Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Neither do the DUP or the Tingers. There's no numbers for an election unless 30+ Tories break ranks, which won't happen.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ah you mean like the AfD? or the italian nutters?

I guess so, although none of the EU27 really have any domestic optics issues as the UK has been so pathetic

Here in germany no one will care if the EU is "mean"

charlie15 repped this.
  3. :ROFLMAO:Because the EU almost is Germany.;)

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well as you know in general leaving the EU doesn't have much support outside of the UK

It really isn't on the domestic agenda most places

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on mate...That has been reported by all the other parties.
    Most of us here are sympathetic if not supportive of Labour but let's be honest, that was a bush league move by Corbyn. A self inflicted wound that could have been easily avoided. You can criticize the deal leader from time to time....:rolleyes:

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comment. I have been to the UK 6 or 7 times the last ten years, twice I have been faced with with what I would describe open hostility by UK customs officers (once at LHT and the other at Gare du Nord). I was really taken aback by that.

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    When i was there last month they had goons trawling around harassing people even after you got stamped in

8. Maybe they would if the UK stayed in:D

9. Going to be such a relief the Spanish beaches will miss out on the hords of low class English baboons or Amsterdam with all those low class stag and hen party goers.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putin is the greatest spymaster of all time, right? Given the margins, he pulled off both operations.

11. He probably also made his MH17 complicity denier Baudet win yesterdays Dutch election.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually it was about half one but I'm often up and about at that time. Have been ever since I retired, tbh.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This sounds more like it...

Barry Gardiner, the shadow secretary of state for international trade, told the Today programme that Corbyn had already held a “20-minute, one-on-one” conversation with Theresa May and that the meeting the Labour leader left was actually with David Lidington, the de facto deputy prime minister.

He also said participants in the meeting that Corbyn missed later said the prime minister had refused to cede any ground on her red lines.

You have to bear in mind that NONE of the people there are inclined to tell the truth bout what happened.

Now, personally I agree that, politically, it would have been smarter to have just sat there for the entire period but, as Baz Gardiner says...

Gardiner defended Corbyn’s walkout by questioning the legitimacy of the Independent Group. Speaking to BBC Breakfast, he said:

Political parties have transparency about their funding arrangements. The Independent Group does not. My understanding is that they were there not for that meeting originally.

They were there for a meeting with David Lidington and because No 10 didn’t get its meetings sorted out they happened to be in the same room. It was chaos.

It is not about the process, it is about the substance. The people who came out of that meeting said ‘this meeting was simply for show, this meeting was simply so she could pretend that she was listening.’ She did not listen, she has not changed her red lines, she is not willing to compromise.

Also, (and I'm not talking about you to be clear), it's strange to hear people that readily complain about the Koch brothers and others funding various things like the heritage foundation, the institute of economic affairs, now seem entirely unconcerned about this new 'tigger' group who are ALSO funded by shadowy figures in the background.

I can only assume it's because they essentially agree with their thinking but, there we are.

Edit: Oh, btw, I've just heard that that Anna Soubry was ALSO in the meeting. It seems like quite a few of this group of people were there in the meeting with Lidington.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Having said that May's dangerous and counterproductive call to blame the electorate, (the MP's in her case), is something I like he sound of.

I may adopt the same approach when I'm canvassing for votes. I shall knock on doors and say, 'Well, YOU'RE obviously a fecking idiot who can barely tie his own shoelaces but, will you vote for me?'.

Yeah, that sounds like it might work. What could possibly go wrong.

roby and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Try to avoid Canal St. They're probably all Torries anyways. :cautious:

[​IMG]

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news everyone! Things are going great in Brussels! May's lackluster response to what she planned to do if her plan was rejected again has bolstered the position for hardliners France and Belgium and may result in a May 7 date.

Related.. Has anyone talked to Bercow since May announced she was just going to offer up the same motion next week? Is he going to allow a revote on a basically unchanged motion where the only real change is going to be a modified exit date and conditions that need to be met for that date to be triggered?

charlie15 repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is simply shocking. It is a clusterf**** and May does not seen to have a clue.

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, here it is folks..

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/38744/21-euco-art50-conclusions-en.pdf

EU agrees to extending Brexit until May 22, but only if Parliament accepts May's deal. if Parliament rejects May's deal, Brexit will be extended only to April 12 to give the UK the opportunity for a plan forward. During that window, the UK must decided if they'll accept a No Deal Brexit, a long delay, or revoking Article. However, the EU has reiterated that the deal is the deal and that the EU will no renegotiate (I'm assuming unless the UK comes up with some sort of guidance on what they will accept). In the meantime, the EU will prepare for a No Deal Brexit.

19. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reads to me like the following is a possibility:

- Parliament rejects (or doesn't vote on) May's deal, so Brexit is only extended to April 12;
    - During that window, the UK opts for long delay.

. . .which has the same effect as giving them a longer extension from the start.

ceezmad repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Gt Britain is just getting their comeuppance for causing the Boston Tea Party by taxing without representation. They're getting their lumps now as the British people don't appear to have any representation either. :coffee:

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    European businesses seem to think that nobody is ready for a no-deal brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47661237

Most economists believe that the UK economy would suffer more than the wider remaining EU economy in the event of a no-deal rupture, both in the short term and the long term.

But particular EU industries heavily reliant on imports from and exports to the UK could still be very severely and disproportionately hit.

Business Europe has asked to meet with the Commission's deputy secretary general, Celine Gauer.

I know quite a lot about business supply chains in manufacturing and it's always made me laugh when I've heard people saying that brexit, for the EU, was a simple technical matter of almost NO consequence. Something they'd hardly notice if not for the complaints from Britain.

That is NOT how manufacturing works now.

22. JohnPaulJones

JohnPaulJones Red Card

Celtic Glasgow
    Jan 15, 2019
    Found this on facebook and I don't know how I'd feel if I got told by a Greek that I'm only costing money and I'm too lazy for work(min 4.00) ... Jamas!

Dr. Wankler and ToMhIlL repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that German?

A little sounded Portuguese to me.

24. jmartin1966