that were made to be exceptions to the normal process of employers having to sponsor non-residents for work permits (like a lawyer, technologist, researcher being a few of them etc).

Obviously big business is going to continue to export low wage labour out-of-state no matter the outcome in any treaty situation - that's just a reality - but at least if you're in the services industry working in London you won't have to compete with someone from Poland (for example) who paid 1/10th the cost of the education you did.
    I don't know what the EU will or won't do post-no-deal Brexit but anything is better than bending over to technocrats in Brussels.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is completely muppetry as the tweeter points out

e.g. when NZ wants trade deals with India etc - this is what they ALWAYS ask for,

Kiwis and Aussies used to have open access to the UK. This was changed to 2 year working holiday which you could effectively use to get a job, get sponsored and then get on the path to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

it was a good compromise because business got highly qualified workers who mainly would go home again, but talented people could fairly easily hang around if they wanted to. e.g. almost all my mates with professional jobs have UK passports simply by hanging around long enough.

Giving Aussies freedom of movement in the UK I can get behind as a general principle, but what problem is it solving?

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the crux of the case indeed.

At the end of the day i think Scotland got it right.

There must be a point at which abuse of the power is illegal - otherwise the government can close Parliament forever. So that suggests to me that it is justiciable

1174260261932412929 is not a valid tweet id

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boris being destroyed....

superdave and dapip repped this.
  15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He can't do anything without lying.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Corbyn doesn't care about a Labour majority - he's only interested in seeing the Tories destroy themselves and whatever way he can aid to that goal.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love

1. The sheer stupidity of telling that lie with cameras there and
    2. The aides stepping in at the precise moment the citizen catches BoJo with a devastating metaphorical right cross to the jaw.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been watching that over the past couple of days and, at some points, the guys seemed to imply he did accept it was justiciable under certain circumstances. But I thought he was saying that it was a matter of interpretation as to whether the court could involve itself in any specific situation and, in this case, the evidence didn't prove that the government was acting outside it's powers.

The thing is, from what I've seen, the evidence DOES show that Johnson intended all along to shut parliament down, regardless of whether he had cause.

Also, this argument, (that he was also using), that the proper remedy is in the political arena and that parliament had had an opportunity to call an election, (by having a vote of no confidence, say), or to remove Johnson as PM and replace him with Jezza or someone else, rather ignores the fact that parliament doesn't JUST do those things. It has many other functions including debate in the chamber, various committees, etc. etc. all of which hold the government to account. A parliament that JUST slung out the present executive or called another election would be completely ineffective and a waste of space, tbh.

So I can see the argument that it should be assumed that politics should be the first remedy but, if the executive acts in a dishonest manner and specifically tried to avoid scrutiny, the courts should be able to step in... albeit only to say, 'Get back in parliament and sort it out'.

Outside of that, however, I don't like the idea of the courts sticking their noses in... as much as anything because then the parliament will be more inclined to simply change the law so they can't involve themselves. That could lead to all sorts of unforeseen problems.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love the way he's telling the lie... on camera :D

21. This is as funny as that idiot US embassador telling complete lies to the Dutch press.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You have an US embassador of the same kind like we do? xD

23. There are more of them?:ROFLMAO:

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Richard Grenell is as qualified for the job as embessador for Germany like Trump is qualified as US president. Wrong thread, though.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is a lot of dancing around the issue there.

On the one hand the government claims that the Court can never wade into exercise of prerogative (cf statutory powers). But on the other hand I agree under questioning from the bench, they had to concede that in extreme cases it would have to be justiciable.

IMO it is justiciable and the Court looks at whether there has been an abuse of power

But you could frame it that exercise of prerogative is not justiciable. But it is justiciable where the government tries to exercise a prerogative power it does not have. So for e.g. there is no prerogative power to shut down parliament forever.

In some ways this stuff misses the wood from the trees

The Court will find a way to intervene if it wants to.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.