Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @The Jitty Slitter

This is what I was talking about the other day about being part of a customs union...

I suspect the truth is a lot closer to what Ken Clarke is saying than Andrew Neil.

If you're part of a customs union and certainly if you're one of the largest markets in it, the rest of the people in it will have to consult with you anyway, regardless of the legal formalities.

Apart from anything Neil seems to have missed the point that the larger economies in the EU DO have more influence in it now and that's the case, again, regardless of the fact there's no legal basis for it to happen.

IOW we will obviously lose influence but the extreme brexit nutters line, (that we'll be rule takers and not rule makers), is a rather one-eyed view of 'realpolitik' as it actually happens.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm just curious....are there any palm trees in Brussels? :unsure:

[​IMG]

4. There's a Palm in Steenhuffel, 12.5 miles from Brussels:
    upload_2019-4-5_21-24-33.png

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Now that isn't what I was responding to. I agree with what you have written here but you said another vote solves nothing. If a 2nd ref is given then it depends on the question asked.

I don't want a 2nd ref btw

6. Got the feeling they're stalling the Brexit decision so that the geriatrics that voted leave become part of the mortality stats and then decide a new referendum.

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Amazing

charlie15 repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. The description of a 2nd referendum as 'sub-optimal' is almost the very definition of British understatement*

But if we ask a question and give 4 or 5 relatively clear options on an AV/instant run-off basis then we should get a pretty clear answer.

I think it will be divisive but it's not like what we have now is exactly uniting the country and the other fear, (that it might lead to a 'no-deal' option being chosen), isn't a realistic possibility.

IMO there is literally NO chance of more than 50% of the British population choosing no-deal as their 1st option. The latest figures I've seen from polls is it's about 15-20%, essentially because that's the percentage of complete morons who don't actually know what it means.

The most likely outcome would either be a remain verdict or a Norway-style/EEA-EFTA/Common Market 2.0 deal if that was offered. None of those are that bad, although some are more problematic than others, obviously.

* Although, in the age of clowns like Boris Johnson, Rees-Mogg and this new Francois arsehole, is that really 'a thing'?

9. Can't somebody call in a doctor and declare her clearly insane and lock her up?

10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an utter embarrassment for the UK. Now they have to be dictated by the EU on the length of the extension.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Must be fun to be Europe's cat toy

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Brummie repped this.
  13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Not via normal process. They can only have one no confidence vote every 12 months, and had one in December. They can try to force her out with resignations, but I get the impression that she's slightly stubborn so that may not work.

Speaking of no confidence votes, one MP (Anne Marie Morris) said she would vote for no confidence in May, but not if it was brought by Labour. Nobody has double standards like a Tory MP.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The ERG moved against her too early under Tory party rules

I think it most likely she resigns

15. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    The ERG have the political skills of a goldfish. They've mis-played just about everything they've done in the last couple of years.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Brexit is a fascinating example of a revolutionary movement which is driven by increasingly zealot style ideology rather than practical politics.

I agree as a parliamentary group ERG are clowns. They are a bunch of wreckers who haven't been able to coalesce around any legislative compromise.

The lack of parliamentary skills across the Tory party is actually quite fascinating.

17. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
  18. We're practicing with this mouse to deal with the Orange Rat across the ocean later.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was the case with the previous extension as well. They don't want a 'no deal' either.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's interesting seeing this threat from the swivel-eyed ERG brigade which is remarkably similar to France's 'Empty Chair Policy' back in the day which various European politicians, (including the then British equivalents of the modern day ERG's), called typical of the intransigence of European politicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallstein_Commission#Empty_chair_crisis

21. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Yay, we have another 6 months of this shambles! :D

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've been given an extension because the dog ate our homework and we've got to do it again.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It looks like the 'radiator-hugger' on the other side of the classroom has caught the teacher's eye instead of us...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rmony-in-brussels-as-macron-sings-out-of-tune

:giggle:

But she's still got her eye on us...

Speaking later to journalist, Tusk said the extension was “as flexible” although “a little bit shorter than I expected. But it’s still enough to find the best possible solution.”

His parting message to the UK: “please do not waste this time.”

:eek:

24. Well, it gives us a chance to replace this
    [​IMG]
    With a chilling scary Halloween version.
    Any suggestions?

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about this?

[​IMG]