Netherlands vs Spain, WC Group Game nr. 1/3.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jun 13, 2014.

?

How will this match end?

1. A big win for Spain (3 goal difference).

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. A small win for Spain.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. A draw.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. A small win for Netherlands.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. A big win for the Netherlands (3 goal difference).

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Chile looked like....well, Chile yesterday, I guess. Frankly, apart from the initial 2 goal onslaught, Australia had plenty of chances to score as well throughout the match, and only letting in a 3rd goal after coming close to equalizing many times. A slightly flattering result, as 2-1,3-2 or even a draw might have been a fairer result.

While never a fair gauge, but still, after one match Chile does not appear to be too troublesome an opponent. There is now a good chance that we could see a BRA-CHI r16 matchup.

2. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was very surprised by how tough Australia was. They played very well. I hope the Netherlands doesn't think it's going to be an easy game. They could very well suffer a let down game against a scrappy Aussie team.

3. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    We're all in uncharted waters here. Not only do the Spanish have to get out of the mental/physological state of being trashed, and somehow having to find their mojo over the remaining two matches, but now Oranje camp has to deal with how to approach the next match with caution and focus. It may be easier said than done.

And that's a good problem to carry with us, for a change :D

4. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  5. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good points. How is an arrogant side like Spain going to rebound after being thoroughly humbled? How will the Dutch move on after such an inspiring win? Will they keep their egos in check? Van Gaal has to know that Holland must tread carefully. Australia and Chile aren't pushovers.

6. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    [​IMG]

Congrats to the ladies on the World Cup win !!!! This is turning out to be a great weekend in the Netherlands. Good luck to the men's team tomorrow !!

DRB300 repped this.
  7. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It was nice to be underdogs while it lasted. Against Spain any result was a bonus, but now the games where a result is mandatory are coming up. Australia and Chile are each completely different challenges.

8. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ^True, that. Also, I find it extremely exciting that Sneijder is not yet at peak. He is giving me the impression that he is going to have a monster game, soon. Hopefully, that day will come when the other two's magic run dry. Janmaat is also due for a great contribution.

But speaking of Wesley, he's got to rid himself of his "stop" habits. On two occasions yesterday, he just stopped his play, just because the balls passed to him were not 100% at his feet.

9. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Best case scenario would be for Spain to beat Chile now and us to beat Australia. In that case we could afford to lose the final game and likely still top the group.

10. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    You made 5pa1n look weaker than Andorra ... tipping my hat at what probably will be the most exciting performance of Brazil2014 ... although if you keep this up, who knows what's in store for Holland.

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Still could not make myself analyse the players. Just living off the feeling from the game. This maybe even feels better than Euro 2008.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Go with the feeling ... it was a great game and I enjoyed it thoroughly ... no need to analyse everything. Haven't seen VI oranje yet ... will hear in a bit what snorremans has to say about LVG.

13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If Netherlands wins from Australia and Spain selects some players from their bench that are really good (Martinez and de Gea come to mind) to beat Chile, Netherlands practically qualify as nr. 1 from the group after June the 18th. That's just insane. The best thing ever is that we dodge Brazil. Could not make this up.

Australia has a winning record vs us. Always tough. Hope we can finally win against them. We will switch to 4-3-3 to do that by the way. Thought they gave Chile a run for their money after that horrible start.

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Two draws and one win for Australia, but all three games were friendlies. I watched them vs Chile and the only way they really got dangerous was from crosses into the box and I don't think that'll be a very succesful tactic against Vlaar & BMI. We're the heavy favourites, but so was Spain, so I hope the guys don't get complacent.

16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

While RvP is rated very high outside the Netherlands, Robben is the man in the Netherlands. With better bio mechanics and a chance to build one fit year on another, this player could have won the FIFA Ballon d'Or at least 1 time. Had he been fully fit, he also had made that 1 vs 1 against Casillas in 2010.

I know this as I have seen it with RvP. Always a huge talent, but exploded when he remained fit in his last 1.5 years at Arsenal. Then another fit season and he carried United to title 20. Remaining fit and being allowed to build one season on the next is vital to reach the absolute top. By that I mean becoming nr. 1 in the world.

It has always bothered me how Robben never had a fair chance. RvP and Robben are both unique players. However that 5-1 (the last goal) is something only Robben is able to do. Just outrun one of the fastest defenders from Spain who is whispered to be a dark horse candidate for the Ballon d'Or and finish it after a 50 meters run across the field. What a player.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Would be a good start if we win both hockey finals against them. Women lead the way with their win.

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Van Gaal his plan was to improve further during the tournament. To slowly become better and more gelled with fewer mistakes. That's what he said, that it'll take time. Hopefully he'll do that and isn't too distracted by the unexpected result (he said the scoreline was unexpected).

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I called out del Bosque's problems in a post a couple of weeks ago noting he was going to start the old guard against the Dutch. He did so and paid dearly. Keeper is not the big change he has to make (I'm not sure that de Gea would have made some of the saves that Casillas made the other night) but he has to get rid of the 4-2-3-1 and move to a more fluid 4-3-3. His midfield was in a shambles because he had players who are just too slow (Busquets, Xavi, & Xabi). They all need to go to the bench against Chile or he risks the same result. He's going to need to roll the dice and play with a single holding midfielder, Martinez, and pair him with Koke and Mata. David Silva cannot start on the wing as he always moves inside too quickly and they lose width; Pedro has to start on the right with Iniesta on the left. I would also start David Villa as striker since they need to get an early goal to set the game pace.

20. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    David Silva is a much better footballer than Mata and Cazorla. After Iniesta he is Spain's best player IMO. Mata is not even a poor man's Silva.

In an ideal world if Iniesta is playing LW and there is position for a CAM, then Silva should play there.

And Navas should have been there. I don't know his injury status but he brings pace, width and skill.

Negredo & Llorente should have been ahead of Villa-Torres who are finished. Negredo gives deceptive movement, Llorente gives aerial ability and physicality. Both are okay in link-up's. IMO they would have given a different option with Navas. More variety

21. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    We've never played competitively against Australia and the record looks worse than the actual matches. A 0-0 away draw and two home matches where the Netherlands went one up, but the lead was lost due to penalties. Only time the Netherlands conceded in open play was after a send off.

That said anything can happen, we've seen a number of surprises already. Costa Rica vs Uruguay show every game needs to be played with full commitment.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Silva is too undisciplined for the current Spanish team. He cannot stay in position on offense and his finishing is quite poor as we saw the other day. Mata is not ideal either but del Bosque made a number of mistakes in selecting the final team.

Another major error by del Bosque

The absence of both of these strikers is just too weird. Llorente had a very good season at Juventus and really would have given the team a true striker.

I think they will have a great deal of trouble against Chile.

23. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Congrats. Maybe this deserves a post in another thread.

Arjen Robben is officially the fastest man in FIFA history. @ 37km/hr he has created a new record.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't think so. What is your source?

[​IMG]