Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bread can get mouldy, you guys cant do anything

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    lanman repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe the EU will EUxit themselves.

First Italy, now France.

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is in a rather hopeless position, tho. Based on recent polling 1/3 would be prefer a clean break and almost half would prefer the UK to stay in the EU. I‘m not sure how anyone can navigate those numbers and end up somewhere between.

6. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    48 letters received by the 1922 Committee. May to now face a Vote of No Confidence, with a possible leadership election afterwards! :rolleyes:

It's hard to even predict what will happen in the next 24 hours these days :ROFLMAO:

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with that is while the British aren't in the euro, Italy or France exiting would result in having to destroy a currency and go back to old currencies. It's far too much risk. Much more likely, the Germans will just lift the cap on deficit spending.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    24 hours, eh!?

So... we're thinking long term, are we? :eek:

:giggle:

roby, song219 and dapip repped this.
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #calledit

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TBH that's why this stuff about the EU being determined to make the UK suffer to stop others doing the same thing is largely bullshit most of them CAN'T do the same thing. They are in a totally different situation.

The countries not in the euro but in the EU are Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

Of those the UK is leaving anyway, (on some basis still to be decided), and only the Danish and Sweden are in a position likely to even consider leaving the EU. The others are net beneficiaries of EU largess and benefit enormously from being in it. They gain cash payments and their people can move across the continent for better paid work than they'd get at home.

I mean, we gain... but there's a cost involved. For them, it's ALL a plus.

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I dunno...I wouldn't predict anything now.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we get a people's vote we might still stay in :)

Maybe the EU should get one of those humorous doormats...

[​IMG]

:D

Having said that, as I said before, a narrow 'win' would leave us in a very unsatisfactory position IMO. If that happens we'd be better to adopt some sort of EEA/EFTA fudge where we save a few quid a year but don't get much of a say in things. Not ideal but we lost sight of 'ideal' in the rear-view mirror a LOOOONG time ago :(

dapip and American Brummie repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I posted this in another thread a few days back and it sums up my overriding feeling of this whole episode.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/606-cant-keep-us-locked-down.1995148/page-7010#post-37341065

It's not that the original decision was that crazy. It was a bit daft but if we'd decided what we wanted we might have been able to negotiate it, or something approaching it. As it was the tories allowed a control freak nutcase to decide what the vote meant and the rest of us didn't get a look in.

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    For me, the issue was that the process and consequences of the option to leave were not defined prior to the vote. This allowed every different campaigner to claim something different ("nobody's talking about leaving the Single Market") and dismiss Remain arguments out of hand as "Project Fear". The voters were then able to latch on to whatever they thought was going to happen in their ideal world. Even now, there is no consensus among those who voted leave as to what it actually means although the extreme Leavers are defining it to their vision and contrary to what they put foward in the campaign..

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lets face it... you're just being shell-shocked from the downfall of your beloved empire

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that was exactly the problem.

I remember at the time people were saying that leave couldn't win because they had mixed messages but, even then, I thought that was the opposite of the truth. It was precisely because people could believe whichever 'flavour' of leave they wanted would be the one that would happen that was the reason they won.

TBH that is one way it's similar to donny tiny hands and how he won. The difference, of course, is that, with him, he was able to give totally different messages on his own :D He'd suggest that the poor and ordinary people would somehow be protected and, to the rich, he said they'd ALSO gain.

At least we had the excuse that we could believe Farage and his 'brave new world' of trade across the globe OR we could believe the 'minimal readjustment' version of a soft brexit from people in the main leave group that stressed the ease and simplicity of negotiating a deal continuing ALL of the same trade we have now with the EU.

For me, that's the nub of the issue. We're being asked to believe that ALL of the people that voted leave ALL thought it meant leaving the CU, IM and ECJ when people clearly voted leave for all sorts of reasons. Under those circumstances we needed to decide what was meant.

lanman repped this.
  17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BREAKING

Italian populists are caving in to EU

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they are about to get the French on their side.

I mean is good if the Italians do cave, the bond markets will hit them in the face if they do not.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont think so and it certainly wouldnt help them if was wrong since the ER does not negotiate

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Draft of Act I of "Les shambolics". Part I:
    [Macron and Merkel are alone in the meeting room in Brussels after all the other leaders have left. Late at night, at an EC meeting in the spring of 2018.]

Macron looks shyly up to Merkel. Macron walks up to Merkel and starts to sing. At first quietly, getting louder onwards as music starts to play:

[Macron's Part]
    You know I want it
    It's not a secret I try to hide
    I know you want it too
    So don't keep saying our hands are tied [music sets in]
    You claim hard Brexit is not in the cards
    Euro policy is pulling you miles away
    And out of reach from me
    But I think we agree in this
    So who can stop me if I decide
    That Brexit is our destiny?

What if we kick the Brits out? [Macron starts dancing around Merkel]
    Still our rules they'd have to apply
    Nothing could keep us apart
    The Irish backstop will be our pry!
    It's up to you, and it's up to me [Macron now walking arm in arm with Merkel]
    No one can say what we get to be
    So why don't we kick the Brits out?
    All of Europe could be ours [Macron pointing at a giant map of Europe]
    Tonight

[Merkel's Part]
    to follow

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <looks at calendar. confirms it says 2018. wonders what in the ever loving ******** this guy is talking about>
    I know it seems obvious now, but a vote for "leave" should have meant a referendum later on the terms of leaving. That would have been an obvious failsafe.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure of the connection there dave.

It's 2018 so you must have another referendum??? How does that work then?

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang on... is there a low, boring, droning noise I can hear in the background??? :eek:

:D

roby and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It's just the echos of the Fokkers! :cautious:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.