Neverending Story 3: The Ongoing Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I was cringing throughout. She basically begged the EU for a deal.

My favourite bit was how she complained at the EU for not explaining why they don't like the chequers plan when in fact they have repeated from the very start what is and what isn't acceptable so we knew they would reject this, and then she blamed them for this mess going on so late when it was the UK who waited 15 months into the 24 month process to event present the plan. :confused:

I quite liked a description of the UK I saw today, as being like a drunk person who has gone into Burger King and is demanding a Big Mac, yet every time the staff try to explain the situation to us we just get angrier and angrier and keep demanding our Big Mac

NORML and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hasn't it gone beyond a joke now?

It was only ever going to end at this point, more so after the 2017 general election when she lost her majority.

If she had any sense she'd have asked the HoC for a way to move forward at that point.

Part of the problem is, from my perspective, (as someone who's always been somewhat ambivalent about the EU but voted to remain), she's STILL trying to turn this into an 'us vs. them' argument. So she's saying the EU shouldn't insult Britain when it's NOT Britain... it's HER, the stupid cow.

It all rather reminds me of this...

Just watching that now it occurs to me that doesn't play quite as well as it did when it was produced?

The Biscuitman repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, let's not forget the Irish and Scots are welcome any time

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irish aren't leaving.;)

But, they can't let in Scotland without allowing Catalonia as well.

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah Northern (!!!)IRELAND(!!!) will remain an integral part of the union. The European one.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WB's a bit hazy on the details... that's why we all love him so much.

Also Scotland would have to adopt the euro if they wanted to join the EU on their own. Good luck with that :D

xtomx repped this.
  7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that an issue? Seems to me that a number of countries have made the transition to the Euro with varying degrees of success.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest they probably want to be a Germany, not a Greece.

https://fullfact.org/economy/tax-and-spending-scotland/

There's also the issue that the factor we're facing in terms of trade and borders count doubly for them and their level of trade with us.

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Have you met the Scottish?
    [that is a joke, the Scots are a lovely people in a lovely country, with great beer and whisky and a place I would like to retire)

Dr. Wankler and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't answer the question.. Spending more than you take in is not unusual for countries regardless of the currency that they use...

11. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    You just know Nicola Sturgeon wakes up every morning with a skip in her step hoping that day will be the one where N.I are offered some kind of special status, so she can immediately request the same thing.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You guys still owe us 60 bil EUR. Putting your taxes into new EU states United Ireland and Alba via structural funding should ease the burden.

And: As you didnt understand the EU you also dont understand the Scots who would rather be governed by Frankfurt banksters instead of hundreds of years of condescending shoving around in their country

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Their problems would be like ours but a lot worse. Who's going to lend them the money in their new currency?

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not having to process trade on WTO terms should help Scottish companies. They actually would be better off than you guys. Especially when trading with the mainland or Ireland.

But then again you also believed German car companies would come to your rescue and instead BMW will just shut down their MINI factory

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hypothesis: If the Irish can survive Brexit then so can NI and Scotland. Disprove it.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You realise that Ireland already HAD the euro whereas the Scots would have to adopt it, right? :cautious:

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah. Please proceed.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the same way it's up to the brexiters to show how we could prosper if we left the EU, (because it's their idea in the first place), it's up to the proposer of an idea to show how THEIR idea would work if was followed through.

So... YOU proceed :)

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    History provides us with the example of the GDR. You might not be that quite aware of it but 18 mil people left a far bigger political union and different economic model just to adopt the much stronger DM and they were a mess socially, culturally and economically. Not for nothing there is this saying in German that when something's a complete mess that it looks "like Dresden `45". 30 years later the whole place is flourishing landscapes. Federal states (in this case Germany instead of the EU) look after their not so lucky kids.

When you have Ireland nearby who are in the EU and Euro and their business model basically consists of dairy products and not taxing Amazon then Scotland (in the EU) can pull this off as well. That the Scots couldnt do it or wouldnt be better off is just another sign that you lot dont take anyone seriously who happens to live north of Yorkshire.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    GDR was on the same landmass as west Germany. The Scottish and Irish ports are hundreds of miles apart ACROSS the water. What the hell are you on about. You really do live in a fantasy world, don't yer :D

Anyway... so you're gonna bail out the scots the same as you did the GDR, are yer? FFS you won't even help out the damned Greeks and you benefit from their losses enormously. You also played a large part in their current predicament.

ceezmad repped this.
  22. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Looking likely that Labour will adopt a 2nd referendum as their official policy this week

Game changer?

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Forget about it. You're out. You can apply for membership again and then give up this silly currency for a serious one.

24. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I don't want a 2nd ref btw. Just saying what the news is.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think there's any chance of simply having another go at it in those bald terms. I'm thinking it will be a 2-stage thing along the lines of...

1. Do you want to remain in the EU - Yes/No
    2. If you answered No to the 1st question do you want to remain in the customs union and internal market - Yes/No

That's was how it should have been done in the first place, tbh, but call-me-dave didn't want to take the risk of having people think saying 'Leave' was a goer.

But if that's what had happened then it would have been a LOT less painful.

Frankly, we should have had an EEA-style referendum in '92 when Norway left.